Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
12.05.2012 , 04:38 PM | #3701
A new thread will only serve as food for the trolls.

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.05.2012 , 04:39 PM | #3702
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
A new thread will only serve as food for the trolls.
I can't argue with this either. Maybe just bumping the old thread would be a wiser course?

Oh and I wanted to ask: What did you all (or ya'll) think about GLAAD's response from today?

Edit: Given as it is GLAAD and they have political pull, how should I even word the post? The trolls know who I am now and I'm sure they'd love the chance to report my Jedi butt.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.05.2012 , 04:44 PM | #3703
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
A new thread will only serve as food for the trolls.
Yes and it will likely get deleted and we'll get directed back to here, again. And again. And again.

But what do we do? Huddle down here in fear of the trolls, of the detractors and nay-sayers? I admit, I don't like coming into what I feel is one of the two 'safe-threads' on this forum, one of my threads, and seeing random strangers attack people I like, attack a subject that's dear to me and just generally get the bigoted spunk all over our nice picnic. But moving the picnic table to the far corner of the field where it's too far for most of the trolls to walk isn't the answer. I want to picnic in the sunny spot, damn it, and if they don't like the rainbow cupcakes they can just sod right off.

On GLAAD:
got it there:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=3686

and there:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=3692

adding:-
If GLAAD are contacting Bioware/EA on this matter, at least they're taking us seriously and that's something. It's nice to have someone who listens for a change.

fabiyun's Avatar


fabiyun
12.05.2012 , 04:48 PM | #3704
I think we need to leave GLAAD outside a discussion. This is about us, and what we want. I also don't think that we need a thread that's troll proof, derailing ready. It doesn't so much matter what we say, we just need to make a lot of noise while saying it. The FAQ, Timeline and so much else is in this thread. It won't go anywhere. But the point is that we make noise where people can actually see it, the trolls and derailers won't read any real info anyway, not unless they get a cookie. Plus every question or derailment can be answered to, that's a bump. If the trolls will attempt to silence, they achieve the opposite. Posting on general, is posting gloves off for me at this point. But I understand that maybe natashina, you want to refrain from that and simply quote from the faq and remain nice (I mean that). Others who are at a point of maybe not returning anyway, can be the bad cop.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.05.2012 , 04:48 PM | #3705
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Yes and it will likely get deleted and we'll get directed back to here, again. And again. And again.

But what do we do? Huddle down here in fear of the trolls, of the detractors and nay-sayers? I admit, I don't like coming into what I feel is one of the two 'safe-threads' on this forum, one of my threads, and seeing random strangers attack people I like, attack a subject that's dear to me and just generally get the bigoted spunk all over our nice picnic. But moving the picnic table to the far corner of the field where it's too far for most of the trolls to walk isn't the answer. I want to picnic in the sunny spot, damn it, and if they don't like the rainbow cupcakes they can just sod right off.
Coffee's brewing and I don't go cheap.

My whole take on this is to wait out the week. I know, me outta all people advising patience in here. In my very humble opinion, I feel we need to wait to get some more info from GLAAD before taking this out in public.

I'm a huge believer of "links or it didn't happen," so I want to come in there armed and ready with facts. It won't stop the trolls (nothing does short of bans,) but it will give our stance some more solid ground to stand on. That's where I stand on this.

Trust me, I'm not entirely thrilled this course of action.

However, if we come in there armed with links and support, then we have a chance. We probably should try to bump Uluain's thread to start.


Edit: Fabiyun(and others) how would you start the post?

Also, I got your pic of the Derailment Bingo.

Damnit, I need a B for Bingo this week! So close this morning, but oh well.

fabiyun's Avatar


fabiyun
12.05.2012 , 05:05 PM | #3706
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Coffee's brewing and I don't go cheap.

My whole take on this is to wait out the week. I know, me outta all people advising patience in here. In my very humble opinion, I feel we need to wait to get some more info from GLAAD before taking this out in public.

I'm a huge believer of "links or it didn't happen," so I want to come in there armed and ready with facts. It won't stop the trolls (nothing does short of bans,) but it will give our stance some more solid ground to stand on. That's where I stand on this.

Trust me, I'm not entirely thrilled this course of action.

However, if we come in there armed with links and support, then we have a chance. We probably should try to bump Uluain's thread to start.


Edit: Fabiyun, how you you start the post?

Also, I got your pic of the Derailment Bingo.

Damnit, I need a B for Bingo this week! So close this morning, but oh well.
Haha! That's a great way to keep our heads cool! Play Bingo while we're at it . In case some wonder, Bingo is often used in the battle against privilege and discrimination. I got acquainted with it through Derailing for Dummies (.com), great read if you're ever up to it.

For me going to general where we're not supposed to go, it is only for privileged people, is breaking my chains (enter other sith code parts here). That in and of itself is something that is powerful. But it is also a tradition to be visible, sometimes not with a particular message that means more than, we're here, deal with it. If they delete a thread, I don't care, start another. Trolls will come in, I don't care for their opinions. You can never have enough armour. This is about me shoving my agenda through their throats (LOL). I think that honestly humour is the only armour we can have.

Edit coming in a bit, to add -how to possibly go about it- making coffee
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
12.05.2012 , 05:05 PM | #3707
LOL yeah they are "watching us" now. Of course its only to reprimand and not to receive feedback but I guess that is actually better than what we've gotten the last 9 months. Take what you can get right?

Edit: Oh and yeah, I made a few posts in Uluain's old thread, just fyi (and the point of my last post actually).

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.05.2012 , 05:09 PM | #3708
Good thing I have coffee...

Anyhow, I'll say that we are definately going to need more concrete information from GLAAD before we take this to General forums for sure.

Don't fret guys. The trolls will come in, do their thing, get flagged/reported and life will move on.

Edit: Aww Fabiyun, welcome to the club!

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
12.05.2012 , 05:11 PM | #3709
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Good thing I have coffee...

Anyhow, I'll say that we are definately going to need more concrete information from GLAAD before we take this to General forums for sure.

Don't fret guys. The trolls will come in, do their thing, get flagged/reported and life will move on.
I don't think so. Moving out to general is about the best idea I've heard here in a long time. Whether any thing ever pans out from GLAAD is irrelevent. Just moving the discussion to a more visible venue is a statement in and of itself. Just remember to ignore the trolls, flag and move on.

fabiyun's Avatar


fabiyun
12.05.2012 , 05:21 PM | #3710
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
I don't think so. Moving out to general is about the best idea I've heard here in a long time. Whether any thing ever pans out from GLAAD is irrelevent. Just moving the discussion to a more visible venue is a statement in and of itself. Just remember to ignore the trolls, flag and move on.
^That! It's really not about the content of posts, it's about visibility.
And we can't make comments for or about GLAAD, they do their part. We do ours. And that is telling BW what is needed. Be visible. Make noise. Nothing more to it.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"