Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ketchum
12.05.2012 , 03:06 PM | #3681
GLAAD replied to my message on FaceBook

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks for your message. We reached out again today to EA/BioWare for more information on this.

Thanks!
Once again, yay us!
Murder and mayhem await

Tatile
12.05.2012 , 03:12 PM | #3682
Academia still holds some sway in parts of the world, JC, I hope your letter can open a few doors

On a related note I PM'd Uluain's parting message in Did I Hear This Right? to Ms. Berryman, with my own notes. I don't expect my message shall be read, replied to or even acknowledged before it is deleted, but I do like to remind the mods that I exist.

I did thank her for taking the time to talk to Mr. Schubert about chat bubbles though. As we all know they were promised during beta after a large public outcry following the denial of Bioware's history of including chat bubbles in its previous games...

Edit: Again? It seems not even GLAAD can get word from Bioware... they really DO hate us.

Ohamsie
12.05.2012 , 03:23 PM | #3683
I'm half expecting there to be droid NPCs named SG-RA in the Makeb expansion, and then they will say "See! We have SGRAs now!"
[THE EBON HAWK] The Groundflyer Legacy
Jedi Sentinel Oham | Sith Sorceror Catalon | Scoundrel Gartrick

Kioma
12.05.2012 , 03:28 PM | #3684
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Edit: Again? It seems not even GLAAD can get word from Bioware... they really DO hate us.
Two points to make here.

Firstly, EA/Bioware were staunch and unflinching (from what I heard) when being outright attacked by 'family friendly' homophobic political hate groups. It stands to reason they may adopt the same philosophy in the face of a group that sounds a great deal more polite. For that reason alone GLAAD may have no more success than us.

Secondly, if EA/Bioware do intend to speak to GLAAD, what a company would say to a fanbase is generally very different to how they would respond to an organisation. It may simply be taking them some time to rally and plan what to say and what not to say.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile
12.05.2012 , 03:28 PM | #3685
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohamsie View Post
I'm half expecting there to be droid NPCs named SG-RA in the Makeb expansion, and then they will say "See! We have SGRAs now!"
Well, Mr Hickman does like to mock his player base, so I wouldn't put it past him.

Slaign
12.05.2012 , 03:30 PM | #3686
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohamsie View Post
Sure, that would be grossly offensive to me and everyone else who cares about this issue.... But I appreciate comedy, and that would be hilarious.

JCisneros
12.05.2012 , 03:30 PM | #3687
Brief update, Hall Hood either is not allowed to or has chosen not to receive PMs. I sent the CC to JovethGonzalez.

Happy to see GLAAD reaching out to EA/BioWare! Keep those e-mails and letters going!

~JC

Tatile
12.05.2012 , 03:34 PM | #3688
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Two points to make here.

Firstly, EA/Bioware were staunch and unflinching (from what I heard) when being outright attacked by 'family friendly' homophobic political hate groups. It stands to reason they may adopt the same philosophy in the face of a group that sounds a great deal more polite. For that reason alone GLAAD may have no more success than us.

Secondly, if EA/Bioware do intend to speak to GLAAD, what a company would say to a fanbase is generally very different to how they would respond to an organisation. It may simply be taking them some time to rally and plan what to say and what not to say.
In the 'us' I was referring to those of us in the SGRA thread, rather than the LGBT community at large, but I do see your point. If EA/Bioware are preparing a statement, that implies that they don't believe that the copy-pasta they feed to their players is good enough for an organisation or that they might be unprepared for interest on this matter from an outside party, it might also be possible that they are going to try to up hold their false image of LGBT inclusivity without making any references to this particular case.

+5 points to me if the EA memo says they "do not discuss the particulars of individuals cases with individual games" or something to that affect, then follow it up with "we're proud to have LGBT positive content in all our games!"

+5 additional points for not having trans* people represented. +1 point for mentioning gender identity in the same breath as sexual preferences.

Taa daa. I can work in public relations, it just require copious amounts of bull sh*t! Easy.

Edit: @Slaign, if you don't appreciate the trivialisation of your concerns and the discrimination pitted against you and others like you in everyday life, you need to grow a thicker skin! People with privilege can do whatever the damn well please, they have privilege.

DarkTrooperV
12.05.2012 , 03:37 PM | #3689
Here is a letter I just sent to GLAAD in support of your cause.
Spoiler
The Joker: They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.

QwibQwib
12.05.2012 , 03:57 PM | #3690
I sent my letter to GLAAD. Hopefully this will get some sort of response from Bioware.