Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
12.04.2012 , 05:16 AM | #3611
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Or he isn't under any such false impression, and the forums really ARE the best place to get answers 'from those who can give them' (which appears, on this matter at least, to be nobody). He might be entirely, acutely and painfully aware of the issue, and we can't fairly intuit his attitude toward this matter because the forums may ACTUALLY be the best place. Sad state of affairs? Yes. But he may very well be aware of that, too.
You have a point, he does seem a little pleading in the first tweet. Still, I disagree with his assessment that the forums are the best place to get answers when they're clearly not read or, of course, when Bioware chooses to only answer the most frivolous of questions.

Either way it's good to see you back here, Kioma. I'll try to keep my insanity under wraps.

Also, I'm not amazing: http://tatiletotesamaze.tumblr.com/ - when I can figure out the rest of Tumblr (ugh) I'll see about getting that onto http://lgbtlaughs.tumblr.com/

Kioma
12.04.2012 , 05:41 AM | #3612
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
You have a point, he does seem a little pleading in the first tweet. Still, I disagree with his assessment that the forums are the best place to get answers when they're clearly not read or, of course, when Bioware chooses to only answer the most frivolous of questions.
Bear in mind 'the best' doesn't necessarily mean 'good'. It could easily mean 'not quite as bad as the other options'.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Either way it's good to see you back here, Kioma. I'll try to keep my insanity under wraps.
Nice to be back. It's just a shame that SGRAs haven't been implemented as yet.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Eleuril
12.04.2012 , 05:44 AM | #3613
I get the feeling from Hall Hood's tweet that he would love to be able to give us information but isn't allowed to.

Edit: I mean this one:

Quote:
Hall Hood ‏@hallhood

I'd answer every question people ask me about #SWTOR if I could, but it's not always my right to do so. Hope people can understand that.

Kioma
12.04.2012 , 05:56 AM | #3614
Quote: Originally Posted by Eleuril View Post
I get the feeling from Hall Hood's tweet that he would love to be able to give us information but isn't allowed to.

Edit: I mean this one:
That's the feeling I get too - of a man backed into a corner by someone else's rules and not wanting to be there.

Doomsdaycomes
12.04.2012 , 06:20 AM | #3615
^_^ Hey all.

I know I'm a little late to this discusion, and I confess I've not the entire thing, but maybe even one more post in favor can keep this (extremely long) thread current and help show some support.

I realize adding new content takes developer time, and there are several other issues that many will deem "more important" but I personally think it's a shame we're almost to 2013, and companies still shy away from same-gender romance options. (Was anyone else kinda pissed you couldn't romance Jack as FemsShep, even though she was clearly a bisexual character?)

I play female characters (=P so I can dress them up and stomp people) and I -hate- most of the guy companions you can romance:

Spoiler

^_^ I prefer women myself, and so either romancing a male or being forced to play a male to romance my chosen gender is... well a disconnect. Most of my characters remain single.

I would think the Star Wars universe has no galactic lore specific reason for there to be a romance "norm" and would love to see the Dev's branch out into something that should be more and more common.

(On a side note, I was always so distressed in Kotor 2 that I had to play a guy to even get Handmaiden. :-( I always did, because life without her (even without the option to romance her) wasn't worth playing. I would love a Handmaiden companion please!)

BumBoi
12.04.2012 , 06:58 AM | #3616
i also agree this needs to be added soon i only recently started playing again and i was kinda surprised they still are yet to add this to it. i would obv like to play a male character based on myself and romace a guy it seems unfair we have had to wait so long

Jedikuonji
12.04.2012 , 10:21 AM | #3617
Well, I'm out of characters to play until SGRs are put in (or we're told they aren't coming). Was contemplating playing another character anyway, then my server crashed. Maybe it's a sign.

fabiyun
12.04.2012 , 10:24 AM | #3618
I posted in Darth Hater's Open Forum, figured it couldn't hurt. And the respondent who's not unsympathetic to the cause, but not particularly in favour either, does seem to share my thoughts about the time table and the way they might go about this.

Quote:
#13 fabiyun Posted 4 days ago
The one thing that's really been bugging since before launch is the way they've dealt with SGR content. From the community discussing its implementation before launch, to a dev laughing it off with "there are no gays in star wars" to a short statement of oops it's coming. And since then there has only been silence. It doesn't matter how often and how many of us ask at every opportunity we get, it doesn't matter that we have a 3000+ topic going on, they refuse to address us.

Do you think Darth Hater could ask the dev team when you have a call conference with them again?
Quote:
#26 iceberg265 Posted 2 days ago
Seriously what do you want them to say? They've said "it is still coming, no ETA" plenty of times, would it really make you feel any better to have them say it again?
Quote:
#28 fabiyun Posted 2 days ago
Actually they haven't. The last anyone said was "this year", 9 months ago, which clearly isn't happening. If they can address random game requests on a regular basis, they can this as well.
I also want to know how they're going to implement it. They've not spoken a single word about what it's going to be like. Are they rewriting existing companions? Does that mean we shouldn't talk to our companions or be forced to roll a new toon. Or are new companions coming? Can we expect companions for every class and for every gender? There's really a lot of us want to know about this content. And BW Austin has said nothing. Meanwhile many have subs but are not playing because they fear it will be for nothing, they don't want their stories spoiled, they just want a play through like everyone else. Or like me, personally I don't want to be reminded all the time with the many flirt options that I cannot flirt with whomever I might possibly be interested in.
Quote:
#34 iceberg265 Posted 1 day ago
Well they did answer at least one of those questions. You can go ahead and play your characters. The existing companions are not going to suddenly realize they are gay/bi after being straight for over a year.

I am about 80% sure that I heard that there will be gay/bi NPCs in Makeb, but I have not heard anything about new companions. I would expect that there would be new companions at some point, possibly in an expansion, and those would have it enabled.

Of course this is just another player posting their views. But one who's got distance from the topic, and doesn't have hopes for it going either way. The possibility of NPCs in Makeb was also discussed here for a while right? But gone down perhaps in the hope of something more. And the poster also thinks current companions aren't likely to change. This of course means little, it's not BW Austin's words, it's just another user, but I do value a viewpoint from someone who's not got an interest in this matter.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/f...e-thing?page=2
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

stuffystuffs
12.04.2012 , 11:13 AM | #3619
There's been no mention of SGRA's with NPCs in Makeb.

The last thing we got was this:

Quote:
When we do this, we wanna do it right, we wanna do it with the characters that make sense, that we always knew that we wanted to do it for those, so you guys know and we've talked about it before, it ended up being a budget and scheduling issue. There are romance arcs that we wanted to do that didn't make it in the game, we knew which characters (I'm not gonna tell you)... [some audience joking about characters] So the short answer is, it's never changed, it's still coming, it's coming when full story comes, and when is full story coming? This year. So we are still on track.
From Erickson, which seems to imply that some existing companions would have the SGRA romances that were intended before launch (but didn't make it). I'd argue that the characters aren't being re-written in this scenario nor suddenly realizing that they are gay.

Kioma
12.04.2012 , 11:15 AM | #3620
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I'd argue that the characters aren't being re-written in this scenario nor suddenly realizing that they are gay.
I'd argue that it's a long overdue bug-fix.