Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

wainot-keel
07.18.2012 , 02:51 PM | #351
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Respectfully, I disagree. I'd have agreed if you'd said that only Isabela was really, really open about it. Anders comes in second on that score (as long as you don't count Zevran). As for the others, we don't know if they were 'Hawkesexual' or just not as blatant about their tastes as Isabela was.
If you're refering to Anders's convo about him and Karl, I think you can only hear about it when you play a maleHawke. Most my hawkes were female and I don't recall any other stuff about Anders and men.

As for the bolded part, that's kinda the point. We don't know. One can say "everyone is bi" using knowledge that is not present in a specific game (a unique reality). We don't know, it just looks like trying to force a label on companions that is not needed.
We don't know if Quinn does or doesn't like men. We only know that a male PC can't flirt with him, that can't pursuit his romance.

stuffystuffs
07.18.2012 , 03:16 PM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
It's the Oreo cookie fiasco, merely in game form. I personally think the number of people who are likely to leave the game over this is going to be quite small; there are bound to be more people who want to experience an SGR with their characters, even if it is "ooh look, lesbians" (I'll come out of my extremely shallow closet and say I'm really starting from an "ooh look, hot gays" position, bolstered by feeling a bit of a guilty Ally).
There's no shame in thinking lesbians/gays are hot XD

Tatile
07.18.2012 , 03:18 PM | #353
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
*giggles like a schoolgirl* Why do you think I write so many stories about my little Agent/Jedi pairing? I <3 my boys.

billyboyjennings
07.18.2012 , 05:06 PM | #354
Quote: Originally Posted by Kraavick View Post
I personally would leave this game if such a thing were implemented, as I am strongly against it.

I think it's ridiculous that someone would just pick up and leave if same sex relationships were implemented.
In this game, you can choose to execute an entire group of POWs by firing squad. You can mercilessly choke a civilian and then snap his neck with the force. You can own a slave and treat them like crap. You can cheat, lie, steal and murder if you want.
But, OH NO!!! Two people of the same sex having the option to start a romantic relationship!! Blasphemy! Heresy! That's the worse possible thing you can implement!!! I'm uninstalling IMMEDIATELY!!!111

Seriously.

What a joke.
"In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was gonna turn into such a popular character, I probably would've made it a little bit more exciting." - George Lucas, RotJ DVD Commentary, 2004
DEAL WITH IT, FANBOYS

Captain_Zone
07.18.2012 , 05:20 PM | #355
Two ladies kissing. It's a beautiful thing, man. Just a beautiful thing.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

MusedMoose
07.18.2012 , 06:26 PM | #356
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
*giggles like a schoolgirl* Why do you think I write so many stories about my little Agent/Jedi pairing? I <3 my boys.
Quoted for emphasis. While I do believe in respecting people for who they are, I also know there are tons of people who love reading/watching same-sex romance and all that goes with it. Seriously, go to any place on the internet where people post fanfic. Odds are good you'll find more than a little slash (male/male) and femslash (female/female) stories. You might find some that I've written. I have serious doubts that implementing SGRs will have a negative effect on TOR's subscription numbers; it might even give them a bit of a boost. Hell, I know some people have unsubscribed because of the lack of SGRs, saying they'll only come back when the feature is added. So there's that.

Here's a thought: in the spirit of SGRs and slash/femslash fanfic, which companions would you pair up if you were writing a story about them? Kaliyo trying to seduce Vette would be hilarious, methinks. And I'd love to write Kira and Mako having awesome adventures. ...now that I think about it, that doesn't even have to be femslash, they just seem like they'd have all kinds of fun and get into all kinds of trouble together...

Trolltar
07.18.2012 , 08:39 PM | #357
I imagine that in terms of subscribers you'll probably see a wash. While there may be a large number of people will to use the feature its not likely to greatly influence subsriber numbers. Likewise, while there may be a significant number of people turned off by the feature because its a part of the game that relatively individualistic its not likely to drive away a large number of subscribers. Maybe if we were talking about having a gay parade drive through the fleet at all hours of the day that would drive large numbers of subscribers away, but even then I'm not so sure.

Either way, I think its a nice gesture to make towards a relatively small segment of the population but it isn't likely to be a big money maker. Which is why I generally favor an implementation that doesn't spend significant resources on features likely to enjoyed by a relatively small part of the fanbase (modifying existing companions) and prefer resources be spent on new content for everyone (new companions with same gender enabled).
Merkavah:MEMBER
PAXDOMINUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

iamthehoyden
07.18.2012 , 08:56 PM | #358
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
Which is why I generally favor an implementation that doesn't spend significant resources on features likely to enjoyed by a relatively small part of the fanbase (modifying existing companions) and prefer resources be spent on new content for everyone (new companions with same gender enabled).
But if you consider the companions as individuals with their own distinct personalities it makes more sense for implementation of SGRs to be a mix of existing companions and new ones. Sexuality is very much a part of who someone is. To just put in a slew of new companions who just happen to be bi would be a lazy way of implementing something that could add additional depth to the characters we already know. It makes more sense to me that some of our companions (both current ones and those implemented in the future) are OGRs, some are SGRs, and some are both. That means that I may run into a situation where one of my hetero girls may have a guy on her crew who prefers guys or a girl who would like to be with her who she's not interested in. That, to me, reflects the range of relationships you run into in life.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Uluain
07.18.2012 , 08:57 PM | #359
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I think its a nice gesture to make towards a relatively small segment of the population.
How awfully kind of you.

Had you been with this topic for a while, you would understand that the number of players wishing to see this long-promised content implemented include many who are not lesbian, gay or bisexual. I believe your "relatively small segment" is a lot larger than you suspect.

Try not to be condescending. It's not attractive.

Quote:
I generally favor an implementation that doesn't spend significant resources on features likely to enjoyed by a relatively small part of the fanbase (modifying existing companions) and prefer resources be spent on new content for everyone (new companions with same gender enabled).
And yet opposite-gender content was in the game at release. Players know these companions. They have favorites, whose stories they have explored. Mako, Kira, Corso, Quinn... others get named as well, but you will hear those mentioned frequently. Now, is it remotely fair that we have gotten attached to these companions, who have been romanceable since release, but never to make them available for same-gender romance?

What features do you imagine "everyone" will enjoy? It probably really just means "content I want more."

RoyalTTown
07.18.2012 , 10:10 PM | #360
Quote: Originally Posted by Stugotz View Post
That is pretty ridiculous! More paying customers would leave the game then it would gain from adding such a feature. The "huge fanbase" that you claim is more likely just wishful thinking. There is only a small minority that would use such a feature and adding it would be a huge waste of time and resources. Bioware says (like many game companies) that it will be added in the future. We'll see if that is accurate or not and I'm sure if it is that the exodus of paying customers that it brings may make them regret such a decision, if the feature ever even makes it in game.
I'm not so sure I agree with this, but unless a valid polling is done, we will not know. I'm sure a company does not get as big as Bioware by ignoring marketing facts. If their marketing research department determines that this is a valid point, then they will add the content. If not, they won't. Just because they alluded to the content being added, does not mean it will be added. Just because they plan to add it, does not mean they actually will. Companies do it all the time. Unless you have a written contract with BW to add the content, don't bet the farm on it.