Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

fabiyun
12.02.2012 , 09:31 PM | #3521
I think everyone could use more glitter, rainbows and unicorns. Who knows, if BW Austin ever got serious about being inclusive we'll see Cartel Pride Packs. With unicorn pets, rainbow laser eyes, male holo dancers, slave boy outfits, etc

And if that'd make the haters angry, that'd make me crack up.
Don't underestimate the sour side of the force.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Zandilar
12.02.2012 , 09:50 PM | #3522
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Sorry Zand I think you are stretching a bit there. I haven't bothered to read the article (why should I none of the companions offer me anything) but that example doesn't scream to me they are planning ahead or being sensitive about the issue. Like you said its just a common usage to show possessiveness. I don't read that as a deliberate attempt to show gender neutrality.
The line in question talks about the romantic relationship between Vette and a Sith Warrior, which we know can be either male or female, using a commonly accepted genderless possessive pronoun. If they had intended to talk about only the male Sith Warrior, there is no reason why they wouldn't have used HIS instead of THEIR. You'd only use THEIR in that sort of sentence when the gender was unknown.

And just so I know we're all on the same page on this - THIS is the line I was referring to...

"So how can the Warrior make their relationship with Vette work without it becoming a weakness?"

Not "So how can the Warrior make his relationship with Vette...."
Nor "So how can the Warrior and Vette make their relationship..."
But "So how can the Warrior make their relationship..."

I was just trying to point out something that I thought was interesting and relevant, I was not trying to defend EAWare in any way shape or form.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Kioma
12.02.2012 , 09:59 PM | #3523
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
You'd only use THEIR in that sort of sentence when the gender was unknown.
Unknown or irrelevant, yes. It certainly is interesting as points go. Me, personally, I think it's probably just the writer's mode of writing rather than some sly hint or backside-covering going on.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Zandilar
12.02.2012 , 10:04 PM | #3524
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Unknown or irrelevant, yes. It certainly is interesting as points go. Me, personally, I think it's probably just the writer's mode of writing rather than some sly hint or backside-covering going on.
If they were referring to something that only males can do, there's still no reason not to use male pronouns.

Yes, maybe it's the writer's style... but people were pointing out the same thing about Kira's blog, and that was written by someone else. Maybe it's just that Kira is WAY more popular here than Vette. *shrugs*
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

natashina
12.02.2012 , 10:14 PM | #3525
Ah, passions fuel a Sith's strength!

I have emailed to the following websites:

• kotaku.com
  • gaygamer.net
  • 1up.com

And I'm reattempting to send the one to destructoid.com

Do I care anymore if it's just us?

Nope.

Do I care that this won't be taken seriously?

Nope. Not like we've been taken seriously prior to this point.

Do I think that this might not work?

Yes. No harm in trying and we might surprise ourselves.

Let's get really fired up. I think the huffingpost is my next call. I won't blow up the forums, but I'm going to hit just about every site that I think might care.

Nozybidaj
12.02.2012 , 10:19 PM | #3526
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post

I was just trying to point out something that I thought was interesting and relevant, I was not trying to defend EAWare in any way shape or form.
Oh I know, was just saying I think you are reading something into it that isn't there. I don't believe BW would think about SGR's enough to care how they word their blog articles.

Nozybidaj
12.02.2012 , 10:23 PM | #3527
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

Let's get really fired up. I think the huffingpost is my next call. I won't blow up the forums, but I'm going to hit just about every site that I think might care.
I'm glad some of you can still get fired up, hope all your efforts get something out of them.

Me though, after a year of this nonsense I find I can't get the motivation beyond just chatting in the thread here. Been ignored by a lot more important folks than EA and BW before and I really don't think it'll do any good in the end. Even if they are forced to say something the content still isn't coming.

DarthAeonis
12.02.2012 , 10:24 PM | #3528
i must say i love the atmosphere this thread gives (minus the now again individuals who pop in) very positive community as an earlier post said. tho thats ur gay love for ya. but question... what do u think is the largest demographic that actually wants the sgrs in this game (or any game for that matter) from reading post of the past i assumed most ppl on here were older. im 21 so i'd expect to younger peeps to be more adamant and desiring of them.
"Evil is an illusion, there is only victory."

natashina
12.02.2012 , 10:27 PM | #3529
A lot of us are in our 30s and 40s, actually. I'm 33.

DarthAeonis
12.02.2012 , 10:33 PM | #3530
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
A lot of us are in our 30s and 40s, actually. I'm 33.
hmm i thought so. u in particular have a mature demeanor about u. now i feel like a baby
"Evil is an illusion, there is only victory."