Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RoyalTTown's Avatar


RoyalTTown
07.18.2012 , 01:03 PM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
To a lot of people it is a really big deal that affects their gameplay - as a hardcore roleplayer, some of my characters (Specifically my Assassin and my Sage) are strictly homosexual and I would like their in-game story to reflect that.

To others the issue of equal representation is also a big deal. Wether you simply care about the political side or are part of the LGBT community, or as in my case, are involved with a member of the community (my girlfriend being a "T") it is hard to ignore the fact that a game where romance can be a big part of the experience somehow refuses to acknowledge the existence of alternate sexuality. I'm not going to get into a discussion about the merits, just saying that it's a lot more than just a nice option to have, to some people.
I understand that this is a big issue for "Your Game Play", however, as I said in my previous post, is it a deal breaker for a significant number of gamers that will cause a threatening revenue loss in the overall scheme of things? You may say yes, but from a marketing standpoint, I would venture to say no. I know you would like to believe that you leaving the game over this will cause someone high up in BW management to lose sleep, but unless you have over 100 accounts (which I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't) chance are, it won't.

As much as we would like to believe that it's about making everyone happy, and equal representation, and all the other political sound bites, bottom line, it's about the money. BW doesn't make this game to cater to certain demographics. It's like an Oriental saying, "Why isn't there more Asian NPC's". BW made this game to make money. And, they are going to make the fixes and changes the produce the most profit.

RoyalTTown's Avatar


RoyalTTown
07.18.2012 , 01:09 PM | #342
Quote: Originally Posted by cool-dude View Post
Still say that all romances should be cut out all together.
I would venture to agree if this is going to cause such controversy.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
07.18.2012 , 01:52 PM | #343
Quote: Originally Posted by RoyalTTown View Post
I would venture to agree if this is going to cause such controversy.
Which particular controversy? There's heat on both sides of the SGRA fence, agreed, but SGRA options will be a part of the game. Bioware have stated that. When it happens exactly the same thing is going to occur whenever any patch comes out: the players will reassess to see if this is still the game they want to play.

The 'controversy' arises when people start jumping up and down about the way things 'should' or 'should not' be.

In the end the company must keep making money to continue the game. I absolutely agree. Companies eat money; without it they starve and die. But is this change going to cause such a huge kerfuffle that people are going to start leaving in droves purely because they suddenly have the option to flirt with people of the same gender?

I sure hope not. It doesn't speak well for people's relative maturity levels if they're going to quit because something they won't utilise is put into the game. It'll be there for those of us that want it and it won't be compulsory for those who don't want it. Nobody has to quit and everyone other than the die-hard extremists on both sides are happy (because nothing really pleases an extremist anyway).

Is there a controversy? That's down to opinion of what classifies as a 'controversy', perhaps. If the arguments in this thread are what you're going on then you'd better pop over to the PvP threads and demand that be removed, because people argue about that all the time too.

But there certainly doesn't need to be a controversy. Particularly over an element of the game that's been confirmed as coming. It's wait-and-see time.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
07.18.2012 , 02:04 PM | #344
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I sure hope not. It doesn't speak well for people's relative maturity levels if they're going to quit because something they won't utilise is put into the game. It'll be there for those of us that want it and it won't be compulsory for those who don't want it. Nobody has to quit and everyone other than the die-hard extremists on both sides are happy (because nothing really pleases an extremist anyway).
It's the Oreo cookie fiasco, merely in game form. I personally think the number of people who are likely to leave the game over this is going to be quite small; there are bound to be more people who want to experience an SGR with their characters, even if it is "ooh look, lesbians" (I'll come out of my extremely shallow closet and say I'm really starting from an "ooh look, hot gays" position, bolstered by feeling a bit of a guilty Ally).

I'm sure Kaft went "ooh, look at our facebook page!" when their so-called controversy started, but a number of people also stated their support and that they would simply buy oreo cookies out of spite for the homophobes. Any media attention generated by Bioware's introduction of SGR's could possibly yield the same result: people buying the game to spite nay-sayers and, hopefully, finding that they like it in general and not merely for the "ooh look, lesbians/hot gays" and continuing to play.

But, as you said, this thread is to discuss the capacity in which SGR's will be implemented and not whether they should be.

One will always find controversy in everything. If you think there isn't any, you're not looking hard enough.

HellbirdIV's Avatar


HellbirdIV
07.18.2012 , 02:10 PM | #345
Quote: Originally Posted by RoyalTTown View Post
I understand that this is a big issue for "Your Game Play", however, as I said in my previous post, is it a deal breaker for a significant number of gamers that will cause a threatening revenue loss in the overall scheme of things? You may say yes, but from a marketing standpoint, I would venture to say no. I know you would like to believe that you leaving the game over this will cause someone high up in BW management to lose sleep, but unless you have over 100 accounts (which I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't) chance are, it won't.
Who said anything about leaving the game? That wasn't a point I even lightly touched upon. As far as I'm concerned it's just a case of courtesy and respect for a large portion of the fanbase. The marketing side of it is irrelevant because same-sex romances shouldn't be a marketing ploy, it should be giving players more freedom in playing the stories they want to play.

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
07.18.2012 , 02:19 PM | #346
Quote: Originally Posted by RoyalTTown View Post
I understand that this is a big issue for "Your Game Play", however, as I said in my previous post, is it a deal breaker for a significant number of gamers that will cause a threatening revenue loss in the overall scheme of things? You may say yes, but from a marketing standpoint, I would venture to say no. I know you would like to believe that you leaving the game over this will cause someone high up in BW management to lose sleep, but unless you have over 100 accounts (which I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't) chance are, it won't.

As much as we would like to believe that it's about making everyone happy, and equal representation, and all the other political sound bites, bottom line, it's about the money. BW doesn't make this game to cater to certain demographics. It's like an Oriental saying, "Why isn't there more Asian NPC's". BW made this game to make money. And, they are going to make the fixes and changes the produce the most profit.
This entire argument hinges on the assumption that not many people want SGRAs, when exactly the opposite is true, BioWare have stated themselves they know this isn't some small demographic and they'd have to be poorly directed indeed not to build on their huge LGBT fanbase.

Annoying the intolerant, and even having some of them leave, is negligible in comparison to the amount of subscribers they could gain from releasing such content.

Stugotz's Avatar


Stugotz
07.18.2012 , 02:32 PM | #347
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
This entire argument hinges on the assumption that not many people want SGRAs, when exactly the opposite is true, BioWare have stated themselves they know this isn't some small demographic and they'd have to be poorly directed indeed not to build on their huge LGBT fanbase.

Annoying the intolerant, and even having some of them leave, is negligible in comparison to the amount of subscribers they could gain from releasing such content.
That is pretty ridiculous! More paying customers would leave the game then it would gain from adding such a feature. The "huge fanbase" that you claim is more likely just wishful thinking. There is only a small minority that would use such a feature and adding it would be a huge waste of time and resources. Bioware says (like many game companies) that it will be added in the future. We'll see if that is accurate or not and I'm sure if it is that the exodus of paying customers that it brings may make them regret such a decision, if the feature ever even makes it in game.

"Let me guess Ethics violation?
Bad people doing bad things and it made you sad?
Every day the same skrag, day in day out.. why me?"

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
07.18.2012 , 02:42 PM | #348
I'm sorry, but if Bioware are saying that they have a large LGBT fanbase, surely they know they have a large LGBT fanbase and would want to cater to that? I'm guessing you're one of the lot who don't want to come within 50 foot of anything LGBT?

Lurkz's Avatar


Lurkz
07.18.2012 , 02:42 PM | #349
Quote: Originally Posted by Stugotz View Post
That is pretty ridiculous! More paying customers would leave the game then it would gain from adding such a feature. The "huge fanbase" that you claim is more likely just wishful thinking. There is only a small minority that would use such a feature and adding it would be a huge waste of time and resources. Bioware says (like many game companies) that it will be added in the future. We'll see if that is accurate or not and I'm sure if it is that the exodus of paying customers that it brings may make them regret such a decision, if the feature ever even makes it in game.
I highly doubt Bioware is going to suddenly lose a huge chunk of players just from adding SGRAs in their game given all their other recent games ALSO have both straight and gay relationships and STILL sell huge numbers. As Rayla said, Bioware has admitted that they realize it's not a small group that wants this added, insisting otherwise won't change that fact.
The Nightborn Legacy - Ebon Hawk - Aquillian Rangers
Captain Jaxx - Gunslinger || Caiden - Jedi Sentinel

...Holospectrum...

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
07.18.2012 , 02:45 PM | #350
Quote: Originally Posted by Stugotz View Post
That is pretty ridiculous! More paying customers would leave the game then it would gain from adding such a feature. The "huge fanbase" that you claim is more likely just wishful thinking. There is only a small minority that would use such a feature and adding it would be a huge waste of time and resources. Bioware says (like many game companies) that it will be added in the future. We'll see if that is accurate or not and I'm sure if it is that the exodus of paying customers that it brings may make them regret such a decision, if the feature ever even makes it in game.
Haven't been following BioWare games for very long, have you?