Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HellbirdIV
07.17.2012 , 07:29 PM | #331
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
And while I haven't played a Bounty Hunter much, I think Mako might be the same way. I've said it many times, but seriously - start a new BH and listen to what Mako says when you walk into the room. Regardless of gender, she might as well be saying "How you doin'?"
I actually cited Mako first, before remembering that Temple is far more suggestive and editing my post.

MusedMoose
07.17.2012 , 07:41 PM | #332
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
I actually cited Mako first, before remembering that Temple is far more suggestive and editing my post.
Heh. Good to know she seems to have a fascination with the BH either way, though.

I haven't gotten far enough with my IA to meet Temple, but my IA recently had the first "romance" dialogue with Kaliyo. Okay, it's not a romance at all, but still. Considering Kaliyo's attitude seemed to be "I'm in the mood, you're here, let's get it on like wild mynocks", it makes it seem like she might not be choosy when it came to her partner's gender. She just seems like a "[bleep!] the one you're with" kind of person.

Trolltar
07.18.2012 , 04:45 AM | #333
Having read the answers to my questions, here's another.

The general theme seems to be, I should be able to reveal my sexuality to my companions. But, in all seriousness, there's like 10 conversations per companion and most of them involve the companion telling you things about himself/herself. While its true that I can't tell Corso I dig the way his armor bulges, I also can't offer him a joint, tell him I prefer basketball to baseball, find out if he prefers kung fu movies to romantic comedies and so on and so forth.

The companion conversations are really there, for the most part, to drive the story. The real role playing is what you do when you interact with other players.

Still, not that I oppose same gender companions. I'm just against the reworking of old companions or the "paint the world bi" solution of dragon age 2.
Merkavah:MEMBER
PAXDOMINUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

Rayla_Felana
07.18.2012 , 05:04 AM | #334
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
Still, not that I oppose same gender companions. I'm just against the reworking of old companions or the "paint the world bi" solution of dragon age 2.
Given that Erickson said he already knew which companions were going to be SGRAs, it's safe to say some of the original ones will be involved.

MusedMoose
07.18.2012 , 06:50 AM | #335
The general theme seems to be, I should be able to reveal my sexuality to my companions. But, in all seriousness, there's like 10 conversations per companion and most of them involve the companion telling you things about himself/herself. While its true that I can't tell Corso I dig the way his armor bulges, I also can't offer him a joint, tell him I prefer basketball to baseball, find out if he prefers kung fu movies to romantic comedies and so on and so forth.

The companion conversations are really there, for the most part, to drive the story. The real role playing is what you do when you interact with other players.
Thing is, what you're talking about isn't really what people here are asking for. At the heart of it, what we're asking for is equality - to be able to represent our characters' sexuality as we want to, and to not be forced into playing our characters as either straight or asexual. You can talk about RPing all you want, but as of right now, the actual game doesn't recognize homosexuality as being an option. Being able to play a character the way you see them is a huge part of a role-playing game, and having only one side represented in this game is more than a little unfair.

Bear in mind, though, that this is a galaxy where there are tons of sentient humanoid species, and inter-species relationships don't seem to be anything unusual. Sexuality is bound to be more fluid. Someone could be attracted to only the opposite gender of their own species, but find both males and females of another species attractive, and so on. Options, man.

wainot-keel
07.18.2012 , 06:57 AM | #336
World "bi" ? What game did you get ? I want a copy of it.

In DA2, only Isabela was bi. The others were not. They were "hawkesexual", like some say . Sebastian, not even. Aveline was unrequited love for two of Hawkies
Every playthrough, every game is a different and seperate reality. To say Fenris was "bi", you need metagame knowledge. You need to read the forums, watch YT vids or you make another playthrough (another reality) with a male character and pursuit his romance.

I hope they keep this approach for DA3

Zandilar
07.18.2012 , 07:27 AM | #337
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Given that Erickson said he already knew which companions were going to be SGRAs, it's safe to say some of the original ones will be involved.
I hate to be the pin in the balloon... But he said they knew which companions, not that they knew which existing companions... As I said before, it could just mean they have companions we haven't seen in the game yet in mind. Companions that didn't make launch, and that we might see later this year. If writing really has such a LOOOOONG lead time, then so do new characters.

So while I wouldn't completely rule out old companions becoming PC-sexual (I won't use the term bi for them at the moment), I also wouldn't be surprised if we're faced with a whole bunch of new romancable companions (with the current ones remaining as they are).
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Kioma
07.18.2012 , 08:58 AM | #338
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
World "bi" ? What game did you get ? I want a copy of it.

In DA2, only Isabela was bi. The others were not.
Respectfully, I disagree. I'd have agreed if you'd said that only Isabela was really, really open about it. Anders comes in second on that score (as long as you don't count Zevran). As for the others, we don't know if they were 'Hawkesexual' or just not as blatant about their tastes as Isabela was.

Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
They were "hawkesexual", like some say . Sebastian, not even. Aveline was unrequited love for two of Hawkies
Every playthrough, every game is a different and seperate reality. To say Fenris was "bi", you need metagame knowledge. You need to read the forums, watch YT vids or you make another playthrough (another reality) with a male character and pursuit his romance.

I hope they keep this approach for DA3
In addition to this, here's a pet peeve of mine:

What if same sex relationships just aren't that big a deal in Thedas? People are so damn intent on applying the rules from our experiences in our parts of our world to a place that doesn't even exist. But the simple matter may be that the generalised stance on same sex relationships found in, say, America or England or Australia or Bangladesh or whatever just might not apply in these worlds.

Personally I find it a bit nonsensical for people to say that the situation of sexuality in Thedas or Star Wars is being portrayed as 'unrealistic' and then go off and fight a dragon or wave around giant glowing sticks of plasma.

On the note of Thedas, there's a page on the Dragon Age Wiki about sexuality and marriage that covers this point. Now, I don't know the official word on the matter, I don't know how verified, true and correct those details are, but if they are accurate then same sex relationships in Thedas aren't seen as being immoral, weird or freaky. Odd in some places, sure, but it's far less acceptable to start bonking someone of a different race than someone with the same genitals.

And if that's the case, if in Ferelden (in the case of DAO) and the Free Marches (for DA2) the writers have decided that same sex relationships aren't weird, and can be at least mostly normal, then it's not unrealistic and it doesn't break immersion. End of story. It is immersion. 'I don't like it' doesn't mean the same thing as 'this breaks immersion'. It would be unrealistic to have anything but the system they provided in DA2 if that is the case.

This thread isn't about Thedas, of course, but about Star Wars. Nonetheless I claim the same situation proves true. Sexuality and the attitudes thereof have never been explicitly stated to be one way or another by George Lucas. Even if they had SWTOR is game-canon, not movie-canon. In the novel-canon we've already seen at least one instance of an outright gay couple. In some of the previous Star Wars games there's been same sex content at the very least heavily implied.

It annoys me when people use the word 'unrealistic' to mean 'distasteful to me' because as far as I can tell that is in fact what it comes down to when you're referring to a fictional world. People in this very thread have stated that LGBT content could only be realistic if it's to the same proportions as LGBT people in our world. Why? I find that illogical. There's a far higher percentage of Rodians in Star Wars than in our world.

It's up to the writers to decide what's 'realistic' for their setting, and up to the players to decide if that's their cup of tea. Not the other way around.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

stuffystuffs
07.18.2012 , 09:23 AM | #339
The general theme seems to be, I should be able to reveal my sexuality to my companions. But, in all seriousness, there's like 10 conversations per companion and most of them involve the companion telling you things about himself/herself.
It's more like the freedom to express your sexuality...something that's already possible if you roleplay a heterosexual character.

There's a difference between telling everyone on your ship about your sex life ("Hey look everybody! I'm gay!!!!") and flirting with a particular companion ("Hey Ensign Temple, how you doin?")

No one wants the former but the latter would be desirable to lots of people around these parts.
Node guarder

cool-dude
07.18.2012 , 12:54 PM | #340
Still say that all romances should be cut out all together. That way, people who care won't be mad, and people who play games for the game sake still won't care. lol
"Sarcasm is strong in this one"