Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Palar
11.23.2012 , 05:52 AM | #3261
Quote: Originally Posted by Slaign View Post
But let's be honest here, has BioWare EVER shown a history of being forthcoming about this type of content? How much more than "No new information" did people asking about HK-51 ever get prior to his imminent release? How much info would you expect to get out of them if you were asking about Makeb, unrelated to SGRAs? After the announcement of Cathar, how freely has BioWare discussed that? Aside from vague hints at it's existence, what kind of details have we gotten on improved space gameplay?
There's not a lot to say or ask about those things, though, and they aren't effected by other factors. "What kind of single-biome planet is Makeb?", "Will Cathar have mane customisation?" and "Will Hood-Toggling mess up my character's hair?"

Being cagey about giving a schedule is one thing, completely ignoring side-issues like "do we need to stop levelling and/or talking to companions, if we want to actually see the SGRA?" is another. If they're as far along on the content as they're implying by mutely pointing to Erickson's quote from March, there is no way they don't know the answers. If they don't know by now, it's not happening before June and they should admit that.

ImperialSun
11.23.2012 , 06:27 AM | #3262
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
It happens to the best of us.

And I do believe that SGRs are still coming... eventually. But if they last we heard is "this year" and that is no longer the case, then they really should tell us that. But with how they have handled this discussion, for me personally, at this point anything now is going to be too late. Implementing Makeb tomorrow with all the SGRs in would not fix this for me, because they've had all the time in the world to assess our questions here which have to do with knowing how best to approach existing content as we wait and they haven't.

I do believe there is a draconian corporate gag-rule on this. I don't think that pardons the silence. Either the Community Team ought to have gone toe-to-toe with corporate to get cleared to talk about this, or they could have found a loophole to speak through, or just taken a huge risk and simply defied that directive in the interest of promoting the game to its community. They haven't. So I conclude that in this case "can't tell you" really does mean "choose not to tell you". Well, that's their choice to make. Mine is where to spend my money. It won't be here.
"or just taken a huge risk and simply defied that directive"

You are seriously saying that the community team should have directly defied what is potentially a corportate / strategic decision, made at board / seniour management level....just to placate you personally?

What world do you actually live in? Would you have offered your thanks when they faced disciplinary action for acting in direct contravention of what senior management had told them to do/say? In my company that sort of deliberate action would certainly land an individual with a misconduct action on their HR record.

But thats ok, as long as you get your way...

The fact that you EVEN suggested they do that shows the level of self importance with which you view yourself

Driz

Lent_San
11.23.2012 , 12:47 PM | #3263
Quote: Originally Posted by ImperialSun View Post
The fact that you EVEN suggested they do that shows the level of self importance with which you view yourself
Driz
I do not think it's your business to judge or even try to judge how other people view themselves. Also, it's not the topic of this conversation. Let's stick to content..

fabiyun
11.23.2012 , 03:22 PM | #3264
How about doing some in game KISS-INs?
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Ellianshia
11.23.2012 , 04:55 PM | #3265
Here's the way I look at this... and I'm probably repeating myself at this point, but...

Okay, SGR is story content. Okay, extra chapters are story content. We're not asking for spoilers. All we're asking is "When?", you don't need to drop any information in regards to the way the content works to say... "Hey guys, SGRs are coming and you can expect them by the end of January, early February at the latest. That is all." Heck, even a simple... "Yes, SGRs are still coming." would work to alleviate some of the annoyance.

WickedDjinn
11.23.2012 , 05:04 PM | #3266
If there's a gag order, there's a gag order. I don't lay blame at the feet of the community team.

Saying the community team should leak info, assuming they even have anything new to share, is tantamount to demanding these people put their jobs, or at the very least their reputations with upper management, in peril. We really are talking about people's livelihoods here.

That's what it means to go up against corporate. You don't do it if you want to protect your job.

Lent_San
11.23.2012 , 05:15 PM | #3267
Quote: Originally Posted by WickedDjinn View Post
If there's a gag order, there's a gag order. I don't lay blame at the feet of the community team.
That's what it means to go up against corporate. You don't do it if you want to protect your job.
Thing is, it's an assumption there might be a gag order. We don't know if it's truly the case. A gag order may also play out as "Yes we know things, guys, but we can't talk about it". Let's not overdramatize, if we don't know what's really going on behind the scenes.

Tatile
11.23.2012 , 05:19 PM | #3268
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Thing is, it's an assumption there might be a gag order.
Exactly. We've only assumed there's a gag order as it's the only "reasonable" explanation as to why the Community Team cannot say "Yes, Mr. Erickson's comment still stands" or "No, it's delayed".

Nozybidaj
11.23.2012 , 05:40 PM | #3269
Quote: Originally Posted by Slaign View Post
Then there is BioWare, the company that wrote and developed the homosexual content in the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series. While it's clear that BioWare is somehow responsible for the fact that this content isn't in, claiming it is because they are afraid of the anti-gay backlash has no basis in evidence. BioWare has no history of shying away from this type of content, and is in fact a leader in progressive inclusion.
Except this isn't that Bioware. You are talking about Bioware-Edmonton. TOR is made by Bioware-Austin. This is a completely different division and group of people and from what they have shown us so far they have completely different principles and vision in regards to this content and this section of their playerbase.

One thing most people forget is BW-A's first response to the fact that SGRA's were missing from the game. "There are no gays in Star Wars" Was in fact their first response, and yes that is a direct quote. Obviously that caused a huge blowup on the old beta forums and caused them to come out with the "Blah blah blah time and money blah blah blah post launch" statement. We've heard excuses ranging from they just didn't think about it at all to they actually did think about it but just didn't have time. The few statements they have made over the 2 or so years this has been issue tend to contradict whatever previous statement they had made. Now they just go for silence.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think they have changed their original stance of "there are no gays in Star Wars". Regardless of all evidence to the contrary. I suppose what they really meant was "there are no gays in SW:TOR" which so far they have done a pretty good job of sticking to their original vision.

I've seen nothing that leads me to believe they ever had any actual intent of including this content when they made the "blah blah blah post launch" statement. That and the guild summit comments were likely just a sad attempt to maintain as many subscriptions as they could. So far all indications point to them sticking to their original response. At this point I don't think we'll ever actually see this content. BW-Austin simply doesn't care about the GLBT playerbase that the Edmonton group has done such a great job of building trust with over the years.

Raynezazki
11.23.2012 , 06:46 PM | #3270
Ah back and yeah while I wouldn't want the devs to risk their jobs on giving us info I highly highly doubt saying "it's still on the table." would have them lose their jobs. That tells us nothing about said content except...it's still coming. How spoilery!

As for the Cartel Market idea...as long as I don't have to pay a million credits to unlock them PER CHARACTER I'm okay with it.