Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MatronAdena
11.05.2012 , 08:19 PM | #2971
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
Been off the forums for a while so I may have missed a previous discussion about it - Disney acquiring LucasArts, thereby final creative control over content in this game. Is it time to start panicking about SGRs being shelved for good yet?

I'm asking out of genuine interest because as a non-American, I really don't know much about the political side of Disney, as it appears set to "represent core american beliefs".
considering a series from Marvel I was reading post buy out there that had Lesbian love, insane amounts of drug use, random fling with some guy in a bar and over the top violence - I don't think there is need to worry much.

Walt Disney Company has a good history of letting their IPs stay as they are, people just knee jerk when they hear Disney and think of Walt Disney studios.
Sorry, I'm old and can only read complete words.

HellbirdIV
11.05.2012 , 08:23 PM | #2972
*puts on a baseball cap*

Call me paranoid.

Palar
11.05.2012 , 08:32 PM | #2973
Hello, paranoid.

Captain_Zone
11.05.2012 , 11:55 PM | #2974
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
*puts on a baseball cap*

Call me paranoid.
Don't worry so much. Ol' Walt hasn't been in charge since he died. My theory is that EA is holding it up and shoved a gag order on the BioWare DEV team for the moment. There's a saying for this situation: Typical EA.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

JacenHallis
11.06.2012 , 03:25 AM | #2975
Disney is actually a fairly well known supporter of gay rights. They've been doing "gay days" at their parks for at least 20 years or so, and the Southern Baptist Convention even organized a large (fairly ineffective) boycott against Disney in 1997 that lasted eight years because Disney extended health benefits to gay partners of employees. Earlier this year, Tokyo Disney decided to allow same-sex marriages (or, at least, a commitment ceremony, since gay marriage is illegal in japan) in the park.

Disney is no threat at all to the inclusion of gay romances in TOR.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

SilentKitty
11.06.2012 , 05:17 AM | #2976
Quote: Originally Posted by JacenHallis View Post
Disney is actually a fairly well known supporter of gay rights. They've been doing "gay days" at their parks for at least 20 years or so, and the Southern Baptist Convention even organized a large (fairly ineffective) boycott against Disney in 1997 that lasted eight years because Disney extended health benefits to gay partners of employees. Earlier this year, Tokyo Disney decided to allow same-sex marriages (or, at least, a commitment ceremony, since gay marriage is illegal in japan) in the park.

Disney is no threat at all to the inclusion of gay romances in TOR.
This makes me very happy, had no idea that they are so forward
Female Mandalorians who romanced Torian are missing his Resol'nare and Mando'a lessons conversations since 4.0 launched. Please fix this!

SenatorPalpaTANG
11.06.2012 , 07:29 AM | #2977
Quote: Originally Posted by PresentTense View Post
It's all a matter of perspective. For people who care more about the class stories than the endgame, this is a big deal, whether they're LGBT or not. My smuggler and warrior are still camping at level 1, where they've been for a year now, because I don't want to screw myself out of content that I've been told is coming and that I've planned into those characters' stories.
The point I was making is that all romances end with your class story. Unlike PvP and Ops, there's no real replay value in them (even if you specifically would reroll over and over to replay romances I can guarantee you're in the minority). So say they were to implement them tomorrow... people would burn through the cutscenes in a day and we'd be back where we started with an anemic end game and no campaign progress. I'm looking at the bigger picture.

To be blunt, the storylines and character development in this game pale in comparison to Bioware's single player outings. It's understandable considering the sheer volume of content for all the different classes, but still.

If that's your primary concern, Dragon Age, Mass Effect or even the original KOTOR games are so much more fulfilling, and already have plenty of SGR options.

It just seems weird to me for people to get hung up on such a small part of this game. I've played 3 classes to 50 and the hetero romances have been almost entirely forgettable, especially for my main (male SI). Would a couple of ship cutscenes and a fade to black really make or break the game for you? In light of everything else that needs attention?
Fantastically Furious, lololol

((=((==((:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: >

Rayla_Felana
11.06.2012 , 07:39 AM | #2978
It seems the Senator doesn't understand that there is a section of the fanbase that adore the story in this game, any more replay value added on top is huge, regardless of what it is, replay value = story value, that's the point.

Revanchis
11.06.2012 , 09:05 AM | #2979
Quote: Originally Posted by SenatorPalpaTANG View Post
The point I was making is that all romances end with your class story. Unlike PvP and Ops, there's no real replay value in them (even if you specifically would reroll over and over to replay romances I can guarantee you're in the minority). So say they were to implement them tomorrow... people would burn through the cutscenes in a day and we'd be back where we started with an anemic end game and no campaign progress. I'm looking at the bigger picture.

To be blunt, the storylines and character development in this game pale in comparison to Bioware's single player outings. It's understandable considering the sheer volume of content for all the different classes, but still.

If that's your primary concern, Dragon Age, Mass Effect or even the original KOTOR games are so much more fulfilling, and already have plenty of SGR options.

It just seems weird to me for people to get hung up on such a small part of this game. I've played 3 classes to 50 and the hetero romances have been almost entirely forgettable, especially for my main (male SI). Would a couple of ship cutscenes and a fade to black really make or break the game for you? In light of everything else that needs attention?
Well, if it's so bare then clearly they should work on it some more.

Ellianshia
11.06.2012 , 09:23 AM | #2980
Very late comer to the thread, but eh... I haven't really touched TOR in a while to begin with (while keeping my subscription up and supporting the devs in the hopes that I'd actually get to see the content we were promised).... still holding out hope on SGR. Anyways, to answer your comment. Okay, let's agree that we (the people that want to replay the game for the romance options) are the minority. Are you telling me that BW/EA should discriminate against the minority? On that note, people that are interested in SGR are also a minority, no? Should they be discriminated against as well? Heck, one could even go as far as to argue that PvE/PvP (Whichever is more popular in TOR, makes no difference to me) players are a minority as well. Should we go and have the Devs remove the content that said minority is interested in? Put new content for said minority on the back-burner altogether?

Original KOTOR games? Really? One companion in KOTOR2, one minor mention in KOTOR1 that never goes beyond mild flirting? It's lovely that you have an opinion on the matter, but really, do a little bit of research before pointing out places where the people in this thread can get their 'fix' of pixelated SGR with F2B. It's not really about the novelty of it anymore. It's not about having more choices to get the SGR content we're looking for. It's gotten to the point of being about a promise that was made and never realized. Not to mention getting shoved in a corner every time someone decides to open a new thread.

What's weird to you is normal to others. The fact that you don't understand why we're here doesn't mean that we don't have the right to be here. For you - sure, they were forgettable. For me... well, I still have fond memories of Vector (The only male companion I'd romance in TOR) even though I haven't played TOR since... March, I think. Some of us enjoy that more than running around a 100x200 meter field with traps and throwing a glowing ball at people in an attempt to run it past an imaginary line and 'score'. Some of us enjoy the story more than going into a raid and performing all sorts of aerial acrobatics in an attempt to not get one-shot by the fifteen different ways to die during boss fights.

I only worked one character up to fifty - my female IA. Any other characters I've made since then are likely going to get deleted and remade so that I can experience the entire story arc with the possibility of a same-gender romance. That is my choice, I paid my money to get this game and have been paying a subscription the same as you. I even splurged a bit extra to get the full CE after the beta. It all comes down to this... I pay the same money that you do for this game, so who are you to tell me the way I should play it... or what features I should try and request of the game that I paid for? You don't see me trying to tell Devs to stop putting in PvP or PvE content, do you? Do extend us the same courtesy.