Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Palar's Avatar


Palar
11.02.2012 , 08:07 PM | #2911
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotwest View Post
So...Heterosexual relationships aren't real life? I don't know how I'm going to break this to my wife...
That's different, because they say so. Maybe they think it'll be a 'fade to rainbows', rather than a 'fade to black', and the garish lights will give them head-aches... even though they won't be clicking on it?

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
11.02.2012 , 11:20 PM | #2912
Just out of curiosity what will happen if sgr content is not added to TOR?

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
11.03.2012 , 12:45 AM | #2913
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
Just out of curiosity what will happen if sgr content is not added to TOR?
You get to keep playing?

Out of curiosity, what if it is?

Scotwest's Avatar


Scotwest
11.03.2012 , 01:09 AM | #2914
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
Just out of curiosity what will happen if sgr content is not added to TOR?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I imagine a number of people will unsub, or fail to resub because a tremendous amount of content remains unavailable to them -- and I believe that group includes a lot of straight people, such as myself, who don't raid, only occasionally PVP, and for whom SGRAs would have expanded roleplay options and increased replay value.

Beyond that, I suspect there might be longer term repercussions for EA/BW, depending on how long they drag this out. If the feature isn't going to be added, there's no reason not to announce that fact now (or last Summer) aside from a desire to keep paying customers on a string for as long as possible. If it ever becomes plain that that's indeed what they've been doing, I will never again buy one of their games, because why would I do business with any company that treats me the way a con man treats a mark?

This is where I believe their relative lack of experience with MMOs is going to bite them in the hindquarters. You can put out a lousy single player game and survive, the way a used car dealer than sell someone a lemon, and all that person can do is walk away and mutter "caveat emptor; because even with a good game the player often beats it in a few days or weeks and then moves on. But people can spend years in a good MMO, they form friendships with other players, they develop attachments to their characters, and if it turns out that while you've been playing your character, the company has been playing you -- well, the feeling of betrayal and outrage is commensurately larger.

Just my guess.

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
11.03.2012 , 01:51 AM | #2915
On that note, Tally time!

If you were around this thread in February and March just after the debut of the Weekly Q&A, you may recall I had a habit of keeping count of how many posts asked about same-gender content, compared to the total posts in that week's thread and calculating the approximate percentage.

This week, we have a Developer Q&A with lead Story Guy, Hall Hood, up on the General discussion board. People here know Hall tried to slip us a hint about the eventual release of SGRs last month on Twitter, but had to pull the tweet for a reason never elaborated. Naturally, a lot of folks have chimed in to ask about same gender romantic content.

Of 51 posts at present, 13 ask about SGRs, either solely or in relation to larger questions. That is, 25% of current posts mention it, one out of four. Not bad. I don't think they will let him answer them, but not bad.

Palar's Avatar


Palar
11.03.2012 , 03:06 AM | #2916
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotwest View Post
Beyond that, I suspect there might be longer term repercussions for EA/BW, depending on how long they drag this out. If the feature isn't going to be added, there's no reason not to announce that fact now (or last Summer) aside from a desire to keep paying customers on a string for as long as possible. If it ever becomes plain that that's indeed what they've been doing, I will never again buy one of their games, because why would I do business with any company that treats me the way a con man treats a mark?
I agree with the whole post, but especially this part - they lost enough trust with the Mass Effect 3 debacle and the TOR "global release", they don't need another blow to their credibility.

(I'm already going to give DA3 a miss until I see what the player verdict is... if this turns out to be a colossal run-around, 'tis a deal-breaker for BioWare in general. I work too hard for my money to put up with such crap.)

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
11.03.2012 , 03:59 AM | #2917
I think that chances of this not making this into the game at this point are nil. But that is all the more reason to want to be able to plan for it when it comes, although the closer we get, the more moot the point becomes.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
11.03.2012 , 05:14 AM | #2918
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I think that chances of this not making this into the game at this point are nil. But that is all the more reason to want to be able to plan for it when it comes, although the closer we get, the more moot the point becomes.
Except the problem is that we have no idea how close we are, so the moot-ness of our point still remains wonderfully intangible. In a way that works in our favour - we're still allowed to discuss the content, after all. On the other hand you have all the problems ever.

Revanchis's Avatar


Revanchis
11.03.2012 , 08:14 AM | #2919
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
I agree with the whole post, but especially this part - they lost enough trust with the Mass Effect 3 debacle and the TOR "global release", they don't need another blow to their credibility.

(I'm already going to give DA3 a miss until I see what the player verdict is... if this turns out to be a colossal run-around, 'tis a deal-breaker for BioWare in general. I work too hard for my money to put up with such crap.)
Agreed, and I never thought I'd get to this point with Bioware. All of their games were eagerly anticipated and bought immediately. I just hope DA3 can bounce back and be as good as DAO.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
11.03.2012 , 08:19 AM | #2920
Quote: Originally Posted by Revanchis View Post
Agreed, and I never thought I'd get to this point with Bioware. All of their games were eagerly anticipated and bought immediately. I just hope DA3 can bounce back and be as good as DAO.
This is the first Bioware game I've played. I must say, if future titles are going to treat the player base with this amount of contempt, I won't be buying them.

I may be playing them, however.

Ethical piracy? *shrugs*