Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Uluain
10.31.2012 , 07:17 AM | #2801
Actually, they never said anything against making romantic companions "herosexual", only that they are writing entirely unique romance stories for same-gender relationships rather than just swapping out gender-specific language. Beyond that, of course, it's all guesswork until they actually decide to tell us something.

Tatile
10.31.2012 , 07:23 AM | #2802
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Actually, they never said anything against making romantic companions "herosexual", only that they are writing entirely unique romance stories for same-gender relationships rather than just swapping out gender-specific language. Beyond that, of course, it's all guesswork until they actually decide to tell us something.
Fair point - I've likely been getting our thrashing discussion mixed up with the scant amount of so-called information we've been given.

Uluain
10.31.2012 , 07:37 AM | #2803
Yeah - the Stephen Reid announcement and Daniel Erickson's remarks aren't a lot to go on, and some of the inferences that can be drawn from them are contradictory.

Hey, I know! Maybe we can start a thread to ask for same-gender relationships clarifications!

Merciter
10.31.2012 , 08:54 AM | #2804
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
If you're straight and male, you're golden.Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Knight and Trooper are all "one or nothing" classes.
I noticed that. My boyfriend is playing a Sith Warrior and I'm an Inquisitor and his storyline with Vette (we haven't gotten to Jesea yet) is SO cute but mine with Andronikos is kinda flat. I'm a female player that enjoys wooing characters, particularly other females, so the fact that I'm stuck with 1. A male and 2. A male that's kinda boring makes me sad. SW get so much love in terms of flirts (if you're male) and it's hilarious to watch/play, but it makes me feel like SIs got the short end of the stick.

If they give us SGRs then hopefully it'll make the game feel less like, "This is your only option cuz yeah we wanted it this way" and more like, "Yo, I heard you wanted a romancable companion that isn't flat as medieval earth, here ya go!"

Ugh, I'm just rambling now.

stuffystuffs
10.31.2012 , 09:43 AM | #2805
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

I also popped in because I had to show you guys this.

Behold, Darth Maul Donald Duck!
The Disney/LA merger hath spawned something awesome!

Quote: Originally Posted by Silthir View Post
I don't really know much about Ensign Temple, to be honest, but from what I know about her, she seems more lesbianic than straight imo.
I see her as a sexuality blank slate, as she doesn't bring it up in anyway at all

It's kind of interesting talking about the IA female pair (Kaliyo/Temple). Lots of people see Kaliyo as 'that type' while Temple 'isn't that type' for them (whatever that means).

However, Kaliyo expresses many instances of male attraction and you meet past boyfriends, etc. while with Temple none of that comes close to happening and she would have the more subjective sexuality.

Quote: Originally Posted by Merciter View Post
If they give us SGRs then hopefully it'll make the game feel less like, "This is your only option cuz yeah we wanted it this way" and more like, "Yo, I heard you wanted a romancable companion that isn't flat as medieval earth, here ya go!"
I agree so much!

GregSJ
10.31.2012 , 10:29 AM | #2806
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
That dialogue definitely can't happen with a female without a bug or a mod. The Handmaiden never joins the crew of a female Exile so why would she want to see what she sees that causes her heart to race and her tone to change?
No it wasn't a bug or mod. I just ran through the final chapters of a clean version of SWTOR The Sith Lords to double check. I've played this game like 20 times, and played through about 4 times as a female. She always is a viable romance option throughout the game for a female.

As for the dialogue, referencing the Handmaiden, call it something missed by Obsidian. If you want to be picky about it, you can always say that Visas was expressing jealousy over the obvious admiration Brianna held towards the female exile. After all the female exile still meets the Handmaiden in Atris's Academy.

However I will grant this. I purchased one of the first editions of SWTOR: TSL (Kotor 2 for the uninitiated) and I did run across some discussion referencing Obsidian changing a few things in the later patches and retail versions. (This was several years ago and I don't remember where) I think I vaguely remember a similar discussion about Visas too. From what I remember, Obsidian may have taken out the same-sex romance option between the Exile and Visas with it's later productions. Many of the newer game owners of that forum where confused about the same sex option, saying it wasn't available on their version. The change may have been an executive decision forced by Lucasfilms, worried about the controversial subject. People inquired about it, but Obsidian never really said much about it. Only saying that they needed to include some changes in their new production batches.

But as it stands, yes. I can totaly lez up with Visas on TSL. We even have "force sex"!
"No poor meatbag ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other meatbags die for their country."
―HK-47

stuffystuffs
10.31.2012 , 10:59 AM | #2807
I must have a newer, 'gay free' version of KotOR 2 then

Since the Exile is now canoncially female, I will say that Exile/Visas is a canon pairing...b/c I say so

OldVengeance
10.31.2012 , 12:22 PM | #2808
That's rather odd, because I distinctly remember not being able to do so the time I tried a female exile. If they removed it, did they consider it a bug? Kotor 2 was full of bugs even in it's unfinished state. I would have to wonder, Especially if the dialogue doesn't fully make sense. I actually remember similar conversations happening when Juhani sometimes seems attracted to a Male Revan.

If you're straight and male, you're golden.

Straight women get a choice between Jedi Consular and Sith Warrior for two "romance" options. Although most classes do only get a choice of one or nothing.

Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Knight and Trooper are all "one or nothing" classes. Smuggler and Agent are two female LI's, one male. Sith Warrior has ALL the love. Consular is two male LI's, one female.

Edit: Looking through that list, it would be really very interesting to know how the writers have addressed the "we have SGR's for existing companions, but we don't want to make everyone bisexual/player-sexual" issue. Very interesting indeed.
Female Consular and Warriors (I'm pretty sure) don't get to choose. Theran and Peirce are optional hookups but they aren't full romance options. For that they are both stuck with with Iresso and Quinn respectively if they want. I've never played a full run of a smuggler but the only classes I know that can have a complete love triangle choice are Male SW and Male IA. Everyone else just gets one full choice or nothing.

Tatile
10.31.2012 , 12:34 PM | #2809
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Yeah - the Stephen Reid announcement and Daniel Erickson's remarks aren't a lot to go on, and some of the inferences that can be drawn from them are contradictory.

Hey, I know! Maybe we can start a thread to ask for same-gender relationships clarifications!
Brilliant! Maybe should call it something like Same gender relationships clarifications? and stick in the Story and Lore board where no one can see it!

stuffystuffs
10.31.2012 , 12:35 PM | #2810
Edit: Looking through that list, it would be really very interesting to know how the writers have addressed the "we have SGR's for existing companions, but we don't want to make everyone bisexual/player-sexual" issue. Very interesting indeed.
I'm guessing: not every class will have an SGRA available for each gender.

Congrats Female Inquisitor! You waited 1+ year for SGRA's and get none!