Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Baptes's Avatar


Baptes
10.25.2012 , 08:58 PM | #2571
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
The main part of the heteronormalcy that I hate about classes like the Smuggler and the SI is the lack of balance. I can roll up a female Smuggler and maybe get one or two flirts by Taris. I wish there was more, but I generally just roll with it. Corso is alright, though I'm not sure if he's to my romance taste.

I did get my male Smuggler to Taris and wow...I don't know how many times I had to yell at the screen,

"No, I hate Governor Sheresh! Quit asking me to flirt with her!"
"Dang it, I'm trying to save people from a collapsing building here. This is not the time to flirt, Game."
"Okay, I can enjoy rp'ing as a male toon, even a hetero one. But this is plain silly."

Between that and the playstyle not to my taste at all, it wasn't too hard to drop the character. I might try him later or just reroll. I've got my SI or sage to level up after my IA, so it'll be a bit.

Same with the SI. Seriously, where the Sith groupies for my female SI?!
I know right? My male smuggler flirts with every female with a pulse, He starts flirting on Ord Mantell. No woman is safe... on any planet... of any species.

My female...not so much. And when she does get a chance, I kinda wish she didn't.

natashina's Avatar


natashina
10.25.2012 , 09:26 PM | #2572
OOooh, something I just thought of...

I was talking about Sith groupies for a reason.

Spoiler


I thought that was a wonderful little twist. Well, my first SI I got to that point was female. It was fun, but I hit what I used to call the Tattooine Wall and lost interest. So, being the altaholic that I am, I rolled male and hit the same part in the story. Holy. Crap. Sith groupies! Darkside points were already very easy to get as a sorc, but wow, as a male not only did I get a ton of DS points from flirting but...

Spoiler


Jerk move on my roleplaying part? Sure, but that's what makes a rather crazy evil Sith so much fun. I can't fathom why female PCs cannot be that big of a jerk.

natashina's Avatar


natashina
10.25.2012 , 09:35 PM | #2573
Also, real quick tinfoil hat theory that came to mind while I was thinking about DS aligned characters.

<dons>

Maybe part of the reason why BW has been so quiet on the SGR front is due to the fact that the players can choose to be villains. That means people can play gay and lesbian villains. I personally don't see any issue with this. People are people. /shrug

However, just is there is some well meaning but far right family groups that can have issues with this, there very well could be the just as well meaning but far left family groups going after BW for allowing people to have gay villains. Why? Because BW is all of a sudden, "making gays look evil."

We all know that is total crap. It did seem to stand out to me though that this could happen. Unfortunately, I've seen this kind of behavior before. For example, back in 2006, a bunch of left leaning well meaning family groups here in the US got Speedy Gonzales pulled off the rebooted Looney Toons, siting him as a racist stereotype towards Hispanics. However, the families in Mexico as well as here in the US fought to get him back. They considered Speedy a cultural hero, for always outsmarting the "GREEEEN-GO Pussygato," and for beating up bad guys. It wasn't something that the family group had even thought of and the censorship of poor Speedy was overturned. So that kind of pressure can go both ways. Not only is BW going to have to deal with flack on from far right, but also from the far left as well.

Here's a link to the story for some reading on it: http://www.allempires.com/forum/foru....asp?TID=19960

Now, that being said...It doesn't make what BW does is right, nor does it make better. However, more of this silence and suddenly when SGRs hit we could have both of those extremes getting mad very fast. I hope The Powers That Be are taking time to armor plate their butts, because between the silence to the players and the backlash they are going to get from other groups, they'll need it.

<removes silly hat>

Thoughts?

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
10.26.2012 , 12:27 AM | #2574
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Love ya man, but you better had gotten some screenshots. I really want to see this for myself...I couldn't get into the Smuggler story just yet.
Doh! Don't worry. I'm going to make another one to do it again. I promise some Screenshots in a day or two. I have to. I have a bad habit of finding every girl kissing girl scene in every BioWare game I've ever played, if there is one. Trust me, I had to wait until Lair of the Shadow Broker came out to get it in ME2. xD
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
10.26.2012 , 01:08 AM | #2575
Well, I have maintained all along that by delaying this content in a way OGR were not, while still slating it for inclusion, BioWare has alienated both camps. That is what made the compromise decision at which they arrived such an awkward faux pas.

It is true that in sci-fi, particularly in "golden age" sci-fi, one of the most commonly used shorthand indicators of a depraved and villainous psyche was to make a character homosexual. Perhaps the best known example of this is Baron Harkonnen from Frank Herbert's landmark novel, Dune. So, yes, there is a reasonable case against the gay villain.

However, what the prospective romantic options really offer is an opportunity to play a character of any orientation, and as a hero or a villain or anywhere in between. Same-sex relationships aren't likely to be uniformly tied to dark side decisions.

Honestly, I think the silence is due to a policy of simply not discussing pending content until shortly before it goes live. That has been the pattern with previous content patches – you can see it currently underway for 1.5 and F2P. The only reason I would expect this to be different is because a.) this content was announced so early and b.) with only speculation to go on, those wishing to position themselves to access it when it does become available don't know how they ought to handle their characters, companion affection or levelling pace.

But at this point, so far past launch, there really is little point in asking at this stage beyond curiosity. People have had to make their own determination of the best way to proceed, and nothing we do or say here can really influence the development of this content at this stage. as far as I can see.

So no – simply having this for future inclusion does not really earn my warmest regards, and the silence on this topic has made the unfortunate decision to delay this content that much less palatable. With no updates since March, and minimal information then, and in spite of encouragement to ask here, in the erstwhile Q&A, and through various avenues of communication Joveth recommended, well, I can't say I am particularly happy about this at all.

Seemiing to villainize gays could, at this point, hardly make it worse.

natashina's Avatar


natashina
10.26.2012 , 01:27 AM | #2576
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Well, I have maintained all along that by delaying this content in a way OGR were not, while still slating it for inclusion, BioWare has alienated both camps. That is what made the compromise decision at which they arrived such an awkward faux pas.

It is true that in sci-fi, particularly in "golden age" sci-fi, one of the most commonly used shorthand indicators of a depraved and villainous psyche was to make a character homosexual. Perhaps the best known example of this is Baron Harkonnen from Frank Herbert's landmark novel, Dune. So, yes, there is a reasonable case against the gay villain.

However, what the prospective romantic options really offer is an opportunity to play a character of any orientation, and as a hero or a villain or anywhere in between. Same-sex relationships aren't likely to be uniformly tied to dark side decisions.

Honestly, I think the silence is due to a policy of simply not discussing pending content until shortly before it goes live. That has been the pattern with previous content patches – you can see it currently underway for 1.5 and F2P. The only reason I would expect this to be different is because a.) this content was announced so early and b.) with only speculation to go on, those wishing to position themselves to access it when it does become available don't know how they ought to handle their characters, companion affection or levelling pace.

But at this point, so far past launch, there really is little point in asking at this stage beyond curiosity. People have had to make their own determination of the best way to proceed, and nothing we do or say here can really influence the development of this content at this stage. as far as I can see.

So no – simply having this for future inclusion does not really earn my warmest regards, and the silence on this topic has made the unfortunate decision to delay this content that much less palatable. With no updates since March, and minimal information then, and in spite of encouragement to ask here, in the erstwhile Q&A, and through various avenues of communication Joveth recommended, well, I can't say I am particularly happy about this at all.

Seemiing to villainize gays could, at this point, hardly make it worse.
All I can say right now is that I wish I could argue with this, but I won't. Your point is eerily spot on.

Saddens me that this is truly a make or break moment for this game for some of the posters here. It isn't for a deal breaker for me, but I push for equality and the fulfillment of promises by the company. I do know that if SGRs aren't done, I'll miss those posters for sure and my game replay will be severely limited. Why even reroll after a point when, as a player, I've already seen it all.

Cbaoth's Avatar


Cbaoth
10.26.2012 , 02:09 AM | #2577
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I think telling a group that they're are just being "touchy" for an extremely negative statement is rather uncalled for.

The reason? Overall, we wouldn't go into a thread that you post in for a feature and tell you that "You're living in a dream world." If you have no faith in the developers or their word at all, then why are you still playing? It must be because you actually enjoy the game, and look forward to seeing new content. I hope you aren't one of those people that stick around forums just to troll players while your sub runs out.

In some ways, this is no different than wanting weather cycles for planets or barber shops/aging abilities for characters. SGRAs is a feature that we're asking for any information on. Plus, to be very blunt, those other topics are not features promised to players in the beginning of the game. Those are fluff features and are not central to the story.

Learning if central companions such as Kira or Mako (two examples of characters very tied into the story) are available fundamentally changes the way some people are going to level. Weather effects and such, while nice, do not effect a player's ability to level like SGRs can.

Same Gender Romance content has been promised and as well as reconfirmed even recently. It has not been scrapped and while the silence isn't golden, SGR isn't going away. So please, do some homework before you judge. Enjoy the game and please just ignore the thread if you think we're that naive. Also, enjoy asking for weather effects, ect. We won't come into your thread and tell you your ideas are unworthy, so have the same courtesy.

That's all I'm going to say about that.
So you checked out my other post, good for you mate, the funny thing is that I think those other features have a better change of getting in the game.
But anyway..since everyones opinion is not really welcome in this thread, and no matter what doubters say its hard to hear, I think im gonna step back and leave you guys to it..and thats all I have to say about that.

Good day to you sir.
“Pain is weakness leaving the body”

Akhremchyk's Avatar


Akhremchyk
10.26.2012 , 02:53 AM | #2578
Oh, well. From all my reading of this thread I've learned the following:
1) Bioware/EA keeping silence about SGR and not replying for community no matter what. Sad, but true.
2) Any complains about current situation from all respective gamers in this thread are no more that cries in the darlk room of game developer's silence. And speculations about "how could they include SGR in next content patch".
3) There are no any guarantie, that SGR will be unlocked in the game, except of promices and words like "soon" and "someday". Thats terrible.
So, as for me, I'm eager to play Female Sith Warrior Lesbian. I really want it. But I cant. Well, it's not the end of the world, but very disappointing. But cries about that in this thread cant make my dreams come true - NO ONE from Bioware/EA even reads this thread! So the hell with it. I'm still hoping of SGR, but I won't stop levelling my char's (female char's! My lovely harem, he-he) to the heart content. Then SGR will be unlocked - I'll create the new ones and'll enjoy the long awaited feature.
Period.

MoogleNut's Avatar


MoogleNut
10.26.2012 , 03:50 AM | #2579
I just posted in the 'Makeb' thread.
I'm kinda grumpy this morning (stoopid neck being a stoopid pain), so it might not stay there and am getting sick of the 'break immersion i'm alright don't care about anyone else' bs i keep seeing - so I had to reply thusly:


Quote:
Today , 09:41 AM | #209

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchmo
People always talk about immersion in these games and I think this is the furthest thing from it.

Which is great if you are a straight gamer, but many of Bioware's player-base are not, myself included.
nothing breaks immersion more for me (and many others like me) in a Bioware game, than being forced to be either heterosexual or asexual. Heck, there's still far to many games coming out where I can't even play as female.

You guys get to be the 'hero who gets the girl' all the time, Bioware (up until now) is one of the few gaming companies that let me be the 'heroine who gets the girl' or the guys the 'hero who gets the guy'.
All we want is the same options as the rest of the player base. In a Bioware game, this should be a given, alas it is not.

As subscribers we are equally entitled to ask about promised features as the next player - especially when we are only hearing bits and pieces of info from anybody except the people who should actually be telling us. With 1.5 and FTP already on the PTS, and the tid-bit of info about Makeb from Gabe 'PVP guy can't spell his last name', all we are asking is a bit of clarification - are SGRAs still on course for inclusion with Makeb, what time-frame are we looking at and could we have more than a "no new info, thanks for your patience?"

SGRAs WILL be in-game, like any other option, if you don't like/want it, don't choose it.

Sorry Mods if I ranted, I just woke up grumpy
Also, I'm gutted I chose the light-side option with the hot sith on Tatooine. i was blown away by the fact she even flirted with me, never imagined (why would I with the game's history) that she'd go through with it
Good thing I've just rolled my smuggler on the PTS - I want to play her but don't want to miss any flirts we may or may not get, this way i know it's only a tester so it doesn't matter

Now I'm going to break my doctor's orders and have some caffeine

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
10.26.2012 , 03:55 AM | #2580
Knowing my luck if I decided to post some character-companion based erotica here for you guys, it would be the one day that a Bioware mod actually reads the thread.

Is a little bit tempting though.