Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
10.24.2012 , 08:38 PM | #2521
I personally signed up on 12/31/2012. Doup had signed up a few of days prior, so I want to say the week after Christmas at Launch. I'm still expecting to see SGRs before 2013. If I don't, well hopefully they'll have a darned good reason as to why and let us know.

Uluain
10.24.2012 , 08:59 PM | #2522
I didn't manage to get the game and set up my own account until the first week of January, but did have a chance to try the game out on my sister's account over the holidays. Getting my Consular through to getting his ship was a big thrill, and a big selling point for me. I can still remember my giddy, fanboy thrill ("I get a Corellian Corvette!?"). So I have been with the game if not since beta or early launch or launch at least for a good while. Maybe that makes the wait seem longer.

But I feel like I have been a loyal player and a good customer and (mostly) a constructive online community member. Where is the encouragement of that?

natashina
10.24.2012 , 09:27 PM | #2523
One of the worst parts of all this is that EA/BW seems to have slowly begun to fall into the trend of milking IPs and disregarding customers. Square-Enix, ATVI and other AAA companies act more interested in the bottom line. Instead of the source of their bottom line: players like us.

Like you Uluain, I'm also a Libra. On the one hand, I know this is a good game company and if nothing else, would make themselves look really bad by not putting this in. I maintain a fragile faith in the company that this isn't the case. Shoot, I plan on buying the Baldur's Gate update when it comes out.

On the other hand, the silence has gotten almost disturbing. I know we aren't the only part of the player base that feels ignored. Yet, with SGRs such a touchy subject for many people and by keeping mum on the subject, it sends the inadvertent message that the RP and the LGBT community don't matter.

Captain_Zone
10.24.2012 , 10:40 PM | #2524
WB, Natashina! \o/

Rayla, if you could PM me with the link to that pic on deviantart with the female SW and Vette, I would most definitely appreciate it.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Fyuria
10.24.2012 , 10:44 PM | #2525
I accepted that it wasn't going to be in at launch, and I bought my game and have kept a loyal subscription since day one. I'm still enjoying this game, but it'll be a year come December, and if we tick over into 2013 without so much as a solid answer to when it'll be implimented, it's hard to keep your hopes up.

Uluain
10.24.2012 , 11:42 PM | #2526
Well, what disturbs me most are the constant thread closures and redirects to this thread with admonishments to post here. Posting here has gotten us jack all, so far. Why should we feel that it is at all effective? What good is it to say "we do read that thread frequently" when nothing has ever, in over ten months, come of it?

In the email exchange which resulted in the only Staff reply this thread has seen to date (which was apologetically noninformative), Joveth explained the redirects thus:
Quote: Originally Posted by Joveth Gonzalez, private email, 9-7-12
We know that same gender romance arcs are an important topic for folks, so we try to direct all conversations about it to one thread in order for us to be able to keep an eye on it and moderate it as needed using our limited resources. We know that SGRA can be a sensitive topic, so we make sure to action any community members that violate our forum policies via hate speech and the like. Keep in mind that we consolidate and redirect ANY threads that are redundant or talk about the same topic, as it is a forum-wide policy of ours.
Well, the first part of this is as I had inferred, but it was also the first occasion on which anyone had ever bothered to explain the reason for the redirects. What we had been told previously is what is said following, that closing redundant threads "is a forum-wide policy".

That last bit is, in a word, bullsh*t. Oh, it may be policy, but it is policy selectively enforced. Go up to the search window and enter "Hood Toggle", or "Chat Bubbles" or "Paid Transfers" all features promised vaguely as content to come some day. How many threads are there? How many are locked?

To be fair, let us consider the point Joveth raises regarding "limited resources" - i.e. only so many available moderators, with only so much time to devote to the task.

Which would make more work? Keeping up with hostile posts over multiple threads addressing same-gender content, or closing and redirecting each and every redundant thread on any topic whatsoever? I would personally suppose the latter. The former case would in time become self-correcting as those most prone to post hateful remarks are infracted for their recurring offenses to the point that their posting privileges are revoked.

The Community Team seems to have chosen neither. What we see in practice is a compromise intended to make best use of an inadequate staff: application of a nominally universal closure policy of redundant threads to this topic especially (if anyone knows of any other topic policed in the same thorough fashion, I'd love to hear what it is) with redirects to a single thread in a marginal subforum to assure decreased traffic and thus, presumably, fewer disruptive posts.

I am rambling here, and in immanent danger of bringing up names like Kant and Kierkegaard, so I'll leave it at that for others to reflect upon at their leisure and to offer a more charitable interpretation of our situation if they can.

Zandilar
10.25.2012 , 12:26 AM | #2527
I noticed that the people you were thinking of contacting were mostly people within EA/Bioware (or former employees of or heads of Bioware)... Have you thought about contacting some of the more influential vloggers like TotalBiscuit or OM*GCata? Or other game media types? (On-line magazines, like Kokatu, for example.)

The only real way to get their current policy of silence is to put pressure on EA itself. The media is probably the best way to do this, and the bigger the better.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Palar
10.25.2012 , 01:04 AM | #2528
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
WB, Natashina! \o/

Rayla, if you could PM me with the link to that pic on deviantart with the female SW and Vette, I would most definitely appreciate it.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, just do a DA search for 'Vette a little nightcap'.

Tatile
10.25.2012 , 03:32 AM | #2529
http://www.polygon.com/news - the website were we recently saw the phrase "EA added same-sex romances to SWTOR" corrected and removed. To get an article here we may need to contact the original author: http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/16/35...pany-investors

(It seems TheVerge has been merged with Polygon)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/contact?subject=news - Send Us News at Games Industry (which the above article cited)

http://kotaku.com/ - more gaming news, with a "Send a Tip" link right down at the bottom.

MoogleNut
10.25.2012 , 04:43 AM | #2530
Just de-lurking (and using this as an excuse to put off more packing for my house move) to say hiya and to let you know that David Gaider is still a lead writer for Bioware - he's very active over on the BSN forums discussing Dragon Age 3 at the moment.

Hopefully with the Cartel shop on the pts now, it won't be too long before they start talking more about Makeb. I say hopefully, but not in reality expecting to hear anything until it's ready to drop. I started playing in the last round of weekend beta tests, and was in the first wave of early access - all my current characters exist purely to build legacy level/funds/crafting for when SGRAs go live so haven't really become too attached to them - my BH even
Spoiler
...yeah, that won't be happening when the game is complete.

And that's what it boils down to for me at the moment. I love the story, like a bit of pvp, the odd flashpoint etc, but without the inclusiveness of prior Bioware games, SWTOR feels more like a demo to me at the moment. A demo I'm thoroughly enjoying mind you, and I'm happy to stay subscribed, but if February rolls around and we're still at square one - I might have to reconsider. And it will be a tough choice, but silence can only be deafening for so long before it becomes unbearable.

I won't even start my cyborg Jedi Knight until Kira becomes available (or confirmation that she's not, although it's looking highly likely she will be, considering she's the only female JK companion) - and it's getting difficult to resist especially since all I can hear through Resident Evil 6 and Mass Effect 3 is her voice