Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Uluain
10.24.2012 , 04:50 PM | #2491
My reply, by private message to Joveth, Allison, Courtney and Amber:

Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=547395

35 minutes to close a thread that redirects to one it took you 9 months to reply to without ever having addressed its questions.

here's the summary of Things We'd Really Like To Know (and notice I am no longer saying "Please". I don't care whether it pleases you or not. You plainly don't care what pleases us):

• Will same-gender relationships be available with current companions?
  • If so, with which?
  • Will same-gender relationships be available for all eight classes?
  • If not, with which?
  • Will new relationship options be available to characters who have already fully progressed companion stories?
  • Is the awaited same-gender content on the schedule to be released with Makeb?
  • Are we still on track to see that content this year?
  • Will same-gender romance require an in-game credit or cartel coin (or any other similar) expense to unlock?

Some of these questions date back to beta testing. Others are more recent, arising from changes at BioWare Austin and in the direction of the game.

As a further question: Who determines what questions you are permitted to answer and how do I contact them? I'll direct my concerns to General Manager Matt Bromberg, barring more specific information, and will encourage others to do likewise.

Palar
10.24.2012 , 04:50 PM | #2492
Aaaand it's shut - so glad I took a week away for a deep breathe and perspective. (Plus I felt like a quitter, still got enough time on my sub to rattle the cans.)

Just to see they still have absolutely no interest in trying to quell the growing disatisfaction. "We... encourage you to continue the discussion in the already-active thread asking for more information" Really? It's been made pretty damn apparent our questions are falling on (selectively) deaf ears - at this point, it'd be kinder to just lock the threads then pretending to encourage the one-sided conversation we've got up in here.

... Ugh - I feel the urge to dunk my head in ice-water.

Tatile
10.24.2012 , 04:53 PM | #2493
Quote:
Mr. Gonzalez,

With reference to my previous message informing you of Uluain's thread, it has been locked some thirty-five (35) minutes after the thread was first posted, with a link to the current SGRA thread.

I do not whether or not to commend your team on their swift action on closing such a terrible thread, which only asked for you to consider the part of the community you have been happily ignoring for so long (when it took near nine months for someone of note to post in the SGRA thread).

As I said upon noticing the thread had been locked, it surely is a true show of Bioware's priorities.
I'm really getting sick of their pathetic little games.

Chuixupu - I am really thinking now that they have decided to shelve SGRA's.

Uluain - how does one contact Mr. Bromberg? The Community Team clearly isn't working for the community, so it would be best to start ignoring them as they are us.

natashina
10.24.2012 , 05:15 PM | #2494
<tired waves and hugs, and a special \o/ to Captain Zone>

Haven't had much of a chance to write or even play the game over the last week. Training an 18 mo old terrier not to bark has been a full time job, especially when you usually work the midnight shift. I don't know what sleep is half the time anymore.

I popped on to say that maybe it's time we write to people outside of BioWare's staff. We've got enough information, links and wonderful posts/letters to start writing blogs/news groups. I'm not 100% sure where to start, but it's the next step at this point. Nothing against the mods, but I'm pretty sure they are as much at their wits' end as we are. Between the articles that the people in this forum had to write to correct, and the overwhelming silence on EA/BW's part, this is really seeming out of control. The Powers That Be seem really happy to let the press and the LGBT community assume this content is already in the game. And I know that the moderators are exhausted with trying to get around this NDA.

I agree with the idea that most of this NDA around same gender romance is related to the fact that it's all story content. They are keeping hush hush about it, which is understandable to an extent. However, a few inconsistencies are really starting to bother me. First, we at least know Makeb is coming soon, and we know probably even further in advance that Cathars will become a playable race at some point. This would be the time to remind the playerbase that SGRs are coming, even if it's far in advance.

I was talking with Doup (my SO) about this and he agreed with a theory we've had as a thread for some time now. When SGRs were first announced in September 2011, things were looking rosy and they felt strong as a company for BW-Austin. They weathered the negative reactions from well-meaning but extreme family groups quite well. Now, Doup and I both think that since things aren't as bright, that The Powers That Be are shy about announcing SGRs. Neither of us believe EA/BW is going to drop SGRs, but they really don't know how to approach this with the rest of the world.

My personal take is that if they could do it with ME3's relationships, they should have started talking about ToR's role sooner. Not go onto LGBT friendly game sites and let stuff like, "Same gender romance is a staple of SW:ToR" go to print. Not by denying the poor moderators (and some of the writers too, if Mr. Hood is any indication) information to the player base.

I've stopped writing the mods for now. I'm starting to look at other sites. Perhaps the only way anything will at least get confirmed for this year is if there is some outside pressure from the gaming community.

Quote: Originally Posted by Community Manager
The question of the day is always meant to be fun and certainly wasn't meant to offend or frustrate anyone, so we apologize if it did.
I just wish BW's higher ups would think about questions like the one on Facebook. I can understand the fun aspect, but a little research would have found that came off in poor taste. It's not the mods or the devs at this point I'm getting angry with, its with the ones that ultimately okay the release of updated information. I figure if we can't get their attention via through the company, I wonder what some other more professional bloggers and news sites can do. Although sending them a red velvet cake is sorely tempting

Say, didn't they send something like 300 cupcakes to BW in protest of ME3's ending?

Tatile
10.24.2012 , 05:24 PM | #2495
Well, perhaps if we go back to those two sites we had to correct? They were pretty happy to run articles about pro-LGBT gaming companies and perhaps they may be interested in why we told them that SGRA's are not in SWTOR?

Not sure if I'd want to contact them and cite my own posts, however. That just seems like an exercise in intense navel gazing.

Uluain
10.24.2012 , 05:25 PM | #2496
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Uluain - how does one contact Mr. Bromberg? The Community Team clearly isn't working for the community, so it would be best to start ignoring them as they are us.
All I can garner is a street address, and a phone number that presumably goes to the front office:

Matthew Bromberg
General Manager, BioWare Austin
3110 Esperanza Crossing, Ste. 110
Austin, TX 78758

(512) 382-8682

Tatile
10.24.2012 , 05:26 PM | #2497
Snail mail or a very expensive phone call. I'll give Google a poke when I'm not suffering the on-set of a tiredness headache.

natashina
10.24.2012 , 05:31 PM | #2498
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Well, perhaps if we go back to those two sites we had to correct? They were pretty happy to run articles about pro-LGBT gaming companies and perhaps they may be interested in why we told them that SGRA's are not in SWTOR?

Not sure if I'd want to contact them and cite my own posts, however. That just seems like an exercise in intense navel gazing.

I was thinking that we could all get together and try to organize our thoughts and feelings about the handling of this situation. Not just site one post, but try to write an open and collective letter, and I'm aiming for a little longer than Uluain's excellent post. (grumbles in the direction of yellow text, gives Uluain a hug) Also, send them the link to the faq as well. It would be a productive project. And good call Tatile; going back to gameindustrybiz and trying to write them would be a great place to start. Trying to play nice doesn't work.

And I've got a letter to write this week from the looks of it. Gonna start with snail mail before I start the phone calls. Plus, I can't help but wonder what those in LGBT gaming community (especially ones that are not on the forums, quietly hoping for SGRs) would feel about the responses from BW.

Tatile
10.24.2012 , 05:36 PM | #2499
I'll try to figure out what it is I actually think about this and how I can put it into words, Natashina. It could take me a while, but perhaps it might be useful.

Palar
10.24.2012 , 05:37 PM | #2500
What responses?