Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
10.17.2012 , 08:42 AM | #2401
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaac View Post
I dunno if anyone's seen this link. It's an article about EA and Zynga's inclusion of LGBT themes. Presumably not EA's fault but rather the writer of the article, but it goes on to mention that SW:TOR recently added SGRA's. I know two people who saw the article and almost resubbed before realizing it wasn't true.

Anyways just thought I'd share it for anyone interested in reading about it.
Unfortunately, it's pretty much the same article as gameindustrybiz, just reposted by theverge. What Tatile and I are taking issue with is the fact that they are outright lying about SGRs currently being in game. I said to Hades with it and contacted the US and EU editors for gameindustrybiz about this.

"Recently EA added the ability to participate in homosexual relationships to Star Wars: The Old Republic, expressing that the LGBT issues should not be ignored," --theverve

Really? Really???? Anyone that feels like they been fed a bunch of bull should write to that site as well.

I want to be nice. I really do. I'm still trying by being polite and courteous. I'm not going to attack the CRS, since they are giving us what they can. So I'm not going to shoot the messenger. However, the handling of this by BW/EA feels like a slap in the face. I don't want the game to suffer, but I don't want to be belittled and lied to either.

Bah, I'm going to bed. Overnight shift and all that. I'll be in a better mood by then. I've done all I can. I've emailed/pm'd/emailed some more. We'll see what happens.

Edit: Sorry for the rant guys. I'm tired and cranky, so thanks for bearing with me. I try to avoid ranting, but this touched a serious nerve.

Icebergy
10.17.2012 , 09:24 AM | #2402
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Please let's not get off-track with a critique of aspects of the RL politics of orientation. This is not the place for it.

As it has been a while, and to keep these concerns accessible to the community team, here's the summary of Things We'd Really Like To Know, Please:

• Will same-gender relationships be available with current companions?
  • If so, with which?
  • Will same-gender relationships be available for all eight classes?
  • If not, with which?
  • Will new relationship options be available to characters who have already fully progressed companion stories?
  • Is the awaited same-gender content on the schedule to be released with Makeb?
  • Are we still on track to see that content this year?
  • Will same-gender romance require an in-game credit or cartel coin (or any other similar) expense to unlock?

Some of these questions date back to beta testing. Others are more recent, arising from changes at BioWare Austin and in the direction of the game. Clarification of any would be appreciated.

I can answer that for you.

-No.
-Yes.
-No.
-I have heard a rumor that there is some SGRA with NPCs in Makeb, but for companions, not yet. It will be when we get new companions.
-Makeb yes, SGRA looks doubtful unless you count it with NPCs on Makeb.
-This is the only one I can't answer. It is definitely possible that the SGRA enabled companions will be cartel coin purchases, but they could just as easily add them in with the level increase.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Captain_Zone
10.17.2012 , 10:31 AM | #2403
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post

-No.
-Yes.
-No.
-I have heard a rumor that there is some SGRA with NPCs in Makeb, but for companions, not yet. It will be when we get new companions.
-This is the only one I can't answer. It is definitely possible that the SGRA enabled companions will be cartel coin purchases, but they could just as easily add them in with the level increase.
Actually, BioWare reps have stated that SGRs will be available with some current companions. Your intel is faulty.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

stormdrakelord
10.17.2012 , 12:20 PM | #2404
I know this may be old but, I think we got hints on some of who might be SGR options when SGR's are released, what with the courting gifts for some companions from the same gender PC still add affection points.

not getting my hopes up on that though.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Quething
10.17.2012 , 12:46 PM | #2405
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post

-No.
-Yes.
-No.
[citation needed]

Uluain
10.17.2012 , 12:59 PM | #2406
Indeed.

All we have ever been led to expect is same-gener romance options with companion characters. Don't get me wrong I would very much like to see same-gender [Flirt] prompts for mission NPCs as well, but BioWare has never so much as mentioned this as a possibility.

So unless you can document your sources, I am not going to be able to credit your guesses. We are asking BioWare to answer those points because they do remain ambiguous or else otherwise in doubt even in the wake of what has been said about same-gender romance in SWTOR.

We have a pretty comprehensive catalog of statements on the subject. If you have information we don't, please do share it.

Tatile
10.17.2012 , 03:25 PM | #2407
Apologies, but that TheVerge article pissed me right the **** off and I felt the need to contact the author:
Quote:
Dear Alexa Ray Corriea,

I feel obliged to inform you that there is a gross factual inaccuracy in your recent article:
"EA, Zynga say LGBT themes are a 'non-issue' for company investors"

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...pany-investors

This inaccuracy being that "Recently EA added the ability to participate in homosexual relationships to Star Wars: The Old Republic" - that is wholly and completely untrue. Same-sex relationship options, whether they be with the Companion NPC's attached to each class or those that exist in the world in general are not possible. The option simply does not exist.

I would direct your attention to the Same Gender Relationships Clarifications? thread on the official Star Wars: The Old Republic forums: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=476215 where the subject of same-sex options has been around since beta, with nary a look-in from developers.

In the interest of accuracy I would like to suggest that you amend your article with regards to Star Wars: The Old Republic having same-sex romance options. It is untrue and a gross disregard for the issues the LGBT community is having with the companies of Bioware and EA over the decision not to include same-sex options in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Sincerely,

<name removed>
You do not get away with spreading such blatant lies.

Contacted Mr. Gonzalez on the subject:
Quote:
Mr. Gonzalez,

I feel it is necessary to tell you that two articles I have recently encountered have spread blatant lies about the game Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The first of Games Industry:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ue-of-our-Time

The second of The Verge:
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...pany-investors

Both articles state that same-sex romance options are currently available in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Ms. Corriea even went so far as to say "Recently EA added the ability to participate in homosexual relationships to Star Wars: The Old Republic"

These people are spreading lies about Star Wars: The Old Republic. If possible I believe that Bioware should contact these magazines and tell them the truth: that same-sex romances are not in-game and that their future is uncertain. Having such blatant factual inaccuracies circulating around Star Wars: The Old Republic is only going to further damage its reputation.
I'm just... this really just *********** pisses me off. You'd think that even the most basic of journalists would have the scrap of sense to follow up on such a subject, instead of regurgitating such blatant misinformation.

Nothing's going to happen, of course, because they don't care. This only proves it.

stuffystuffs
10.17.2012 , 04:34 PM | #2408
It looks like the article was edited...I see no mention of SWTOR.

Uluain
10.17.2012 , 04:54 PM | #2409
"Blatant lies" is a bit strong, really. It is (or was) a misunderstanding caused by the announced intention of bringing SGRs to SWTOR. This is not the first time those reporting on the issue have been confused. It would be a blatant lie if that story had run as written, had EA/BW said that they would never include SGRs. It's a flub, and has been corrected in the gameindustry.biz article.

Tatile
10.17.2012 , 05:01 PM | #2410
It has been corrected in both articles, in fact.

Yes, I agree "lies" is a bit strong, which is why for the most part I tried to use "factually incorrect". It's just the second article got my blood up...

I'll try to be more restrained in future.

(Me: My god, they edited the articles.
Husband: Nice! You probably had an impact.)