Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
10.13.2012 , 11:01 AM | #2301
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
All that said, I STILL have faith that BioWare will push to do the right thing here. It's one of the things that they're known for. P2G is not what BioWare is all about.
I guess we'll have to wait for Free2Play or the new year until the decide to tell us whether or not equal representation costs money. I'm under no illusions that they'll freely offer us the information, let alone the content.

Captain_Zone
10.13.2012 , 11:10 AM | #2302
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I guess we'll have to wait for Free2Play or the new year until the decide to tell us whether or not equal representation costs money. I'm under no illusions that they'll freely offer us the information, let alone the content.
Like I said, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I believe BioWare will push for making SGRs free, but I'm also taking EA's greed into account when I say it's a very real possibility that EA will have the final word and make it P2G.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

stuffystuffs
10.13.2012 , 11:29 AM | #2303
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
To be fair, there was some in a Jedi thread awhile back that wanted to shut off relationships via a toggle in order to "roleplay a [celibate] Jedi properly." That got shot down because, again, if a player doesn't want to return a [Flirt], they can always ignore them.
Really? That's kind of funny.

Did they want to toggle off Dark Side Choices so they could "roleplay a LS Jedi properly"?

I think some people believe that the presented dialog options are three responses/actions that their character is considering simultaneously so if there's a [flirt] present on the wheel, the character is thinking about it (but can choose not the do it). That's silly if you think about.

In these type of RPGs, choosing the best response for your character from 3 (or more) dialogs is how you roleplay a character. These options are pretty much the same for all (well, except for the discriminatory gender differences in flirting availability).

Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
About 60% of BW SGR stories involve breathless schoolgirl types going "*gasp* I know this is forbidden and so very wrong, but..." In a setting where it is okay to be openly gay it screws up that dynamic.
Like, which ones?
Node guarder

Tatile
10.13.2012 , 11:45 AM | #2304
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Like, which ones?
Did you miss the bit where the female Sith Warrior blushes furiously as Quinn pulls her into his strong arms and whispers sweet nothings in her ear, and you catch a glimpse of Pierce in the background preparing twin pistols at dawn?

Or when Andronikus quietly confesses his love for the female Sith Inquisitor under the falling petals of the cherry blossom tree and she dramatically swoons, then declares: "We can't! I was once a slave. I'm still tainted by my chains!" and then he, caressing her cheek and tears hanging from his long lashes, says that, too, was once a slave. A slave to menace of the Republic. End scene.

Or the moment when, as an Agent, you return to your ship and find Kaliyo wearing a little black dress and a blonde wig, standing next to a romantic dinner for two. I chose the option to question what she was doing, at which point she FLUNG herself at my Agent and beat her fists pitifully against his chest, screaming "I thought this would make you love me!"

My Agent later found Temple on the bridge, silent and still, her face stained with tears. "Go with her, you knew her the longest." She sounded so dead inside...

Ok, I admit that got a bit out of hand. It's not really a comment on the idea of "60% of romances being blushing schoolgirls" but rather how silly I find the idea that any of the female companions and characters I've run into would be blushing schoolgirls. The closest person to the description is Quinn. I couldn't even see Ashara being a blushing schoolgirl...
Spoiler

natashina
10.13.2012 , 11:46 AM | #2305
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Really? That's kind of funny.

Did they want to toggle off Dark Side Choices so they could "roleplay a LS Jedi properly"?

I think some people believe that the presented dialog options are three responses/actions that their character is considering simultaneously so if there's a [flirt] present on the wheel, the character is thinking about it (but can choose not the do it). That's silly if you think about.
Amusingly enough, it was suggested at one point in that thread to shut off DS/LS choices for "real" Jedis. I found it silly not only from a game perspective, but also from a roleplaying one as well. Jedi's are always going to have temptations towards the Dark Side, whether through romantic attachments or the feeling of power. That's why I feel it's equally silly and wrong to toggle off all romance content for that purpose. For example, a Jedi would have to deal with love, passion and the consequences therein. It would lose a lot of meaning I have towards my JK if he had the easiest choices all the time(i.e no romance and no DS choices available.)

Plus, generally speaking, many people out there have had to deal with unwanted flirting from time to time in real life. I think it adds a lot to the game for that to happen here, though there needs to be some balance. Male(rp'd gay) smuggler = too many unwanted flirts. On the other hand, Natashina(Jugg, rp'd bisexual) = not enough flirts, wanted or otherwise.

Now about those flirting equality issues...I know that's for another thread, but I did want to touch on it here some.

HellbirdIV
10.13.2012 , 12:03 PM | #2306
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
About 60% of BW SGR stories involve breathless schoolgirl types going "*gasp* I know this is forbidden and so very wrong, but..."
Let's see, I romanced Liara, Samara (for all the good that did me) and Samantha Traynor in ME, and Leliana in DAO, none of which made a big deal out of the homosexuality. So I guess I just don't see what you mean? Does this have something to do with the many BW RPGs that I didn't play?

Baptes
10.13.2012 , 12:08 PM | #2307
Spoiler

Spoiler

natashina
10.13.2012 , 12:11 PM | #2308
Quote: Originally Posted by Baptes View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
I'd heard about that too. I look forward to meeting Ashara in game, but it'll be a bit(Res'nullis is lvl 12.) Isn't she the male Sith Inquis' LI?

Spoiler

Is she another Alderaan or Taris recruit(ala Loken?)

Tatile
10.13.2012 , 12:14 PM | #2309

Now about those flirting equality issues...I know that's for another thread, but I did want to touch on it here some.
Equality isn't something this game has done very well, at all. I suppose we could bang on about the problems of [Flirt] options, the minutiae of representation (whether sex or race) in positions of power and of course the 'coolness' imbalance of the factions (Imperials are so stylish*) in skill animations and gear, but it would all be for naught considering that it has yet to be demonstrated that anyone relevant at Bioware actually cares about player's opinions. I know we whinge and we ***** and we moan ad nauseum, but if one is willing to sift through the vitriol and the vomit there are quite a few good points out there. The main problem is a lot of what people want to express has been dressed up in cruel tones and words due to frustration or general spite.

*We accept all lifestyles so long as it doesn't involve overt breeding with the lesser species (bastard offspring still allowed, but will not be seen or heard, of course), so naturally persecuted geniuses of all walks of life has set up shop on Dromund Kaas. Also nothing makes silk flow like the tears of slaves.

p.s. Before I get yelled at, the footnote is in jest. Kitten tears are what make silk so magical.

Tatile
10.13.2012 , 12:16 PM | #2310
I'd heard about that too. I look forward to meeting Ashara in game, but it'll be a bit(Res'nullis is lvl 12.) Isn't she the male Sith Inquis' LI?

Spoiler

Is she another Alderaan or Taris recruit(ala Loken?)
She's on Taris, so Chapter 2 of Sith Inquisitor line. And it's the most... argh... experience it for yourself. Let's just say whenever I've spoken to her she doesn't come across as the sharpest lightbulb in crayon tub.