Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
10.05.2012 , 02:21 AM | #2151
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
You know, even if we somehow equate adding same-gender options to existing characters as "external forces changing their sexuality" I still want my Consular to be able to flirt with Nadia even if she does turn her down. I don't think the characters need to be altered to allow them to be open-minded to the possibility of same-sex romance.
I think the game would indeed a lot better if there were more ways to show interest in characters, even if they are not romance options. And talk about things like these with characters. However deep the concept may have been, there is little that shines through. And the dialogues often feel like walking through a mine field. You click through the dialogue options and suddenly what you thought would be a thoughtful argument becomes an aggressive snappy comment. The key I hit most often during dialgoues is probably the escape key.

It would also be nice if not every flirt option meets with success. In some cases the subject may simply not be interested, in other cases it depends on which flirt option you use when... I would really like to know more about why Zenith doesn't want to, for example. My main character is a twi'lek woman after all, and even if she's not after an eternal love, she might like to show the rough, strong man that life is not solily a burden.

I consider Kira my friend, I would really love to ask about love, boys and girls, see what she likes, not just because I might wanna get her laid, because I am curious about her. After all she joined the Jedi Order when she was eighteen, and has been "popular" before that, as she says herself. She might wanna qualify "popular".

Maybe, additional to romances, there should be "best friend" kind of relationships.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

HellbirdIV's Avatar


HellbirdIV
10.05.2012 , 02:55 AM | #2152
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Maybe, additional to romances, there should be "best friend" kind of relationships.
Some of the character interactions do approach this, especially between female characters and female companions; Female BH with Mako and Female Warrior with Vette have a very elder-sister-younger-sister dynamic going on (At least for me, going mostly Lightside), and I did warm to Kaliyo on my FemAgent when she started to act more like she genuinely liked her rather than just tagging along because why not.

Baptes's Avatar


Baptes
10.05.2012 , 06:00 AM | #2153
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
Some of the character interactions do approach this, especially between female characters and female companions; Female BH with Mako and Female Warrior with Vette have a very elder-sister-younger-sister dynamic going on (At least for me, going mostly Lightside), and I did warm to Kaliyo on my FemAgent when she started to act more like she genuinely liked her rather than just tagging along because why not.
Sadly though, they never did what I suggested long ago. A "more than friends, not sharing bedsheets" option.
Spoiler

*Spoilers for people who haven't done JK through Tython and hints about things you learn fairly quickly about Vette.

It just seems as though companions are so thinly fleshed out in interactions with the player a true "companion" would have its laughable. A few stories about their past (sometimes not even that much), they fight just like pets in other games (though the heals are nice), they say a few canned phrases over and over (I swear Dorne if you say "Stand still!" one more time...), a few smart arsed comments here and there, and that's about it if they don't have a romance option. Because only companions with those options get even a tiny bit more flesh (itty bitty bits that they are).

I mean I get cost and time is a factor, but couldn't some of their more useless dialogs have had a few "blood brother" kind of moments rather than some of the inane diatribes they go on about?

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but that's what I thought SWTOR was supposed to be all about..."The Story"?

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
10.05.2012 , 06:42 AM | #2154
<irony>Who needs story when you have a space key?</irony>
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
10.05.2012 , 08:31 AM | #2155
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
Personally, I'd rather they created new characters who were gay and bi. Too many people think that sexuality can be changed by external forces as it is without reinforcing that notion in entertainment. And that's pretty much all I have to say about that.
Considering most romance options don't currently display a defined sexuality, this is not even close to what would be happening.
Node guarder

Halinmonk's Avatar


Halinmonk
10.05.2012 , 08:43 AM | #2156
It's also important to remember that the companions already in game where intended to have SGR available for them from the start, but the Devs ran out of time.

natashina's Avatar


natashina
10.05.2012 , 09:12 AM | #2157
For the existing companions, some of them would be out of the closet. Nothing more, nothing else. Same equally ignorable [Flirt] options.

People come out IRL all the time and are still the same person, just open about their relationships. Plus, creating new characters just for bi/gay content is a horrible idea(no offense.) For starters, it gives the impression that "token" characters are the only way to give people LGBT content. For another, a lot of players are already attached to their current companions. So that would be a double whammy. Finally, it would contradict BW's earlier statements that they've had current companions in mind for this all along.

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
10.05.2012 , 10:34 AM | #2158
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
Personally, I'd rather they created new characters who were gay and bi. Too many people think that sexuality can be changed by external forces as it is without reinforcing that notion in entertainment. And that's pretty much all I have to say about that.
Um, I don't think that there is anything remotely like the notion of reparative therapies in a fictional companion whose romantic interest is in the hero of a story regardless of the hero's gender. The Corso in my Gunslinger's story hasn't demonstrated any orientation at all during the course of play. Giving me the option to pursue a romance won't change who he has been all along, in my story.

I can imagine some players becoming uncomfortable with certain companions if they are unlocked for SGRs, regardless of the fact that the romantic storylines are initiated by the player, but I don't see a need to cater to that.

We have the companions we have. The only new companion on the horizon is HK-51. Unless there is a whole slate of new companions on Makeb (which I very much doubt), SGRs will have to be with companions we already know. If I am mistaken, and SGRs are only through new companions on Makeb, that would mean no same-gender romances at all until after Lvl 50 hardly what we have been led to expect, and hardly on par with opposite-gender options already in game.

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
10.05.2012 , 10:35 AM | #2159
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
For starters, it gives the impression that "token" characters are the only way to give people LGBT content. For another, a lot of players are already attached to their current companions. So that would be a double whammy. Finally, it would contradict BW's earlier statements that they've had current companions in mind for this all along.
I don't think so. if new companions are released, some of which are gay only, some of which are straight it will be new content for everyone and extend the number of available options for everyone; not just because of the romance options, but also for the companions themselves. If additionally a few selected existing characters would be made available, every single player character would have effectively more options. If in turn same gender romance options are released it will be new content (if on a smaller scope) for people who are interested in same gender romances only, thus, I believe the exact opposite of what you say is true.

Some people may be attached to one particular character and some of them should be made available, but that would mean that virtually all would have to be available. I don't see the point of this thread as suggesting any particular character, but giving the options at all in the first place. There is no reason why people would like new characters less than existing ones, and the logical consequence of making every single one option work both ways seems most absurd to me.

Therefore, I think you're wrong. New characters would be a lot better than bluntly adding same gender romance options to all existing characters.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
10.05.2012 , 10:57 AM | #2160
They've stated that when SGRA's are added in the near future, it will be with current companions that "make sense".

There's no point to discuss new companions at this time.
Node guarder