Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ayslinn_Iduviel
10.03.2012 , 02:47 AM | #2071
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Trying to have a relationship with SCORPIO would be like trying to have a relationship with HK-47 - that is, you'd have to live with the fact that eventually your lover would kill you, that your lover actually actively hates you. So no. SCORPIO does not make sense. (Trust me, I've a max level IA. :P)

But on that topic... There was a "crazy droid lady" in the original KotOR series, though the droid she had a thing for was a protocol droid that she was using as a substitute for her dead husband, IIRC. It was presented as being quite creepy, and all the poor droid wanted to do was get away from her. I suspect there might be limitations of programming with might prevent droid/non-droid relations on the part of the droid.
There's also in the rep Narshadda bonus series a twi'lek female surely in love with her astromech droid you'll have to recover

Rabenschwinge
10.03.2012 , 04:01 AM | #2072
There is a similar storyline in the Nar Shadaa bonus quest on Republic side. Droids usually aren't programmed to be romantic and therefore lack the capacity. They may or may not be more than machines but they don't do that.

MoogleNut
10.03.2012 , 04:29 AM | #2073
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

This makes me more inclined to hope for an update to KotOR, changing only the fact it could work on Win 7/Win 8.
It is possible to get KoTOR to play on Windows 7 - I use this fix (scroll down to the second post for win7) and it works

http://http://www.lucasforums.com/sh...d.php?t=194296

losdia
10.03.2012 , 04:34 AM | #2074
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
There is a similar storyline in the Nar Shadaa bonus quest on Republic side. Droids usually aren't programmed to be romantic and therefore lack the capacity. They may or may not be more than machines but they don't do that.
I'm always surprised the JC Nar Shadaa quest line, which I tend to think of as the Macross Plus story, doesn't come up in conversations about droid romance more often.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Rabenschwinge
10.03.2012 , 05:08 AM | #2075
Quote: Originally Posted by MoogleNut View Post
It is possible to get KoTOR to play on Windows 7 - I use this fix (scroll down to the second post for win7) and it works

http://http://www.lucasforums.com/sh...d.php?t=194296
I think if you buy a current re-issue, or a release over Steam (KotOR: 9€, KotOR II: 10€), that should not be a problem. Steam usually fascilitates means to make sure it actually works. I had Windows 95 games and even MS-DOS games under Windows 7. I might be wrong, but I don't think the windows version supports wide screen displays. (You can still play it, but it will display a 4:3 screen)

Of course... a native version that should run without any problems whatsoever is the Mac version. Especially since it is less limited in screen resolution than the Windows version if I remember correctly.

However, people should keep in mind that the game is firstly old, and secondly the character graphics were not overwhelming when it was new. It does not entirely fit into the modern triad approach (damage dealer/healer/tank) either, roles are more circumstancial, some characters are less useful in direct combat and have advantages in other fields of action. It's a D20 game, meaning it employs rules mostly identical with the pen and paper RPG Dungeons & Dragons 3.

Sorry for the OT.

Rabenschwinge
10.03.2012 , 05:14 AM | #2076
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
I'm always surprised the JC Nar Shadaa quest line, which I tend to think of as the Macross Plus story, doesn't come up in conversations about droid romance more often.
/me thinks of a formulation to avoid spoilers
You mean... the little holiday you have there?

Some machines are definitely programmed to be romantic.
/me is off to google "Macross Plus"

That's a typical story for a cyberpunk stuff... where robots usually aren't meant to be sentient. In Star Wars it's a different story... Before thy come up with something like that for players I seriously prefer romances in all ways with sentient biologically evolved creatures that belong to speies with exactly two genders. Preferably mammal-like creatures.

Tatile
10.03.2012 , 05:35 AM | #2077
Quote:
Ms. Berryman, if possible, could you please pass the following onto Mr. Hood:

With regards to the Guild Summit earlier this year (2012), it was stated that SGRA's (Same Gender Romance Arcs) would be done with those companions with which it "makes sense". This phrase is something that has been highly debated in the Same gender relationships clarifications? thread but quite obviously these debates have been somewhat pointless as we are speculating on something that has not been expanded upon by anyone in Bioware. With that in mind I would politely request a clarification of the phrase "makes sense" in as much as we are told what are the qualifiers for "making sense" and whether or not those qualifiers are based on current written personalities of the Companions involved or if they are influenced by external qualifiers of what it is to be gay, lesbian or bisexual.

It would be most appreciated, Mr. Hood, if you or one of your writing team could become involved in the Same gender relationships clarifications? thread, either directly or through the Community Team representatives. The thread has indeed taken a turn for the disgruntled recently and it would be pleasant to return it to the discussion of in-game romances, but I feel we cannot do so without further input from yourself, Mr. Hood, and your writing team.

Thank you for consideration, Mr. Hood.

Faithfully,
Someone who has waited patiently and not-so patiently for SGRA's and acknowledgement thereof.
Another message for Ms. Berryman, this time directed to Mr. Hood (as there does not appear to be any other method to contact him). I do not expect a reply, so I'll likely be sending this again, verbatim, in a few days.

Quething
10.03.2012 , 07:10 AM | #2078
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Before thy come up with something like that for players I seriously prefer romances in all ways with sentient biologically evolved creatures that belong to speies with exactly two genders. Preferably mammal-like creatures.
I can't agree with this, since it cuts out human s/s romance, human gender being more fluid than "exactly two." Admittedly my only human PC is the only one who's probably completely straight, but it would still cut my smuggler off from Risha and that would be a damn shame. (And my knight from Satele, of course, but we all know that's not happening regardless. )

Rabenschwinge
10.03.2012 , 09:11 AM | #2079
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
I can't agree with this, since it cuts out human s/s romance, human gender being more fluid than "exactly two." Admittedly my only human PC is the only one who's probably completely straight, but it would still cut my smuggler off from Risha and that would be a damn shame. (And my knight from Satele, of course, but we all know that's not happening regardless. )
I don't see how you were able to draw that conclusion. And I'd be absolutely against making Satele Shan a romance option, firstly because you can't meet her on eyelevel, secondly because it's a part of the character that she embodies the principles the Jedi stand for in her own person. Yes, she's still a woman, but even if that surfaces sometimes, it won't in the face of player charcters. As the character who hands outs flashpoints and operations it would seem inappropriate to reward a player to be the mate of the character that stands above all republic players characters.

/me imagines [flirt] options in flashpoint briefings.

Besides, when it comes to concil members, I believe that Master Kiwiiks is largly underestimated when it comes to that. Not sure how Kira would react to that...

stuffystuffs
10.03.2012 , 10:29 AM | #2080
Quote: Originally Posted by Wittand View Post
Also that they now start discussing individual companions in such a prominent way seems to indicate that any update changing the romantic arcs of the companions can´t be too far away, since in 24 weeks ( if it is indeed a weekly feature) they will run out of non romance companions and have to talk about the romance-able ones (why Kalio is one of the few female exceptions I have explained in the above paragraph).
I don't know about that.

The purpose of these blogs could be to give a bored intern something to do.

I don't think they have a specific order planned either...in the blog thread, they asked posters to list who'd they'd like to see next.

I think these blogs are 100% independent of the (possible) upcoming SGRA feature...which is kind of sad in a way, but that's how it is.