Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rabenschwinge
10.03.2012 , 12:23 AM | #2061
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

That's why I hate the whole, "gays aren't in SW," or "if SGR happens, I'll unsub since the lore is ruined thing." There are those out there that treat this like anathema(omg, spelled that right without spell check!)
I always find it annoying when people discuss the "lore" in Star Wars and claim to know the "truth". Star Wars is fiction, true is whatever you want it to be, or nothing of it at all, but there is no such thing as an ultimate truth. Sure, it's George Lucas invention, so he has the last say about it, but that shouldn't limit us from using our own fantasy. Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree?

The unsub comments are irrelevant. Some people may unsubscribe, sure, but any change you can possibly make leads to people unsubscribing for any reason. At any day there are thousands of people subscribing and unsubscribing from the game and while some people will unsubscribe I find it highly unlikely that there will be less new subscribers than ultra-conservatives who unsubscribe because of that. The vast majorty of people will likely not care either way.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

HellbirdIV
10.03.2012 , 12:32 AM | #2062
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Some people may unsubscribe, sure, but any change you can possibly make leads to people unsubscribing for any reason. At any day there are thousands of people subscribing and unsubscribing from the game and while some people will unsubscribe I find it highly unlikely that there will be less new subscribers than ultra-conservatives who unsubscribe because of that. The vast majorty of people will likely not care either way.
Given BioWare's fanbase, I think it's pretty safe to say that the amount of subs gained from same-sex content will be substantially higher than the amount lost from the same.

And I'm saying that because what finally made me buy Mass Effect was the blue lesbians.

Captain_Zone
10.03.2012 , 01:11 AM | #2063
Unlike many others here, same gender romances are a "nice to have" feature as far as I am concerned, something of grave importance, regardless of how interesting it may be to discuss it. The existing hetero romances were not that thrilling either. If they had a Leliana I might feel different about it.
Now I have the nearly overwhelming urge to play Dragon Age Origins again with my female city elf and romance Leliana again. Love her voice and accent!
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Wittand
10.03.2012 , 01:17 AM | #2064
So I decided to come back after a few months absence and must say that I am really disappointed by the lack of information.
I hope that the rumours are true and 1.5 will finally bring SGRAs.

I know I am a little late for the Kalio companion article, but I want to say that it is actually not as discouraging as it seems at the first glance. I have not played IA past Hutta yet, but I know that Kalio is only one of the two possible full romances for a male IA and has the single most controversial romantic arc of all companions (followed by Quinn for the SW). So even though the bald bad-*** girl has every gaydar (or whatever the lesbian equivalent is called) pinging I always thought that Raina is a more likely candidate to be opened up for an SGRA since her arc seems far less controversial.

Also that they now start discussing individual companions in such a prominent way seems to indicate that any update changing the romantic arcs of the companions canīt be too far away, since in 24 weeks ( if it is indeed a weekly feature) they will run out of non romance companions and have to talk about the romance-able ones (why Kalio is one of the few female exceptions I have explained in the above paragraph). And imagine how embarrassing it would be to have such a blog about a character one week and in the next patch notes that read NPC XXX is bisexual now.

I am pretty sure that old companions (and possibly some old flirts as well) will be opened up because it is the most economic and least offensive way possible. Introducing new level 50 companions would either need a lot of resources for creating 16 NPCs or be really half-hearted by just having a one-size-does-not-fit-every-class arc that is the same for every player (and even that would need far more resources then redoing already existing companions to be available).

HellbirdIV
10.03.2012 , 01:44 AM | #2065
Quote: Originally Posted by Wittand View Post
patch notes that read NPC XXX is bisexual now.
Made me laugh. It's a good point - in the theoretical circumstances that there's a patch which applies same-gender romances, how will it be included in the patch notes? >_>

Rabenschwinge
10.03.2012 , 01:50 AM | #2066
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Now I have the nearly overwhelming urge to play Dragon Age Origins again with my female city elf and romance Leliana again. Love her voice and accent!
I just noticed the message of mine you quoted is completed messed. Of course I wanted to say that same gender romances are not something of grave importance to me because the existing because the existing romances I've seen so far are not particularly good either and I am not sure whether I'd go with one of the options even if they were introduced. But I suppose you have guessed that from the context. ^^

As for regarding that comment that everyone is suddenly bisexual now: My favourite statement from all Star Wars is "You will find one day that many truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." A given character might not be bisexual at all but either straight or lesbian, depending on who is asking and what they have set in their preferences. What is true regarding a given companion for one player must not necessarily be true for another. A male Jedi Knight's Kira will remain straight as a turbo laser beam.

Considering the limited options (which has been discussed in length before), especially for possible female gay romances, there is hardly anything they can do as to enable gay romances for the vast majority of female characters, if they want to have all classes covered and not introduce entirely new characters for most classes.

Introducing new characters which are "gay only" would be risky from Biowares point of view because that would make a lot players, who are only interested in straight options, but have no problem with homosexuality per se, seriously envious. They would consider themselves being treated unfairly (as ironic that may be) and demand that there should be content for them as well.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

losdia
10.03.2012 , 01:55 AM | #2067
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
Made me laugh. It's a good point - in the theoretical circumstances that there's a patch which applies same-gender romances, how will it be included in the patch notes? >_>
A million and half jokes spring to mind. Seriously though, BW maintains such a secretive attitude about SGR that I wouldn't be surprised if the patch notes about this was "expanded story for companions" or something that sounded equally innocuous.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Zandilar
10.03.2012 , 02:21 AM | #2068
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
A million and half jokes spring to mind. Seriously though, BW maintains such a secretive attitude about SGR that I wouldn't be surprised if the patch notes about this was "expanded story for companions" or something that sounded equally innocuous.
I'm still hoping for...
  • Innocuous Patch Note 1
  • Gays in Space
  • Innocuous Patch Note 2
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Rabenschwinge
10.03.2012 , 02:24 AM | #2069
Has anyone (not necessarily seriously) considered the possibility of gay classes? Rainbow Warrior. Lipstick Agent. Imperial Bull Dyke? (Hope no one takes offense in this, I realize those terms are often not used in a friendly way... but that's not how I mean it.)
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Zandilar
10.03.2012 , 02:45 AM | #2070
Has anyone (not necessarily seriously) considered the possibility of gay classes? Rainbow Warrior. Lipstick Agent. Imperial Bull Dyke? (Hope no one takes offense in this, I realize those terms are often not used in a friendly way... but that's not how I mean it.)
You could theoretically design a character with a certain look, I suppose... My IA Jan'neria, for example, is pretty butch (she's Body type 3, with short slicked back hair, and wears an imperial uniform), but I didn't design her with that in mind.

Now I think about it, most of my characters use the "amazon" body type... Hmm... I think that says more about me than it does about my characters, though.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.