Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HellbirdIV
10.02.2012 , 05:32 AM | #2031
As has been noted before, Imperial side does have the only real option to, in-story, make your character out to be homosexual in the Sith Warrior's sidequest with Vette - "We're all open-minded here." after all.

Maybe that's just a Sith thing though. They aren't exactly ones to conform to societal norms.

Tatile
10.02.2012 , 06:02 AM | #2032
I maintain that Bioware are making this more of an issue than it should be, but that's neither here nor there. I find it very easy to become quickly scathing, so that coupled with my tendency to spend far too much time thinking on things and you end up with my previous nonsense (expectations lain on EA/Bioware for their previous works; reminding people who want to be relaxing that discrimination is alive and well; stating that if they'd left non-white skin tones out of the game at launch it would have been fixed within weeks, without people complaining about a "black agenda" etc.)

I've heard that the Vector romance is really boring (a rock covered in ants, apparently), but if they're writing a new one for same-sex romances (if Vector's a romance, he should be) I wonder what the differences would be.

sockrocker
10.02.2012 , 06:06 AM | #2033
What I could see as an issue for the writers trying to include this post-launch is writing in new non-hetero companions for the characters, and the resources that would be required to implement them all.

So I very much doubt we will be seeing any LGBT companions until at least the next expansion.

(Failing this they could just cheat and introduce a character who's gender matches that of the player character and make them avaiable to all players like HK-51... But that would be less than Ideal).
"I haven't felt this alive since Tatooine; the first time!"

Tatile
10.02.2012 , 06:11 AM | #2034
With Mr. Amatangelo saying that he believes that SGRA's will be available with or around Makeb, it's fair to assume that (if they are companion romances and not [Flirt] prompts) that they will be with existing companions. I anticipate new companions in further expansions (if SWTOR survives that long) and that those will be a mix of straight, gay, bi-, pan- and asexuals (because no one wants to go through all this hulla-balloo again).

Kioma
10.02.2012 , 06:17 AM | #2035
Quote: Originally Posted by sockrocker View Post
What I could see as an issue for the writers trying to include this post-launch is writing in new non-hetero companions for the characters, and the resources that would be required to implement them all.

So I very much doubt we will be seeing any LGBT companions until at least the next expansion.
See, I don't know that I agree with that. I can see your reasoning but the way it was presented at the Guild Summit in March makes me feel that there's a very good chance that they've already tagged several existing characters for SGRAs. They already know who's going to be made SGRA-capable and they're not saying whom but unless their 'this year' comment was an outright falsehood (and I've no reason to feel it was) I'd say it'll include some existing characters.

I think it's more of a concern to me that they might not introduce access to those stories until level 50 or post-50.

Quote:
(Failing this they could just cheat and introduce a character who's gender matches that of the player character and make them avaiable to all players like HK-51... But that would be less than Ideal).
That would be very unsatisfactory. And also they've already made it rather clear that there'll be plural characters that get SGRA'd.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Kioma
10.02.2012 , 06:19 AM | #2036
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I've heard that the Vector romance is really boring (a rock covered in ants, apparently), but if they're writing a new one for same-sex romances (if Vector's a romance, he should be) I wonder what the differences would be.
Vector's one of the IA companions, right? My Chiss IA isn't high enough to have found him.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile
10.02.2012 , 06:23 AM | #2037
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Vector's one of the IA companions, right? My Chiss IA isn't high enough to have found him.
Yeah, he's the second companion but you don't get him for a long while. He's a nice mesh of Imperial duty and the wider galaxy, but I'll try not to spoil anything further.

sockrocker
10.02.2012 , 06:29 AM | #2038
See, I don't know that I agree with that. I can see your reasoning but the way it was presented at the Guild Summit in March makes me feel that there's a very good chance that they've already tagged several existing characters for SGRAs. They already know who's going to be made SGRA-capable and they're not saying whom but unless their 'this year' comment was an outright falsehood (and I've no reason to feel it was) I'd say it'll include some existing characters.

I think it's more of a concern to me that they might not introduce access to those stories until level 50 or post-50.
I hope you are correct.
I can certainly think of some characters that would make obvious choices.
"I haven't felt this alive since Tatooine; the first time!"

stuffystuffs
10.02.2012 , 09:42 AM | #2039
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
As has been noted before, Imperial side does have the only real option to, in-story, make your character out to be homosexual in the Sith Warrior's sidequest with Vette - "We're all open-minded here." after all.

Maybe that's just a Sith thing though. They aren't exactly ones to conform to societal norms.
Yeah, the Sith are very much preachers of the "the individual is more important than the whole" gospel. So if an individual Sith wants to forgo marriage/children and instead have a harem full of peeps that are of the same gender as they are, then it's all good.

...and lust is lust, passion is passion.

Uluain
10.02.2012 , 11:50 AM | #2040
I like the idea of SGRAs. I think they would be good to have in game.

How about we talk about that before we self-destruct?
I'd have prefered a reply to my post, personally. But you all have fun in happy-land.