Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
10.01.2012 , 03:59 PM | #2011
Thanks for popping in, ebado. Don't be a stranger.

To address your points, however, from what we heard at the Guild Summit last March, the writers knew from the time that same-gender companion romances were announced which companions they had in mind for that, and they have continued along those lines.

We were also told that the writing gets a huge lead-time so, while they may not have had the chance to write up the stories in such elaboration over a few months, it seems that the production time since ought to have allowed them scope to handle things however they felt the game requires.

By this point, these are all but in the can. We can talk about what would or wouldn't be satisfying but really there isn't anything we can say to influence these decisions they have already been made. Discussing them does however help demonstrating what unanswered questions and concerns we have. Which is pretty much why this thread is still here.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
10.01.2012 , 03:59 PM | #2012
Quote: Originally Posted by Baptes View Post
And boy, they must loathe us by now! We're that itch in a spot they just can't reach. It will eventually boil over if it hasn't begun to already. I feel like a child that wants attention so badly after being ignored for so long I'll take negative attention just so I can feel some kind of emotional response from an uncaring parent.
Yes, but are we to the point where we're throwing a screaming fit in the middle of the supermarket while other adults are standing around whispering about how terrible a parent Bioware must be?

I do hope Bioware hasn't become Tone Deaf Mum :|

ebado's Avatar


ebado
10.01.2012 , 04:02 PM | #2013
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Thanks for popping in, ebado. Don't be a stranger.

To address your points, however, from what we heard at the Guild Summit last March, the writers knew from the time that same-gender companion romances were announced which companions they had in mind for that, and they have continued along those lines.

We were also told that the writing gets a huge lead-time so, while they may not have had the chance to write up the stories in such elaboration over a few months, it seems that the production time since ought to have allowed them scope to handle things however they felt the game requires.

By this point, these are all but in the can. We can talk about what would or wouldn't be satisfying but really there isn't anything we can say to influence these decisions they have already been made. Discussing them does however help demonstrating what unanswered questions and concerns we have. Which is pretty much why this thread is still here.
I'm aware. I wasn't trying to influence anything, just sharing my opinion.

Baptes's Avatar


Baptes
10.01.2012 , 04:06 PM | #2014
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Yes, but are we to the point where we're throwing a screaming fit in the middle of the supermarket while other adults are standing around whispering about how terrible a parent Bioware must be?

I do hope Bioware hasn't become Tone Deaf Mum :|
Well as long as Papa EA doesn't take Momma Bioware out behind the cabin where the wood chipper is, Scream On.

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
10.01.2012 , 04:06 PM | #2015
Quote: Originally Posted by Baptes View Post
I feel like a child that wants attention so badly after being ignored for so long I'll take negative attention just so I can feel some kind of emotional response from an uncaring parent.
I won't disclose my methods, but yes that is pretty much what it took to get the reply we did get out of Joveth.

And of course we barnstormed the Community Q&A last winter to get the info we finally saw at the Guild Summit.

I am guessing those who could give the go-ahead to talk about this have never raised children, because anyone who has* can tell you that when you WANT to pay attention and respond is when a child is asking APPROPRIATELY. And yet, behaving ourselves has never gotten us anywhere.

So indeed, they are creating the very situation you describe with the distinction that we are in fact adults, so we are capable of creating trouble in ways a toddler couldn't begin to think up, even within the Rules of Conduct. Not that I advocate that sort of thing.

I actually am trying to behave myself just now, and only sinking the occasional barb in where I am handed an opening (such as Kaliyo blog discussion) I cannot pass up.

*Yes, I am gay, and no, I don't have kids. But I have neices and a nephew, I took courses in education and child development and moreover was a nanny for five years.

Baptes's Avatar


Baptes
10.01.2012 , 05:12 PM | #2016
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I won't disclose my methods, but yes that is pretty much what it took to get the reply we did get out of Joveth.

And of course we barnstormed the Community Q&A last winter to get the info we finally saw at the Guild Summit.

I am guessing those who could give the go-ahead to talk about this have never raised children, because anyone who has* can tell you that when you WANT to pay attention and respond is when a child is asking APPROPRIATELY. And yet, behaving ourselves has never gotten us anywhere.

So indeed, they are creating the very situation you describe with the distinction that we are in fact adults, so we are capable of creating trouble in ways a toddler couldn't begin to think up, even within the Rules of Conduct. Not that I advocate that sort of thing.

I actually am trying to behave myself just now, and only sinking the occasional barb in where I am handed an opening (such as Kaliyo blog discussion) I cannot pass up.

*Yes, I am gay, and no, I don't have kids. But I have neices and a nephew, I took courses in education and child development and moreover was a nanny for five years.
Yes, for the most part we have gone above and beyond with being polite and "behaving". And it has gotten us nothing really. Only time when we get anything is when we act up.

And frankly if that's what it takes to get some straig...honest answers to simple questions we have been asking all along and which they stubbornly stay silent on, well to quote Captain FancyPants "I aim to misbehave".

Palar's Avatar


Palar
10.01.2012 , 08:00 PM | #2017
Quote: Originally Posted by Baptes View Post
Yes, for the most part we have gone above and beyond with being polite and "behaving". And it has gotten us nothing really. Only time when we get anything is when we act up.

And frankly if that's what it takes to get some straig...honest answers to simple questions we have been asking all along and which they stubbornly stay silent on, well to quote Captain FancyPants "I aim to misbehave".
"The squeaky wheel gets the grease", unfortunately.

losdia's Avatar


losdia
10.01.2012 , 08:20 PM | #2018
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
"The squeaky wheel gets the grease", unfortunately.
Speaking of us being a squeaky wheel, did anyone else notice they locked the latest thread over on general discussion with a promise that it would be reopened "soon." They claimed they had to clear out all of the OT comments. That was 12 hours ago. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they didn't like us hanging out outside the "ghetto thread" but they've decided that their old line about this being the official thread came across as too harsh.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

HellbirdIV's Avatar


HellbirdIV
10.01.2012 , 08:37 PM | #2019
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
Speaking of us being a squeaky wheel, did anyone else notice they locked the latest thread over on general discussion with a promise that it would be reopened "soon." They claimed they had to clear out all of the OT comments. That was 12 hours ago. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they didn't like us hanging out outside the "ghetto thread" but they've decided that their old line about this being the official thread came across as too harsh.
If they don't want people to make posts arguing homosexuality they really should consider releasing a proper official statement about SGRs...

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
10.01.2012 , 08:45 PM | #2020
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
Speaking of us being a squeaky wheel, did anyone else notice they locked the latest thread over on general discussion with a promise that it would be reopened "soon." They claimed they had to clear out all of the OT comments. That was 12 hours ago. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they didn't like us hanging out outside the "ghetto thread" but they've decided that their old line about this being the official thread came across as too harsh.
I don't even see that thread in the list on my profile of threads I have started. I know it was locked (and in all honesty had expected it to be immediately upon being seen). But I missed that message and have not been able to find it. Has it been deleted?

EDIT - No, still there. http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...73#post5229473

And from the CS post, I think they got where I was going with the thread. Perhaps they left it open because they are working on getting clearance to reply. That would be great. A lock down to cool things off and sweep out the abusive posts is fine. I trust them to re-open it. If it takes too much longer, I will enquire. Do try to appreciate that they have allowed an SGR thread in General!

Thank you, Community Team. I know you can only do so much for us until you can answer our questions here. I am trying to stay positive. But I am going to continue to ask.


EDIT 2 --
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
If they don't want people to make posts arguing homosexuality they really should consider releasing a proper official statement about SGRs...
No, I think that it is specifically because they know they have not been able to that they actually let that thread stay. Seriously, since all the lifetime of the post-launch forums, that may be a first. It's significant of an understanding of the situation we're in.