Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AelixVII
09.25.2012 , 01:07 PM | #1671
I've lurked and occasionally posted in this thread since the beginning and am delighted at how the community has stuck with it.

I told myself I would wait, but that totally didn't work and so I started a male Agent recently... Despite being bummed out about not being able to romance Vector, recent news in this thread has brightened my day! Hopefully it won't be too much longer now.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ixum View Post
Sitting here fantasizing about SGRA and playing around with photoshop... please tell me if this is off topic or totally out of line. This might contain small inquisitor spoilers
If you ever have any fantasies about male Agent and Vector please feel free to share! Your work is always fabulous by the way.

PluckyDog
09.25.2012 , 01:45 PM | #1672
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Quick straw poll. Do you think BioWare is doing an adequate job of addressing same-gender content in SWTOR?
[ ] Yes
[ X ] No

Not in the least.

Uluain
09.25.2012 , 02:00 PM | #1673
Yeah - I was having a bitter, grumpy day when I posted that poll, and I still remain critical of policies I infer to be in place that restrict how the developers or community team can respond to player issues particularly where those have resulted in the appearance of this subject being stuck in a corner and ignored.

But I think I am seeing cracks in the ice or, at the very least, indications that those in the know do genuinely realize how frustrating our wait has been. I think pointing out how the situation has been problematic may have helped. But today we do have a happy turn of events, which I am taking as a sign of better things to come.

Remember, they have 4.1 to release, then F2P, then another warzone and who knows what all, or when Makeb is coming after that. I don't expect to hear a lot. It is nice, however, to occasionally hear something, and better when it is something definite.

Tatile
09.25.2012 , 02:12 PM | #1674
Yeah - I was having a bitter, grumpy day when I posted that poll, and I still remain critical of policies I infer to be in place that restrict how the developers or community team can respond to player issues particularly where those have resulted in the appearance of this subject being stuck in a corner and ignored.

But I think I am seeing cracks in the ice or, at the very least, indications that those in the know do genuinely realize how frustrating our wait has been.
I did find it interesting that Mr. Hood said "we have not been ignoring" people who want SGRA's - they have a funny way of showing interest, not saying a damn thing for months on end except for the occasional "soon".

Evidently Mr. Hood and I have very different definitions of ignoring people.

Kioma
09.25.2012 , 02:21 PM | #1675
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I did find it interesting that Mr. Hood said "we have not been ignoring" people who want SGRA's - they have a funny way of showing interest, not saying a damn thing for months on end except for the occasional "soon".

I suppose there's a difference between ignoring someone, and simply not showing that you're paying attention.

Frankly we've seen no indication to date that they're NOT doing the former - ie. we've repeatedly voiced very clear and specific concerns that they could indeed address, even if it's to say 'About THIS matter: we're not sure/can't say yet,' and they haven't so much as made mention of them. The closest we got was the Guild Summit when the specific concept of turning off gender check flags was addressed (but frankly that's an obvious imperfect 'solution' and may have had nothing to do with this thread at all). Until the matters stated here are addressed we have no proof they're not ignoring us.

However, they're essentially claiming, 'Oh, we're paying attention, we're just choosing not to answer any of your questions,' which really doesn't speak any better of them.

Glad to have 'the official word' (which is that the PvP lead thinks but isn't sure that there's 'some content' coming with Makeb - the best Gabe could say, I'm sure, but as 'official words' go it's pretty damn flimsy), but my personal suggestion to Hall Hood would be to recognise that nobody at Bioware AT ALL has given us solid confirmation AND evidence that this thread or any of its kind are being looked at, that our concerns are being weighed.

Loose lips, as they say, sink ships*.

* = In this case, 'Oh, we're paying attention, we're listening, honest,' means nothing if our concerns aren't addressed with us, and could seriously damage morale further.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Palar
09.25.2012 , 02:29 PM | #1676
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Haha, I'm glad that unsure/unofficial statement is now the official statement
G: "Possibly this year, I'm not really sure but that's what I hear at the water-cooler."
H: "There you have it, people. It's official!"

I kid, I kid (what else can I do?). Can't find the 1 of 2 tweet either, oddly.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post

Given his name sounds like a super-hero's secret identity, maybe he's always watching?

Roodbot
09.25.2012 , 02:32 PM | #1677
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayslinn_Iduviel View Post
Another lurker here.. :P btw I think that, as Makeb should be the biggest expansion from the beginning, maybe they'll relase it for the game birthday on December. At least that's what I hope
That is a great idea! I would be so very impressed with EA if they came out with a planet a year. (Or is that too much to hope for?)
Once you go tank, you never go back!

Uluain
09.25.2012 , 02:36 PM | #1678
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I suppose there's a difference between ignoring someone, and simply not showing that you're paying attention.

Frankly we've seen no indication to date that they're NOT doing the former - ie. we've repeatedly voiced very clear and specific concerns that they could indeed address, even if it's to say 'About THIS matter: we're not sure/can't say yet,' and they haven't so much as made mention of them.
I don't think they can. I think it's likely that even Gabe A. probably shouldn't have let slip what he did, had protocols been followed. I really get a sense that they really don't like the fact that the current strictures give the strong impression that they are neglecting the subject. I also infer some attempts to work around the policy in various ways, and perhaps even hints that there is some movement toward re-assessing how this subject is handled.

Just for one example, the thread I started in General Discussion is still open, and not because the Community Team has overlooked it they have already been through at least once to sweep out problem posts, and are just letting it run, perhaps experimentally. A small change, certainly. But that is a huge departure from how things have been done in the past. And I think one that indicates real attention to the meta-issue of how SGR discussion is treated, and is a step in the right direction.

Tatile
09.25.2012 , 02:37 PM | #1679
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
G: "Possibly this year, I'm not really sure but that's what I hear at the water-cooler."
H: "There you have it, people. It's official!"

I kid, I kid (what else can I do?). Can't find the 1 of 2 tweet either, oddly.
Kidding? No, that was pretty much it. That was essentially a re-hash of the Guild Summit with a person who still works for Bioware, but not on the relevant department and with not real idea of what's going on in the writer's room. To be honest, he could have said "why yes, Wookies do have pink fur" and with Mr. Hood's vague response of "yes" I give them about as much credit as I give Clegger's recent apology.

I highly doubt that Mr. Hood is ever going to make a post in this thread clarifying the state and details of same-sex romances and content in this game. I would defy him to prove me wrong, but given this company's record on actually communicating with the player base I know exactly what he's going to do: nothing.

SilentKitty
09.25.2012 , 02:41 PM | #1680
Makeb is a new planet they are introducing, some time in the near future, which will include story progression along with new missions and so on. Details at this point are scarce. They tend not to let a lot out in advance.

As far as we can infer from what we have been told to date, there will be same-gender romances available with some existing companions. We don't know which, or how those will be tied it. There are a lot of unanswered questions still. But we do now know, definitively, that SGRs have not been scrapped and are on the way, in spite of what some doomsayers have supposed.

Woot! I have to start lvl:ing my toons faster. My dream is playing all the 8 class stories with the hetro romance first. Then play them over again, with a new AC and a SGR romance. I fully believe that we will see these romances in the game at some point. Even if I always start out my heroines with a male LI, the second PT most often has a female LI. Have had a great time playing through the romance between my Warden & Leliana, FemHawke & Daisy, FemShep & Liara and FemShep & Traynor. I'm hoping that it's sooner rather than later for those of you who are lvl:ing faster than me. But I don't believe for a second that they wouldn't put it in the game.