Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

NRVNQSR
09.21.2012 , 04:54 AM | #1561
I will say that the one thing I am NOT looking forward to will be the flood of people spamming general chat about how ToR is ruined, going down the drain, hemmoraging players etc. Granted, we get them any time ANY change is made to the game, but it still gets on my nerves.

That being said, that's not even close to enough to make me want this not to happen! Let's get some SGR going on so my Smuggler can actually have some romance in her life! (corso sucks)

natashina
09.21.2012 , 05:18 AM | #1562
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Happy Birthday!!! *\o/*
Thanks!

Tatile
09.21.2012 , 05:43 AM | #1563
Quote: Originally Posted by NRVNQSR View Post
I will say that the one thing I am NOT looking forward to will be the flood of people spamming general chat about how ToR is ruined, going down the drain, hemmoraging players etc. Granted, we get them any time ANY change is made to the game, but it still gets on my nerves.
The Imperial Insignia is two shades lighter in patch 1.4 than in 1.3! Bioware doesn't care about players and lore! *whinge whinge whinge*

It is pretty pathetic that the amount of complaining on this forum undermines the genuine concerns that get raised. We can expect to see the whining and general ************ over SGRA's for about a week, week and a half maybe, after they drop on the PTS, but by the time they hit live I'm sure most people who are oh-so-sensitive! and insecure about the subject will have either left the game or built that bridge I mentioned a while back. The whinge-fests cycle in and out of vogue faster than celebrity diets. While the game might become a toxic cesspool of bigotry and homophobia, it will hopefully burn itself out fairly quickly.

Maybe the Community Team is so quiet lately because they're training new mods for the up-coming onslaught? That would be nice. Unlikely, but nice.

NRVNQSR
09.21.2012 , 06:28 AM | #1564
Yup, despite the smoothest server merger I've ever seen (not a single lost character or item), we've got that going on almost every single planet's general chat right now. My own guildmaster threw a massive fit because he had to change the guild name from The Night Watch to The Knight Watch..........end of the world right? But I'm getting off topic ^^;

Tatile
09.21.2012 , 06:37 AM | #1565
To be fair, The Knight Watch sounds like a modern comedy troupe trying to do a Monty Python sketch without realising why it's funny :x

Really, the first thing I thought of was The Knights Who Say Ni.

People are so used to complaining about things in this game that they're looking for things to complain about - I'm sure most of the people whining over the name changes have completely forgotten the first bout of transfers when people were asking for characters of greater longevity to be given priority of naming (which is exactly what Bioware have done this time round).

But really, Bioware need to start being open and honest about SGRA's so that when the fabled day does come, people aren't suprised by: Suddenly, GAYS!

Uluain
09.21.2012 , 01:51 PM | #1566
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
The new LiveStream Q&A is coming out soon-ish, but it seems that everyone expects it to be a re-hash of the old one, so we are still going to have to lean on the Community Team to get some, if any, information.

They say they're reading this thread, but I don't think they're actually paying attention to what we're saying.
Tatile, I understand how it seems that way, but I really think it is more a matter of what the Comm Team are permitted to address. But they can (and do) speak about the best ways to get answers. Maybe I am reading way too much between the lines, but consider this today from Joveth, in the LiveStream 1.4 Q&A thread (emphasis added):

Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
This livestream Q&A's specific goal is to talk specifically about Game Update 1.4 and the new Free-to-Play option coming out later this Fall. Have any other questions? Ask them in the forums and if they are well-constructed questions, your chances of being answered by our developers will increase substantially. Keep in mind that there is always a limit as to what can be discussed, so we won't be able to answer every single question.
"If they are well-constructed questions" sounds to me to be an invitation to help them find things they can tell us if asked. We've made a fair guess that specifically SGR-related information is on lockdown, so it seems that what is advised is to ask questions phrased otherwise which can be responded to, from which we can glean information. I don't suggest we take this to the 1.4 LiveStream thread, because we know story content is not a 1.4 feature.

Piecing together what hints and info we havr, then, I think we are apt to learn more by asking about new story content or expanded companion stories, regarding content coming with Makeb.

Maybe I am reading too much into it, I can't say. But it probably couldn't hurt to approach the questions from additional directions.

Tatile
09.21.2012 , 02:03 PM | #1567
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Tatile, I understand how it seems that way, but I really think it is more a matter of what the Comm Team are permitted to address. But they can (and do) speak about the best ways to get answers.
I know, I'm being bitter again. The gag order is seeming more and more likely, as there is no way that a professional public relations team could be this clueless.

Also I'm no good at phrasing, so I vote for Uluain to continue to be the face of this thread.

Uluain
09.21.2012 , 02:33 PM | #1568
The face of this thread? They'll nuke it from orbit!

I am just a trouble-maker who can't shut up. But I will continue to do what I can, as politely as I can manage of course. I don't think we should totally abandon SGR-specific questions here, by the way. We do still want those answered and we do still need to keep specifically SGR-related concerns visible so that they can at least be considered, if not answered. I have five of these that seem to have recurred, some more recent than others. So pardon the repetition but I am going to lay them out again. If there is a biggie I have overlooked, speak up:

• Are we still on track to see same-gender romantic content in game this year?
  • Will any current companions be available for same-gender romance? If so, which?
  • If current companions are made avaialble, will the new romantic content be available to players who have already completed existing story content with their companions without needing to roll a new character?
  • Will same-gender content require and additional purchase, such as a legacy unlock, in-game credit expense or real-world currency through the Cartel shop?
  • Will we ever see same-gender content beyond companion characters as [Flirt] prompts with various world or class story mission NPCs, such as currently exist as opposite-gender options?

With the exception of the first, which is asking for re-confirmation of an answer we received in March, the rest of these questions have never been addressed. The second and third are probably the oldest outstanding questions in this thread. I keep feeling there are points I have overlooked, however, but that's the summary of what we don't know that I have come up with.

I'll see what I can think of to ask about Makeb and story updates and look for good places to ask them, as well.

Kioma
09.21.2012 , 02:49 PM | #1569
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Also I'm no good at phrasing, so I vote for Uluain to continue to be the face of this thread.
With respect to Uluain (because he has done far more for this thread and this subject than most people will ever know), I don't particularly want a single face for the thread. One person can say lots of things about how many people want this or that. One person could say, 'Oh, we have two hundred people clamouring for this,' or 'We have two thousand clamouring for that,' and it might only be three - or that one person.

Think back to David Gaider's comments to the notorious (and moronic) Straight Male Gamer when DA was being attacked for same-sex content. He outright said that one person doesn't speak for many, and a person's position on the matter is made substantially less compelling if they try to speak for many.

No, I think we should all be the faces of the thread. They need to see us posting, conversing and even arguing about this subject or it's really just one person saying 'I know a lot of people who...'.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Uluain
09.21.2012 , 03:18 PM | #1570
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
No, I think we should all be the faces of the thread. They need to see us posting, conversing and even arguing about this subject or it's really just one person saying 'I know a lot of people who...'.
Exactly. I know what I think of it. I know what my sister (who has played since open beta, but who dislikes forums) thinks of it because it is something we talk about (for the record, my sister is a straight, married mother of three who is deeply involved in her church, and hopes Mako will be available for SGR because she's sweet, and would make a lot of sense as a girlfriend of my sister's female LS bounty hunter just to show you cannot generalize about who is likely to support or oppose SGRs).

Yes, this is the issue that's my hobby-horse. I do post about other things, but no other issue as directly affects my enjoyment of the game. Obviously, others care too for their own reasons. And the more different people, with the more different reasons, the stronger the case for SGR becomes.

This thread has not had over half a million views from people wanting to hear me yap. There is a lot of interest out there. We need many voices, many faces. Not one.