Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AlixMV
09.20.2012 , 12:32 PM | #1541
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
This is my first Bioware game and I know very little about how the company itself is set up, I was unaware that there were different offices working (seemingly) wholly independent of one another and I apologise for the offense my ignorance of the subject has caused.
Ah, okay, apologies then.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I was referencing same-sex romances to the ME3 ending debacle and how Bioware later released the extended story in a DLC patch (my husband plays ME3 as well as other games) and that if this game (SWTOR) releases same-sex romances as part of content one has to pay extra for (via the cash shop) then that might herald a worrying among players that such a thing would carry on into other games created by the company (whether this worry if justified or not).
The possibility of s/s Romances in SWTOR being a 'pay extra' option is still there, but comparing it to the ME3 Extended Cut is probably not a good one. In the latter case, the ME3 EC was released as a DLC in response to the fan outrage about the original ending, but despite it being labeled a DLC, it was also offered for free--they didn't charge for it.

This is just me, but I'm going to guess if s/s content is offered in SWTOR at a later date, it will be part of a patch, so that future patches/updates going forward will be based on that pre-existing change.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Brixyl / Serateh ~ Ydris

Uluain
09.20.2012 , 01:07 PM | #1542
Quote: Originally Posted by MayaNite View Post
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...n-to-GaymerCon

Seems this would be an ideal venue for an announcement. Or at the very least, it's a sure sign that this kind of thing is on EA's agenda.
Oh, there is no question of that. EA and BioWare are both leaders in the field as far as inclusiveness goes, which is why the undiluted heterosexism of SWTOR as it stands is so disappointing. They know better. "Oops, sorry, we'll get to it" a year ago was an unfortunate call. Not talking about it since, except for a half-minute crammed in at the tail end of the Guild Summit last March, is just plain oblivious to customer expectations and concerns.

BioWare knows better. They need to do better than this. They need to do something, stat.

And while GaymerCon would be a good venue to unveil this, that doesn't happen until August 2013, and if we're waiting that long I won't be here to see it.

Tatile
09.20.2012 , 01:32 PM | #1543
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
And while GaymerCon would be a good venue to unveil this, that doesn't happen until August 2013, and if we're waiting that long I won't be here to see it.
Hell, if the Free2Play flops there might not be much a SWTOR left to make any announcements about. Now there's a cheery thought

We all know that Bioware should know better, but I'm wondering if the suits over there know they should know better.

Uluain
09.20.2012 , 03:27 PM | #1544
Coming back to the Gabe quote, while he seems uncertain of just exactly when, he does seems sure that SGRs are in fact in development, right now, close enough to done that he thinks it's in the not-too-distant future. That's been remarked on before, and I thought it bears repeating, but what interests me is that he mentions it, then immediately says "but I am about as far away from that end of things as one can get."

That's good and bad. Good, because even at a very different end of the development team, he knows it's happening. Bad, because this is the only guy we are hearing about this from, at all? Why are our updates so oblique, so indirect? If in fact this is coming, possibly with Makeb, why aren't we hearing about it already, from people who know what is going on?

Tatile
09.20.2012 , 03:45 PM | #1545
Writers locked up in a padded room where their expansive imaginations can't damage the sane people?

It is... worrying that the most information we've had (Gabe's 'maybe Makeb') on this subject comes from neither the Community Team or someone who actually works with the applicable content. What that says to me is that the people who should be talking to us about this subject aren't allowed to: your gag order, Uluain.

We keep going round and round this same idea and, conspiracy theory though it may be, it seems to be gaining more credence with every turn. There's a slim hope that we may get more information after 1.4 drops live and they start trying to create a stir for the next content patch, but I am really starting to doubt Bioware's commitment to anything in this game except end-game PvE/PvP content and crap they can pile high in the cash shop. The spectre of Free2Play is going to forever loom over us as a community until we have absolute assurance that it is not going to adversely affect the game with Pay2Win and siphoned development. I'd like previews, I'd like excitement from the writing crew, I'd like actual involvement from the Community Team. What I expect is silence, silence and more silence. What the Community Team needs to realise is that my hopes and my expectations on this are different things, but I am really starting to think they can't make that distinction, or aren't willing to.

Chaac
09.20.2012 , 03:56 PM | #1546
Quote: Originally Posted by AlixMV View Post
I think trying to say because they weren't included from the start into SWTOR (which has, if I've heard correctly, outside influences going on that are not Bioware/EA, but LucasArts) that they'd remove it from Dragon Age is...stretching it. Especially, as another commenter noted, that they just put them more fully into the Mass Effect franchise.
I really don't get where the idea that Lucas Arts are influencing this comes from. As has been stated before there is more than one precedent within the SW universe itself as well as both George Lucas' private donations and the Lucas Arts donations to support gay marriage. With all that in mind it seems highly unlikely that LA would be an outside influence causing any issue for the inclusion of SGRA's.
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

Uluain
09.20.2012 , 04:18 PM | #1547
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaac View Post
I really don't get where the idea that Lucas Arts are influencing this comes from. As has been stated before there is more than one precedent within the SW universe itself as well as both George Lucas' private donations and the Lucas Arts donations to support gay marriage. With all that in mind it seems highly unlikely that LA would be an outside influence causing any issue for the inclusion of SGRA's.
Indeed. Even if you are George Lucas, $50,000 isn't pocket change. LA is okay with it. EA is okay with it. BW is okay with it. The time & money ran out, and a decision was made which had extremely regrettable consequences. But what is icing this cake is that, although staunch in the face of pressure from social conservatives, BW still can't look us in the eye and talk about this. I think Joveth and Allison would be happy if they were allowed to send anything our way. We know developers like to generate enthusiasm for content, because they want to share their work.

I am guessing that the silence came out of a decision made awkwardly by a committee which couldn't decide how to handle this, made a call that isn't working, but is reluctant to admit a mistake or finding it much more difficult now to look at a solution. That's bad PR, guys. Telling us this demographic matters but not actually doing anything about it, and telling yourself the problem will solve itself when the content goes in is bad PR. Get in there, look at the problem, look at the stale stock answer that is all the Community Team has had to work with for a year now and earn your damn paycheck. Grrrr!

Tatile
09.20.2012 , 04:29 PM | #1548
a decision made awkwardly by a committee
Problem found. Committees, even if made up of people who know everything about public relations, are bound to make bad decisions or no decisions. It's a case of the system becoming independent of the people who work within in and then taking control: this is done this way because it is done this way and we can't change how it's done because this is how it's done.

Uluain
09.20.2012 , 04:57 PM | #1549
As a side note, this topic has now passed half a million views over its six incarnations. Not necessarily germane, but I've been keeping track. I blame early exposure to a vampire puppet on a children's public television program.

Palar
09.20.2012 , 05:17 PM | #1550
As a side note, this topic has now passed half a million views over its six incarnations. Not necessarily germane, but I've been keeping track. I blame early exposure to a vampire puppet on a children's public television program.
I always found Oscar a better role-model, for some reason. Probably because he had the sanest reactions to all the imaginary mammoths, OCD creatures of the night and aliens that showed up in that neighbourhood.

Before the dark times... before the Elmo.