Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Uluain
09.19.2012 , 03:20 PM | #1511
Quote: Originally Posted by MoogleNut View Post
At the very least it should shut up the 'EA won't allow it' crowd.
It almost seems that nothing does. It doesn't matter if we point out SGR content in other BioWare or EA titles, or if we point out George Lucas' personal $50,000 contribution to support marriage equality in California, or the ESRB saying flat out that same-gender affection is rated just like opposite-gender content.

People who oppose this are desperate to find a reason why it would be excluded that doesn't amount to "I don't like it so you can't have any." We can only try to be patient with debunking each of these as often as they arise and if nine months of this thread have given us nothing else, we at least have responses to these objections.

AlixMV
09.19.2012 , 04:27 PM | #1512
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I wonder if the writer responsible was as well, not to think that the player might have different ideas.
FWIW, the Smuggler class (from my understanding) was co-written by Hal Hood (I've heard primarily Chapter 1) and Jennifer Hepler (I've heard Chapters 2 and 3, where most of the Romance content would be).

I can't speak for Mr. Hood, but Ms. Hepler wrote for Dragon Age: Origins and was responsible for writing Anders in Dragon Age 2, so I'm guessing the concept of same sex romance options would be something she's familiar with and might think of.
~ Jedi Covenant ~ (formerly Kass City & Canderous Ordo)
Sollyni ~ Brixyl ~ Jynnifyr / Serateh ~ Ydris

Uluain
09.19.2012 , 04:37 PM | #1513
Well, if you play a male Smuggler and meet a female NPC in Chapter One, chances are you have a chance to [Flirt] with her. I don't think all of these or even most of these lead to the BSOCK. But the options are prevalent and this is true in class missions and in world missions alike.

I mean, you really get hammered with these opportunities, sometimes getting a prompt in the very next conversational fork after declining to [Flirt] with the NPC once already. In some cases, you have a choice between a [Flirt], losing affection with one companion, or losing affection with two companions.

It's just infuriating to me to have it decided for me that my smuggler will be a ladies' man. I don't mind him being a smart-*** - that's fine. But the relentless opposite-gender [Flirt]s are disheartening when there is no option anywhere to [Flirt] with guys.

I'm into Chapter 2 now, and taking a break from Smuggler because I was getting pissed off when I was trying to have fun.

Tatile
09.19.2012 , 04:45 PM | #1514
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
It's just infuriating to me to have it decided for me that my smuggler will be a ladies' man. I don't mind him being a smart-*** - that's fine. But the relentless opposite-gender [Flirt]s are disheartening when there is no option anywhere to [Flirt] with guys.

I'm into Chapter 2 now, and taking a break from Smuggler because I was getting pissed off when I was trying to have fun.
I was going to write something scathingly sarcastic about how Bioware's writers really want you to have the most enjoyable experience when going through their stories, but to be honest, I haven't the heart. It's a terrible situation to be in and Bioware's writer's/developers/managers/whatever should feel bad for having put players in it, but I imagine their too far deep in writing new story/bug fixes/vodka to notice and/or care.

Of course we'll never know. They likely won't even issue a minor apology for what's been done to this game. As asked earlier, what would Bioware put in the patch notes:
  • New conversation options have been added to some Companions and World NPCs.

Uluain
09.19.2012 , 05:42 PM | #1515
Again, without any word, the impression is certainly negative.

All of this could be, if not perfectly mended, at least greatly improved by better communication from BioWare. I will give the community team the benefit of the doubt that our concerns are noted and escalated in a suitable manner. But whatever it is that prevents a considered and considerate reply from those involved in this content is not helping, like at all.

We have been more than patient, and sometimes less than patient, over the more than twelve months since Stephen Reid's initial (and, as it happened, final) word on same gender content, over the more than nine months and nearly half a million views of this thread the only permissible SGR discussion, which has received one grudging and wholly unhelpful staff reply, and over the more than six months which have passed since the last (and, for that manner only, ever) word from the developers at the Guild Summit.

We are asked to believe that this content will come, that it will come this year, that this thread is read and our concerns escalated. We are asked to confine any discussion to this single thread. Considering what we have been offered in return, it seems like we are asked a great deal. So let us ask this, by way of quid pro quo:

• Are we still on track to see same-gender relationships in-game this year? If not, what is a reasonable time frame in which to expect this?
  • Will same-gender relationships be available with some current companions and, if so, with which?
  • How will this content be made available to players who may already have progressed companion stories?
  • Will there be an additional charge, in real currency or in-game credits, necessary to unlock this feature?
  • Will we see same-gender [Flirt] options in the game beyond the limited scope of companion character relationships?

Many of these questions have been asked but never addressed since the inception of this thread. Others have arisen in response to changes at BioWare Austin and in the direction of the game. Answers to any would be greatly appreciated. If discussion is to be kept in one thread, then Bioware should show us in no uncertain terms that they are in fact listening.

Tatile
09.19.2012 , 05:52 PM | #1516
It would be nice if the Community Team could engage in this discussion more readily (as a part of the general promise they made about more communication and better player relations) but I honestly find it highly doubtful that they ever will. All that has been shown to us thus far from Bioware are some begrudging, half-hearted comments which say nothing in particular and do not do anything to dissuade the ever mounting disillusionment that I ( and I assume others) am feeling.

I've said that before and I'm saying it again. I don't believe for one second that the Community Team are actually reading this thread. I certainly don't believe that anyone capable of making a decision actually care about our concerns.

Edit: Cruel, I know.

MIkeBear
09.19.2012 , 06:38 PM | #1517
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
It would be nice if the Community Team could engage in this discussion more readily (as a part of the general promise they made about more communication and better player relations) but I honestly find it highly doubtful that they ever will. All that has been shown to us thus far from Bioware are some begrudging, half-hearted comments which say nothing in particular and do not do anything to dissuade the ever mounting disillusionment that I ( and I assume others) am feeling.

I've said that before and I'm saying it again. I don't believe for one second that the Community Team are actually reading this thread. I certainly don't believe that anyone capable of making a decision actually care about our concerns.

Edit: Cruel, I know.
I think you are saying what everyone is thinking.

If it's coming, why not just gives us a "it's still coming, sit tight."

The silence only seems to indicate that they don't care, and it isn't coming.

I'm just PRAYING that Bioware does include same gender relationships in Dragon Age 3: Inquisition. After how amazingly same sex friendly ME3 was, I would have thought for sure DA3 would, but after the lack of it or communication about it now I'm worried.

Uluain
09.19.2012 , 06:58 PM | #1518
Are you kidding? If they drop the ball here, this is the last dime of my money BioWare, EA or LucasArts will ever see. Either you are inclusive and support diversity, or you aren't and you don't. It's not a difficult concept. It is 2012, not 1953. There is no excuse for any timidity or hesitation in regards to this content once they have taken a stand. They need to at least say or better still do something soon.

They have already lost players over this. Much more delay or second-class treatment and they will lose me (and Joveth, and Allison and community support people I have not met, I know you do not intend it that way, but honestly and truly, that is what it is and it is the result, not the intention, that counts). A shame, because I like SWTOR. I do. But I like myself better, and I can't justify paying money to be treated this way.

lovekira
09.19.2012 , 07:19 PM | #1519
Man, after a brief google search, I was really excited to discover that Bioware had been playing to implement SGCR into SWTOR... but then that excitement quickly led to disappointment after reading through a few pages of this thread. Mostly, I'm bummed that there haven't been any recent updates or news from Bioware letting us know that SGCR is still in the works. I really hope they haven't forgotten about it or scrapped it.

Palar
09.19.2012 , 07:31 PM | #1520
Quote: Originally Posted by MIkeBear View Post
I'm just PRAYING that Bioware does include same gender relationships in Dragon Age 3: Inquisition. After how amazingly same sex friendly ME3 was, I would have thought for sure DA3 would, but after the lack of it or communication about it now I'm worried.
I got the impression it's probably 'hero-sexual' again, but I've nothing to back that up.