Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Uluain
09.19.2012 , 09:14 AM | #1501
If we actually do get same-gender [Flirt] prompts beyond companion romance, I may in fact start another Smuggler just to see them, at least up to the spot I have gotten my main to so far (foot-dragging because the Presumption of Heterosexuality Factor is so terribly high. I wonder if the writer responsible was as well, not to think that the player might have different ideas).

rahadnak
09.19.2012 , 09:22 AM | #1502
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
I don't want to reroll either. Some people claim you can get to 50 in 1 week or less. Meh... can't imagine how,but whatever

I'm slowly leveling my trooper, but what I'm doing is holding off Elara's convos. If she becomes available, the flirts and option for the romance path should be there. Also, I'm skipping the planets' bonus series, so I'll have something to do after I hit 50. I don't want to just stream one conversation after the other with nothing in between.
Too bad those quests won't scale to your character, but well.... that's the best I can think of to be prepared and play the game at the same time.

EDIT:
Though it does suck entering to a cantina and seeing Elara's quest mark on her head, having to refrain myself
I stopped leveling my SI at 30, just before she met Ashara, but I got tired and eventually kept on leveling her, avoiding conversation with ashara. I'm 48 now with more than 8000 affection with ashara, so she must have a lot to tell me, poor girl!

Crawelc
09.19.2012 , 09:32 AM | #1503
Anyone think the hold up on SGRA might be due to the E.S.R.B. making them change the rateing from "T" to "M" if they put them in?
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest><Super Bads><Murica Force><The Cream><RSU>
All Imprimis All the time.
GM of 3 dead guilds and counting.

Eleuril
09.19.2012 , 09:34 AM | #1504
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
If we actually do get same-gender [Flirt] prompts beyond companion romance, I may in fact start another Smuggler just to see them, at least up to the spot I have gotten my main to so far (foot-dragging because the Presumption of Heterosexuality Factor is so terribly high. I wonder if the writer responsible was as well, not to think that the player might have different ideas).
I hope they do include [Flirt] prompts, because it's hardly equal treatment if they leave them out. I know it's a lot more work, but it's something they do need to include if they want to do the job properly. Perhaps this is why it's taking them so long to finish the SGR content *looks hopeful*.

Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
Anyone think the hold up on SGRA might be due to the E.S.R.B. making them change the rateing from "T" to "M" if they put them in?
I believe this has already been addressed, but I think it might have been a while ago so it's worth reposting. Someone here contacted the ESRB regarding same-sex content and the response was that it does not in itself get you a higher rating. I suspect the hold-up is more to do with them actually working on the content itself and dealing with the upheaval with the switch to F2P.

Uluain
09.19.2012 , 11:32 AM | #1505
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
Here is the ESRB reply to precisely that question. The upshot is no, same-gender content does not merit a higher rating than the opposite-gender content already in the game as T.

Quote: Originally Posted by ESRB
Thank you for contacting the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write.

The ESRB is a non-profit, self-regulatory body that assigns age and content ratings for video games and mobile apps so parents can make informed choices as to which are suitable for their children and family. As part of its self-regulatory role for the video game industry, the ESRB also enforces industry-adopted advertising guidelines and helps ensure responsible online privacy practices among companies participating in its Privacy Online program.

We understand that sexual themes have the potential to be of concern to consumers, which is why all such content must be disclosed during the rating process. In specific regard to your question, ESRBís ratings criteria do not distinguish between heterosexual and same-sex content when it comes to addressing sexuality in games.

We hope this information is helpful, and thank you again for writing.

Best regards,

Entertainment Software Rating Board

Silthir
09.19.2012 , 11:51 AM | #1506
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
I don't want to reroll either. Some people claim you can get to 50 in 1 week or less. Meh... can't imagine how,but whatever

I'm slowly leveling my trooper, but what I'm doing is holding off Elara's convos. If she becomes available, the flirts and option for the romance path should be there. Also, I'm skipping the planets' bonus series, so I'll have something to do after I hit 50. I don't want to just stream one conversation after the other with nothing in between.
Too bad those quests won't scale to your character, but well.... that's the best I can think of to be prepared and play the game at the same time.

EDIT:
Though it does suck entering to a cantina and seeing Elara's quest mark on her head, having to refrain myself
It's called they have no life and stay up all week til they hit 50.

Haha, sounds like a good idea. :P I need to work on my male trooper... >_>
The Danakar Legacy

MoogleNut
09.19.2012 , 02:17 PM | #1507
Soo, just came across this on my twitter feed:

http://blog.gaymercon.org/electronic-arts/

Perhaps someone should remind them of our little thread?
Y'know, some-one with better diplomatic words than me?

Uluain
09.19.2012 , 02:19 PM | #1508
Quote: Originally Posted by MoogleNut View Post
Soo, just came across this on my twitter feed:

Link

Perhaps someone should remind them of our little thread?
Y'know, some-one with better diplomatic words than me?
The link was broken in your post, it came through in the quote. Should be clickable now.

EDIT and fixed.

Well, I am not sure who we'd remind, since our go-to people in BioWare Austin already claim to be escalating our concerns. I did leave a comment on the page, however.

MoogleNut
09.19.2012 , 02:20 PM | #1509
Aha, Thanks - I'm rubbish at linkies ^.^

Edit - I left a message too. At the very least it should shut up the 'EA won't allow it' crowd.

Tatile
09.19.2012 , 03:16 PM | #1510
Ah- finally this is working.

On the subject of the Twitter thing, I tried it, sent a message to GaymerCon about asking EA about SGRA's in SWTOR (long shot). Not sure if I did it correctly, though, Twitter's a somewhat alien beast to me. I guess we'll see.