Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
09.12.2012 , 11:06 AM | #1361
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
That may mean that many will have to start over with a class they've already played, but it's still overwhelmingly the "best" option.
I think that the overwhelmingly 'best' option would be to have all of the non-event-based romantic conversations (specifically the romantic ones) reset when SGRA comes in (you can flirt with Kira, for example, after a certain class quest - but if you choose not to it doesn't stop you flirting with her in a non-class conversation later on, so if that second conversation and all ones related to it reset, pursuing the conversation and relationship becomes possible even if you're at level 50).

It would potentially reset all relationships with companions that might exist but running through half a dozen flirty conversations to reinstate your marriage with a companion is a lot, lot better than havign people have to play from 1 to 50 all over again.

Alternatively, and probably even better, would be if all existing romantic relationships were 'protected' from the reset. Smuggler Bruceologist is married to Risha - Bruceologist's relationship statuses don't reset because he has a current and active relationship. Jedi Knight Anabel has no relationships because she couldn't pursue Kira - her romantic conversations (all of them, including the ones with Doc) reset.

Just a thought.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
09.12.2012 , 11:23 AM | #1362
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
The "We can't guarantee that a character you play at launch would have romance options 'unlocked' for an existing companion" quote.
Okay, I have always just taken that to mean that they were not then sure if existing companions would ever have SGRs, but I can see where you're getting that. Damn ambivalence! This is just why clarification would be a nice thing. Like, as an anniversary present.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
09.12.2012 , 11:27 AM | #1363
If it's anything like the usual 'anniversaries' people have, Bioware will be scrambling around trying to find a box of chocolates that hasn't been fully eaten yet, while we stand in the doorway with our arms crossed looking angry and disappointed.

"Bioware, I made reservations."

"Yes, honey, I know, I just got so wrapped up..."

"You've been promising for months!"

"Aha! I found it!"

"That's a twix."

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
09.12.2012 , 11:32 AM | #1364
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
If it's anything like the usual 'anniversaries' people have, Bioware will be scrambling around trying to find a box of chocolates that hasn't been fully eaten yet, while we stand in the doorway with our arms crossed looking angry and disappointed.

"Bioware, I made reservations."

"Yes, honey, I know, I just got so wrapped up..."

"You've been promising for months!"

"Aha! I found it!"

"That's a twix."
Interesting thing is I don't know a single couple, personally, for whom this is the case. <shrugs> Point's made, though. As anniversaries go a substantial update would be a heck of a box of chocolates - that we almost certainly won't get.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

losdia's Avatar


losdia
09.12.2012 , 11:35 AM | #1365
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Okay, I have always just taken that to mean that they were not then sure if existing companions would ever have SGRs, but I can see where you're getting that. Damn ambivalence! This is just why clarification would be a nice thing. Like, as an anniversary present.
I always took it that that way too. I think in context that's probably the correct way to read it.

I really don't see BW doing a relationship reset. There is waaaaay too much chance of it generating ill will. I think we're all pretty much in agreement that nobody really minds SGR as long as they don't have to actually deal with it if they don't want to. A reset would make people deal with it in a way that a lot of players would probably find very annoying. It would be nice if they did something to allow existing characters to enjoy SGR, but I can't really think of a practical way for them to do it.

I'm not sure with stuff like this since I somewhat skirt the line between being a casual and a power gamer, but I don't think rerolling is exactly prohibitive of people enjoying SGR. It's, like, what an average of an hour a level to get through act 1? That means with a little dedication you can get an alt ready for SGR with a serious weekend's playing.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
09.12.2012 , 11:49 AM | #1366
Well, if that is what is required to experience it, I have always said that I would be content to re-roll. I've rerolled in the past because I became dissatisfied with my advanced class, with my name and, in at least one case, with my hair style (I know, I know ).

Still, I'd think that a [Flirt] node could be worked in to appear on SGR companion conversations even if you have already passed the point at which the OGR split is passed. Doubtless, those who have been actually working to implement this have a far better grasp of the technical challenged and doubtless these have figured into their decisions in no small manner.

Which is another reason having some sort of clarification in this regard from those creating the content would be greatly more interesting than speculation. That is a hint.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
09.12.2012 , 12:00 PM | #1367
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Interesting thing is I don't know a single couple, personally, for whom this is the case. <shrugs> Point's made, though. As anniversaries go a substantial update would be a heck of a box of chocolates - that we almost certainly won't get.
Like Bioware, I'm working with stereotypes.

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
09.12.2012 , 12:05 PM | #1368
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Interesting thing is I don't know a single couple, personally, for whom this is the case. <shrugs> Point's made, though. As anniversaries go a substantial update would be a heck of a box of chocolates - that we almost certainly won't get.
My folks always just roll the anniversary in alongside Christmas... which may be what BioWare means to do as well.

losdia's Avatar


losdia
09.12.2012 , 12:29 PM | #1369
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
My folks always just roll the anniversary in alongside Christmas... which may be what BioWare means to do as well.
If they keep to schedule for 1.5, it looks like SGR will have its very own traditional Thanksgiving Coming Out to make the whole family feel mildly awkward.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
09.12.2012 , 01:50 PM | #1370
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
A reset would make people deal with it in a way that a lot of players would probably find very annoying. It would be nice if they did something to allow existing characters to enjoy SGR, but I can't really think of a practical way for them to do it.
A reset could be optional.

I also know that some who have done the OGRA requested a reset ability as well, so it appeals to a wider audience.

It's possible that they will somehow add on a set of new conversations that can be triggered at any time. If you are already lvl 50 and finished with a character's current conversation path, this new set of talks can still be accessed (one after the other).

If you are starting a fresh lvl 1 character, this new set of conversations could be intermixed with the old ones.

Basically, my hope is that SGRA will come in the form of entirely new conversations vs. tweaking existing conversations.
Node guarder