Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Joushigun's Avatar


Joushigun
09.10.2012 , 08:57 AM | #1271
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Yes, this was Ziro the Hutt, who was voiced to sound like Truman Capote which caused a big fuss at the time about unfortunate gay stereotypes. My take on it is that if anyone in that situation were perpetrating unfortunate gay stereotypes it was Truman Capote.
There is a comic strip I love to read called Girls With Slingshots. The author has gotten a lot of flack over the fact that her gay character seems rather stereotypical. I talked to my aunt about it because she's got a lot more experience with the gay male part of the community (in general, I have social anxiety, so I don't get out as often as I should), and we talked about how some gay men play to the stereotype.

So, yeah, I can totally see Capote playing up the stereotype.

Someone commented about content coming faster after F2P. That wouldn't surprise me. There's a couple of reasons for that. The first is that F2P is, for this scale of playership, more profitable. There is also the enormous amount of time/money that goes into setting up the initial purchase content. What I saw in the early days of WoW was this kind of breakdown early on as they focused on fixing the broken content, getting the game stabilized, and sorting things out. There was a trickle of new content there for a long time.

Of course, the fact that after WoTLK they just started to regress and put out very little content again...well....

So, yeah, once F2P comes out, there should be a lot more resources they can devote to new content. Coding takes a long time, and writing new coding, finding where it breaks other coding, and such can take longer than most of us would like to know....

Heck, I remember having an issue with a new template for my site and having three people working on it and it taking all of them something like four days to get this simple little template set up because it kept having interaction problems with our database. GWS has been offline for a week as they rebuild their main server after a virus attack. Computer coding can be so much harder than we see

BTW...I figured that SGR was going to show up because of the Legacy System. Right now, my Bounty Hunter is married to my Agent...both of whom are women. I just wish I could have their sisters, a pair of Sith, marry each other.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
09.10.2012 , 10:17 AM | #1272
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I see your point, Kioma, and that may be part of it. But at the most, they can only hope to delay when the eventual (pardon my Bocce) sh*tstorm will occur. No matter what they implement, there will be a flood of rage on the forums. It is a curse endemic to the MMO community, and anyone who has been involved for any time would know to expect it.
I agree. My point, however, stands. Just because they might be expecting the storm doesn't mean they might not WANT to delay it. And, well, BW:A is already doing things that is causing an asteriskstorm, whether it's wise to do so or not.

Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
But I daresay that "Pay 2 Gay" would be wildly unpopular, with many who have looked forward to SGR being so bitterly demoralized that they would leave the game without so much as a "been good to know you."
Listing desired features? Okay, let's do this.

1) As far as I'm concerned Pay2Gay is just a toggle in another form. That's unsuitable, in my opinion. Given the ESRB rating everyone playing this game should be old enough and (theoretically) mature enough to be able to simply not pick the [Flirt]s they don't want.

In the cases of people who legitimately have difficulty shrugging it off when an NPC of a certain gender busts a move, well, hopefully having [Flirt] options they DO wish to pursue will make it a bit easier.

2) I don't like the idea of a sexual preference selection both due to it being another form of toggle and because, for example, Doc will hit on anything in a skirt and that's his character. If my JK is a lesbian (she's not, she's bi) that shouldn't change his initial reaction to her. I do think there should be an option to tell him, 'Sorry, I like girls' and have him simply shrug it off and back off respectfully, and thus sexual preferences should be taken into account, but I feel it should be a firmly in-game dialogue-based act.

The key point there is that I think an NPC should back off respectfully, or at least gracefully, unless it runs completely counter to the NPC's character to do so (in which case the dialogue option [Force Diss] may be appropriate). And if they simply can't back down peacefully, well, I don't see any problem with losing rep with that character. A couple of make-nice gifts covers the loss anyway and I don't mind having an NPC I actively don't like (which to me is a sign of good writing) lose affection with me.

My (Light Side) Sith Warrior is seriously down on Quinn rep, for example. He just doesn't like the guy much.

3) I believe that there should definitely be SGRAs made available for at least some currently existing characters. I don't think it's fair to make us wait until 50+ to enjoy something that others can enjoy from a much lower level. To that end I also think there should be a way for existing PCs to revisit conversations (or spark equivalent new conversations) with their companions of choice. This could be good not only for SGRA-capable characters but also cases where existing romances were missed due to an unfortunate choice on the player's behalf.

4) I would like to see at least a few companions that are unexpectedly non-heterosexual. Simple fact is that you can't tell a person's gender preferences purely from how they act. It's not safe to assume. Most people meeting my oldest brother would assume he's straight or maybe bi. He's really not. He's gay, and he's awesome.

5) I would love to see equal numbers of heterosexual and non-heterosexual companions. I frankly don't think it'll happen but I'm entirely willing to be delightfully surprised.

6) Having thought about a previous suggestion here, I'm not in favour of killing off companions with a gender that the player finds distasteful because the thought of killing a companion just because they're gay - or just because they're heterosexual, or just because they're male, or female, or a wookiee - is really distasteful to me. I don't believe that mentality ('Nadia? Oh, I killed her because she wouldn't put out,') should be fostered or encouraged.

7) All [Flirt] options need to be revisited, very clearly marked and then placed in a consistently obvious place on the dialogue wheel. Possibly also a different colour, both so people won't miss a [Flirt] option and so that they can't claim they were forced into anything. As has been stated here and in other threads that currently isn't the case; there are certain points at which a male Smuggler, for example, can end up in bed with an NPC by clicking lines that aren't marked [Flirt] (or, for that matter, [WooHoo]).

8) All romance chains, both OGRAs and SGRAs, should have the option of leading to marriage. It shouldn't be enforced but it should be an option.

9) I had other points but I forgot them. Ah well, this is a fair start.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
09.10.2012 , 10:30 AM | #1273
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
8) All romance chains, both OGRAs and SGRAs, should have the option of leading to marriage. It shouldn't be enforced but it should be an option.
Likewise there should be the option to end romances at any point and be able to start them at pretty much any point. I've read of extremely creepy bugs where female characters get forced into romance situations with male companions that they've only flirted with once or never at all. Breaking off a relationship should not require you to cheat or die or whatever.

On the note of killing off companions, I'd like to get rid of Skadge because I personally think he's a ****. And he's not the sort of **** I can appreciate because of writing, he's just a ****. He won't leave if I ask and I don't want him on my ship. Bioware should allow us to get rid of companions, maybe not by killing them.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
09.10.2012 , 10:37 AM | #1274
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
On the note of killing off companions, I'd like to get rid of Skadge because I personally think he's a ****. And he's not the sort of **** I can appreciate because of writing, he's just a ****. He won't leave if I ask and I don't want him on my ship. Bioware should allow us to get rid of companions, maybe not by killing them.
I'm willing to bet that when I encounter Skadge (of whom I've heard nothing positive) I'll stick him on my ship and ignore him as much as possible. That's what I did with Rusk on my JK - not because I didn't like him, just because he's a sort of non-entity to me. I didn't gel with the character at all.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
09.10.2012 , 10:46 AM | #1275
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I'm willing to bet that when I encounter Skadge (of whom I've heard nothing positive) I'll stick him on my ship and ignore him as much as possible. That's what I did with Rusk on my JK - not because I didn't like him, just because he's a sort of non-entity to me. I didn't gel with the character at all.
Quinn is redeemable because of his back story. Pierce is redeemable because he has a multifaceted personality, he just tries to only show one side. Ashara's an idiot, but she has the chance to expand out beyond the territory of her idiocy. DS Jaesa, likewise, can be made more interesting with an expanded storyline. Skadge has literally no redeeming qualities; he's like the dirt you pull from your shoe after going through a muddy, manure covered field. I would have been ecstatic to have left him on Belsavis as the Empire and Republic fought their futile claims over that hunk of rock. I see houks and I'm happy to kill them because I can imagine they're legions of Skadge.

Joushigun's Avatar


Joushigun
09.10.2012 , 11:08 AM | #1276
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Quinn is redeemable because of his back story. Pierce is redeemable because he has a multifaceted personality, he just tries to only show one side. Ashara's an idiot, but she has the chance to expand out beyond the territory of her idiocy. DS Jaesa, likewise, can be made more interesting with an expanded storyline. Skadge has literally no redeeming qualities; he's like the dirt you pull from your shoe after going through a muddy, manure covered field. I would have been ecstatic to have left him on Belsavis as the Empire and Republic fought their futile claims over that hunk of rock. I see houks and I'm happy to kill them because I can imagine they're legions of Skadge.
Spoiler


My BH, who is my first 50, ignores Skadge completely. Well, him and Gault. I don't like Gault much. It's why I love the idea of being able to exchange companions.

I have given some thought to what I proposed earlier....I was wondering about modifying it so that you can also 'hire' companions, but only if you replace a given companion and only after the point you would normally get one. Say, you stop at Vaiken or whatever the Republic equivalent is, and there's a booth somewhere where you can hire/replace a companion you don't like. Additionally, there would be available for purchase every different appearance that is available in the game for the companions except for those that are set aside for special purchases.

I'd also love it if it would also only give us the option to see the apperances available for just our class' companions.

On my Agent, I enjoy all of my companions....I just love listening to Scorpio, though. I get along with everyone else.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
09.10.2012 , 11:19 AM | #1277
I've never played BH past lvl 15, so I have no idea who this Skadge guy is. I just can't imagine he's that bad considering there are some other pretty ruthless/evil companions around (like DS Jaesa...though I guess even she at least respects my SW and possibly loves her in some way).

I don't really like the idea of swapping companions for others who are more desirable as I feel it would take a lot of effort and the overall quality of the companion interactions would suffer.
Node guarder

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
09.10.2012 , 11:23 AM | #1278
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post
I have given some thought to what I proposed earlier....I was wondering about modifying it so that you can also 'hire' companions, but only if you replace a given companion and only after the point you would normally get one. Say, you stop at Vaiken or whatever the Republic equivalent is, and there's a booth somewhere where you can hire/replace a companion you don't like. Additionally, there would be available for purchase every different appearance that is available in the game for the companions except for those that are set aside for special purchases.

I'd also love it if it would also only give us the option to see the apperances available for just our class' companions.
I have been thinking about it too. Ideally* what I'd like would be if they made twice as many companions and took the requirement to take them off entirely - so, say, you're on your Jedi Knight. You come across Mr Lord Scourge (whom, for the record, I think is awesome). Your JK doesn't like those pureblood animals, though, and won't work with a Sith for any amount of nerf-meat in the galaxy. So when he says, 'Hey I'm on your side (in a sense),' you could say, 'You know what? No thanks. I'd rather not be killed in my bed.' He goes, 'Fine, die, see if I care,' and leaves.

Then, very soon after, you run into Dandelion Smith, an Imperial Royal Guard who's decided she doesn't like this stinkin' Empire no more, because they're a pack of unpleasantness. She doesn't have the same info as Scourge but she has similar info, the right pieces to put into the puzzle to be able to solve it in a conversation or two, rather than have Scourge go, 'PLOT EXPOSITION!' all over your face. Dandelion is a melee tank, filling Scourge's role nicely, so no loss of companion role.

There are issues with this as some companions are actually required for class progress (with no desire to spit out spoilers I'll say that T7 is one of them - he's the first companion you get as a JK and he's needed for the very last JK quest). That would be fixed by saying that you CAN take anyone you like - but for Reasons you'll be at a notable (but not actually unresolvably crippling) disadvantage if you do.

* = I say 'ideally' because I don't think it'll ever happen due to financial reasons.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Joushigun's Avatar


Joushigun
09.10.2012 , 12:11 PM | #1279
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I have been thinking about it too. Ideally* what I'd like would be if they made twice as many companions and took the requirement to take them off entirely - so, say, you're on your Jedi Knight. You come across Mr Lord Scourge (whom, for the record, I think is awesome). Your JK doesn't like those pureblood animals, though, and won't work with a Sith for any amount of nerf-meat in the galaxy. So when he says, 'Hey I'm on your side (in a sense),' you could say, 'You know what? No thanks. I'd rather not be killed in my bed.' He goes, 'Fine, die, see if I care,' and leaves.

Then, very soon after, you run into Dandelion Smith, an Imperial Royal Guard who's decided she doesn't like this stinkin' Empire no more, because they're a pack of unpleasantness. She doesn't have the same info as Scourge but she has similar info, the right pieces to put into the puzzle to be able to solve it in a conversation or two, rather than have Scourge go, 'PLOT EXPOSITION!' all over your face. Dandelion is a melee tank, filling Scourge's role nicely, so no loss of companion role.

There are issues with this as some companions are actually required for class progress (with no desire to spit out spoilers I'll say that T7 is one of them - he's the first companion you get as a JK and he's needed for the very last JK quest). That would be fixed by saying that you CAN take anyone you like - but for Reasons you'll be at a notable (but not actually unresolvably crippling) disadvantage if you do.

* = I say 'ideally' because I don't think it'll ever happen due to financial reasons.
I love that idea too

Well, 1.4 has now hit the PTR. I may go ahead and actually hit the PTR a bit to check it all out.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
09.10.2012 , 12:45 PM | #1280
Anyone else notice how long this thread is now?
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.