Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JediMB
09.05.2012 , 05:17 PM | #1131
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Well, having done several of the romances, I think some of them are better than others.
I thought Torian Cadera was boring and felt forced.
Yeah, I thought Torian's romance had some cute (Star Warsy) lines and such towards its end, but overall it was rather dull.

I was really annoyed by how he'd ask for permission to go and meet his Mandalorian friends, only for him to reappear one fade-out-fade-in later. It would have at least been interesting if I could go with him, or theoretically I'd at least be forced to give something up for a while if he actually left the ship for a couple of hours.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Zandilar
09.06.2012 , 04:45 AM | #1132
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Kaliyo is so obviously bisexual. It's not even subtle.
I swear, this is going to drive me crazy. Everyone (well, maybe not everyone, but still...) said Jack from the ME series was bisexual. She even talks about having been involved in a threesome (a m/f/f one at that!), at one point in ME2. Yet Fem!Shepard is unable to engage in a romantic relationship with her - not even in ME3 where Bioware was happy to "re-envisage" the formerly straight-seeming Kaiden as bisexual - nor does Jack ever make mention of having an attraction to female crew mates or NPCs throughout the series. (By the way, I could be wrong on that last because as I typed that I had a vague memory of someone mentioning her talking about one of her students in ME3... Regardless, it's beside the point.)

I bring up Kaiden for a very good reason. In ME and ME2, Kaiden seemed straight, he only ever talked about a former relationship with a woman. But he was still bisexual in ME3. This is an example of how you can't just assume someone's sexuality just from the things they say or even the things they do. In order to be 100% sure of a person's sexuality, you have to ask them directly - and even then, not all of them give you a straight answer, not all of them will tell the truth, and not all of them will have that level of self-awareness.

So can we please stop stating that Kaliyo is bisexual as if it were the concrete truth? Or even that it is obvious? (I would go into this in far more detail, but as it is this post might well get deleted for being OT.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Uluain
09.06.2012 , 04:53 AM | #1133
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
So can we please stop stating that Kaliyo is bisexual as if it were the concrete truth? Or even that it is obvious? (I would go into this in far more detail, but as it is this post might well get deleted for being OT.)
I like, and concur with, Kioma's analysis - that all we can infer is that Kaliyo is manipulative and ambiguous. I like the character, but my agent knows better than to take anything she says or does at face value.

Zandilar
09.06.2012 , 06:22 AM | #1134
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I like, and concur with, Kioma's analysis - that all we can infer is that Kaliyo is manipulative and ambiguous. I like the character, but my agent knows better than to take anything she says or does at face value.
If that is the case, I really hope Kaliyo ends up straight, because the last thing we really need is another depraved bisexual.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Kioma
09.06.2012 , 10:56 AM | #1135
In ME3 I quite liked that Cortez being gay wasn't actually belaboured - it was just a fact. He was a bit miserable but that's something you'd expect from someone who's grieving the loss of their spouse.

I hope that's the sort of thing we can look forward to - characters that are approached maturely as having a particular orientation and the other characters around them not blinking so much as an eye. Business as usual, nothing shocking or, really, even particularly noteworthy here...
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile
09.06.2012 , 11:23 AM | #1136
From Ms. Berryman:

First off, I'd like to clarify that the Community team does read the SGRA thread, and we're aware of everything that gets posted in it as well as player concerns about the lack of new statements or information. We're always reading this thread and any other thread that the community is passionate about. The SGRA thread is no exception - it's our job to read all the community's concerns and escalate them, and we do this.

I'm sorry to say that I have no new information since the last time I responded. Nothing has changed regarding SGRA, and I have no new statements or information. We know that you and many other players are very interested in getting an update, a new statement, or new info, but I'm afraid I just don't have any right now. The community team will continue escalating your (and other players') concerns, and as soon as we have anything new to share with you, we'll let you know!

Edit: Emphasis mine.

JediMB
09.06.2012 , 11:47 AM | #1137
Of course "nothing has changed" can be seen as both good and bad:
- On the positive side, it could mean that their plans for story content and SGRA remain unchanged.
- On the negative side, it could mean that they're not getting anything done.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Chaac
09.06.2012 , 12:26 PM | #1138
Or it could be referencing that there is no new information rather than referencing the actual state of the content. As in "Nothing's changed in terms of what information I'm allowed to give you since you last asked," instead of "Nothing's changed in our plan for this content."

This is why I wish they would just post in here and confirm that it is still planned so I don't feel quite as pessimistic all the time.
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

Uluain
09.06.2012 , 01:09 PM | #1139
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
Of course "nothing has changed" can be seen as both good and bad:
- On the positive side, it could mean that their plans for story content and SGRA remain unchanged.
- On the negative side, it could mean that they're not getting anything done.
Looking at the sentence as a whole: "Nothing has changed regarding SGRA, and I have no new statements or information," the first interpretation is what I am seeing. I don't think the statement would be there at all, if the other were meant. Absent new information, the reference to old information is implicit.

How much of what we've been told of SGR plans remains valid, who can say? Time-frame estimates are notoriously fluid. It does however sound as though we can be assured that SGRs are, at the very least, still in the plans.

Silthir
09.06.2012 , 04:37 PM | #1140
Sorry this is a bit late and a bit off topic of the new information and I can't for the life of me find the original post >_<

I vaguely remember someone on here complaining about how SGRs aren't in Star Wars, then someone brought up that the Mandalorians had SGR in one of Karen Travis' books and that Juhani was lesibian. Then he went and said that of course we'd bring up EU to "validate" the use, even though EU doesn't really matter...

Uhm... can I point out that this is EU too? This isn't set at the time of either of the movies... so technically using EU as a valid sorce of documentation is kinda obvious. Besides, Lucas never retconned either of them and he is the Master. Next time someone says EU doesn't matter, remember that we're playing a game that is EU.