Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Hessen's Avatar


Hessen
09.04.2012 , 10:17 AM | #1101
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I wonder why people keep making comments like this when no one in the thread is stating that SGRA should be prioritized over anything else.

There's also 0 evidence that it is considering we are getting a new operation and probably new flashpoints very soon.

Regardless, a lot of the things you mentioned aren't important to a lot of people (I don't care about space battles and I can't say I know anyone who does), so I'm not sure what point you are making.
It's rather simple really. If it's implemented at all, it's taken up development time and company spend that could have gone on something else. Going by what the OP of this thread says, it's not a 5 minute job to implement, and there is a shortage of development resource that needs to be allocated sensibly.

And if you think implementing SGRA instead of improved Space Battles would see a greater number of satisfied customers. I would strongly disagree.
Twisted
EU - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
16m Raiding Guild - Recruiting

losdia's Avatar


losdia
09.04.2012 , 10:24 AM | #1102
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I wonder why people keep making comments like this when no one in the thread is stating that SGRA should be prioritized over anything else.

There's also 0 evidence that it is considering we are getting a new operation and probably new flashpoints very soon.

Regardless, a lot of the things you mentioned aren't important to a lot of people (I don't care about space battles and I can't say I know anyone who does), so I'm not sure what point you are making.
Just to say it, I do like space battles. I think it is a fun minigame and I consider a little more enjoyable than doing other current endgame content. I really wouldn't mind if they did a couple new high level battles.

That completely banal point aside, the thing I don't get is do these people think they're just starting on SGR or something? They've presumably been working on SGR for at least a year. Do they somehow think it is a better investment for BW to ditch that massive amount of work on partially developed new content? And what exactly do they think a cutscene team is going to do that would make PVP or Raids better? These guys aren't level designers, it is a whole different skill set involved in working on SGR vs anything anyone who complains about it ever wants...
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Hessen's Avatar


Hessen
09.04.2012 , 10:35 AM | #1103
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
They've presumably been working on SGR for at least a year. Do they somehow think it is a better investment for BW to ditch that massive amount of work on partially developed new content? And what exactly do they think a cutscene team is going to do that would make PVP or Raids better? These guys aren't level designers, it is a whole different skill set involved in working on SGR vs anything anyone who complains about it ever wants...
Just because they said a year ago that it was in their future plans, doesn't mean they've actually done any development work on it. If they were working on it, there's no reason at all not to tell people that they're working on it. (In the same way that they have with other future content that we know is coming)

Even assuming that the cutscene development team aren't multiskilled enough to do anything else (which is a big assumption), there are cutscenes in Flashpoints and Operations, and the new planet's worth of content that we're going to be getting. There's also the fact that the cutscene team alone aren't going to be solely required to implement SGRA, it's getting every requireed companion and character voice artists in, which isn't cheap and isn't quick to do.

SGRA is basically a companion interaction feature, and I would be very suprised if that wasn't very low down on the "to do" list, and frankly I would be annoyed if it was higher up.

I pointed out in a thread recently that there is no affection gain/loss, or voiced dialogue for companions in any of the content that's been released since launch. A damning indication of how low the importance of them is.
Twisted
EU - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
16m Raiding Guild - Recruiting

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
09.04.2012 , 11:31 AM | #1104
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I wonder why people keep making comments like this when no one in the thread is stating that SGRA should be prioritized over anything else.

There's also 0 evidence that it is considering we are getting a new operation and probably new flashpoints very soon.

.
It's probably because of Uluain said earlier, just a way of keep pummeling against it without violating the forum rules.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
It's rather simple really. If it's implemented at all, it's taken up development time and company spend that could have gone on something else. Going by what the OP of this thread says, it's not a 5 minute job to implement, and there is a shortage of development resource that needs to be allocated sensibly.

And if you think implementing SGRA instead of improved Space Battles would see a greater number of satisfied customers. I would strongly disagree.
Okay, so it's not about priorities like you said. For you is about this not being in the game at all, ever. Thanks, but I knew that already.

Hessen's Avatar


Hessen
09.04.2012 , 11:38 AM | #1105
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Okay, so it's not about priorities like you said. For you is about this not being in the game at all, ever. Thanks, but I knew that already.
Not really, as I've already posted in this thread that I do want SGRAs. And I do. But it shouldn't (and most likely isn't) be high on the priority list.

Once the game has a solid and sustainable playerbase and income, sure, absolutely look at it. But it's not a feature that's going to help achieve that.
Twisted
EU - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
16m Raiding Guild - Recruiting

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
09.04.2012 , 12:03 PM | #1106
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
It's rather simple really. If it's implemented at all, it's taken up development time and company spend that could have gone on something else. Going by what the OP of this thread says, it's not a 5 minute job to implement, and there is a shortage of development resource that needs to be allocated sensibly.
They do have different teams working on different content.

SGRA's is a story feature and it's sensible to believe that it would take away from the development of other story-line features and not the non-storyline stuff (like PVP, space missions).

Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
And if you think implementing SGRA instead of improved Space Battles would see a greater number of satisfied customers. I would strongly disagree.
Do you have anything to back up these claims?

Morghainla's Avatar


Morghainla
09.04.2012 , 01:40 PM | #1107
Hello,

just dropping by to say, I would love to have same-sex relationships in TOR. Just like in Dragon Age 1 + 2.
And I would love to have them repeatable ( I mean the love scenes ).
Remember the game Fable?? you could also have a same sex relationship. And you also could marry your guy/girl. And eventually you would come back to give her presents and also some funny time in bed. Of course you couldn't see the action, but here it very clearly what they were doing.
So what is the fuzz about it to make it?? I mean no one gives a damn thing if a girl makes out with a boy and otherwise. But same sex?? OH my god...

You know what Marilyn Monroe said?? "Every kind of sex is alright, as long as love is involved!!"

okay, back to topic...I don't think that it would be so hard for the producers to invent a new quest where you can court your girl/boy and start a relationship with them.
On the other hand, as others said on this topic, they producers are working hard on the f2p model, so it could take a while to get these quests.
So all we can do is sit and wait, and sometimes tell the people that we still are here and waiting for this content.
And hopefully it will come soon!! You all have my support on this matter.

oh yes, and I also want this option for my lvl 50 character!! so she will stay single until this option is open. I guess it wouldn't be so hard to make it open for every character who is in the game right now!!

here you go, dropping back to lurking modus!!

Palar's Avatar


Palar
09.04.2012 , 02:17 PM | #1108
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
I pointed out in a thread recently that there is no affection gain/loss, or voiced dialogue for companions in any of the content that's been released since launch. A damning indication of how low the importance of them is.
End-level flashpoints, Ops, and Warzones. Why would companions be part of those?

Hessen's Avatar


Hessen
09.04.2012 , 02:35 PM | #1109
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
End-level flashpoints, Ops, and Warzones. Why would companions be part of those?
Black Hole dailies, world events.
Twisted
EU - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
16m Raiding Guild - Recruiting

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
09.04.2012 , 03:04 PM | #1110
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
Not really, as I've already posted in this thread that I do want SGRAs. And I do. But it shouldn't (and most likely isn't) be high on the priority list.
And no one is saying it should be. That has never been the gist of this discussion. However, if the production status of same-gender romantic content has changed since the last word we had, six months ago, we would like to know that.

We would also like to know more about what SGRs will entail such as which companions, if indeed they are those we already know, and whether the content will be accessible after one has already played through existing story with those companions.

If the "this year" timetable no longer applies, do they have an idea of when they hope to be including it, etc.

But this thread is not now and never has been saying this content should be a higher priority than bug fixes or new group content, and that is a calumny that has been thrown at it repeatedly by opponents. It is frustrating to hear it from an alleged supporter.