Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

losdia
08.24.2012 , 07:50 PM | #991
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaac View Post
The actual original statement came in Corey Butler's interview with someone I can't remember. He was asked will SW:Tor feature same-sex romances and quickly replied with just a "No" before changing the subject. I've looked around for the video but its been taken down from everywhere.
I don't remember but I don't think that was the original statement, was it? that was from PAX east wasn't it? I swear I remember it being one of the old community support people that made the first statement.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Chaac
08.24.2012 , 07:57 PM | #992
Checking around the only statements I can find that Bioware released regarding Tor and Same-Sex romances before the Sept announcement were the first community manager Sean Dahlberg with his well known "As I have stated before, these are terms that do not exist in Star Wars. Thread closed.", which wasn't directly related to SGRA's but weighed in on the discussion of whether they would be present and Butler's interview which it turns out was with Bioware Pulse. In the actual interview which is nowhere to be found now, his only response was no and to change the subject. I can't quite remember if it was updated on that before the Sept announcement, the thread got recreated so fast back then it was hard to keep track of, but they're the only references I can find.

I do remember Butler's "No" being all we got at the time though as there were a lot of posts asking why he wouldn't explain more and too many victorious posts from people against the content.

Edit - Having said all that I just found this old article on Gay Gamer that mentions the bit you mentioned

Quote:
Around the 3:00 mark starts the following question posed by a user on Twitter, as asked by Deeka Macdonald, "Same-gender romance in/out, or not decided yet in Star Wars: The Old Republic?" The response is, "Same-gender romances are not in Star Wars: The Old Republic." Topic shifted.

Further, in the message boards, Senior Community Manager Allison Berryman explicates a bit more, stating:

We understand that this topic is one that's very important to many of our community members, and we appreciate everyone posting their feedback. At this time, there are no same gender romance options available in the game, as was mentioned in the interview linked earlier. We know you're interested to hear more on this subject, and we will provide more information as soon as we are able. Thank you for your patience and for helping keep this thread on-topic and appropriate for the forums.
I think the comment from Allison came a few days later. Here's a link to that article.
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

losdia
08.24.2012 , 08:05 PM | #993
Yeah, it took me a minute, but I remember the flat "no" now too. IIRC that was like question 25 in a long community Q&A session as part of an interview about the status of the game (and cuts they had to make to get it ready for launch), and it was particularly galling because he basically gave some variation on the same stock answer ("We wanted to but weran out of time") to every question BUT SGR.
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Kioma
08.24.2012 , 08:10 PM | #994
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
Yeah, it took me a minute, but I remember the flat "no" now too.
Rather glad I didn't see that, I'd probably have written SWTOR off as a waste of my time right from that point.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Chaac
08.24.2012 , 08:12 PM | #995
Yeah it wasn't a fun time to be in the SGRA threads. You couldn't move for people coming in and gloating and half the time when you went to reply to something the thread had been locked to be cleaned up, which usually took a couple of hours and when it was finished about 3 or 4 pages of posts would have been deleted. Was very relieving when Reid later announced they would be in (hint hint Bioware )
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

losdia
08.24.2012 , 08:22 PM | #996
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaac View Post
Yeah it wasn't a fun time to be in the SGRA threads. You couldn't move for people coming in and gloating and half the time when you went to reply to something the thread had been locked to be cleaned up, which usually took a couple of hours and when it was finished about 3 or 4 pages of posts would have been deleted. Was very relieving when Reid later announced they would be in (hint hint Bioware )
Some of the crazy optimism was pretty funny too. My favorite was the idea that some people who only joined around the open beta thought BW were just keeping SGR out of the boxed game as somehow that would avoid a ratings hike by the ESRB.
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Nagadeath
08.24.2012 , 08:24 PM | #997
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Rather glad I didn't see that, I'd probably have written SWTOR off as a waste of my time right from that point.
then you would have hated to be here for Sean Dahlberg (first community manager) and the infamous "no gays in Star Wars" that caused the first set of threads. if you think the explosion from the "no" was bad that one blew it out of the water.

Chaac
08.24.2012 , 08:31 PM | #998
It's amazing really to think how far we've come with the SGRA subject on the whole. When you add it all up right from the Sean Dahlberg statement and threads it's somewhere along the lines of 60ish threads, possibly more, each with 1000 posts in. That's more posts than some of the subforums themselves have. And through out all that our entire response from the community rep team has consisted of about four maybe five statements. We pretty cool

Kioma
08.24.2012 , 08:52 PM | #999
Quote: Originally Posted by Nagadeath View Post
then you would have hated to be here for Sean Dahlberg (first community manager) and the infamous "no gays in Star Wars" that caused the first set of threads. if you think the explosion from the "no" was bad that one blew it out of the water.
Yeah, I didn't see that either. From what I gather, though, it was a very poorly worded attempt to explain that while we have terms for non-heterosexual people, the Star Wars world doesn't because they're not as hung up on it as we are. So, boys could still bonk boys but there was no term 'gay' because it never occurred to anyone to call them anything different.

At least, that's what I understand from it.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Uluain
08.24.2012 , 08:54 PM | #1000
Which is a big part of the reason why I think that, while a further delay is possible or even likely, abandoning same-gender content altogether is not. I can see a much bigger stink coming over that than I can over its inclusion - and if they have any notion of the history of the issue, they should be able to as well.