Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which Class, for being useful in groups?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Which Class, for being useful in groups?

MacroPhotoFly
06.08.2012 , 06:32 PM | #1
I casually play LOTRO. It was my first MMO and I have a pure DPS character (lvl55) which was good, but I found was not very valuable for group instances (i.e. groups always needed a tank or healer or wizard, never a basic DPS). I also feel I've been left behind by LOTRO as everyone who wants to do instances there needs an end-game level character, so time to move on!
I really like playing in group so I would like to know which class I should be for being useful to join group instances. I've had a try as a Sith Inquisitor to lvl 9 which allowed me to know I will like SWTOR, but I'm about to move server to Daborra (as I'm in Asia) and I think i would prefer Republic this time (unless you persuade me that Dalborra is desperately in need of me on the dark side!)

So in summary, which class would be good for,
-Group play
-on Dalborra (Asia server)
-Not too squishy as this is only my second/third MMO character
-Republic
-A bit more interesting/challenging than a straight DPS ?

Thanks for the help

OmySpy
06.08.2012 , 06:46 PM | #2
Once you get to level 10 in SWTOR you are able to choose an Advanced Class (there are 2 for each class). Since there are 4 Base Classes for each faction, there are 8 different Advanced Classes. Every Advanced Class has the option to go full DPS, but most of them can also focus on healing or tanking as well. I will break them down for you!

Jedi Knight-
AC1: Sentinel (2 Lightsabers, DPS only)
AC2: Guardian (1 Lightsaber and a Shield or Generator, DPS or Tanking)

Jedi Consular-
AC1: Sage (1 Lightsaber, DPS or Healing)
AC2: Shadow (Dual-bladed lightsaber with stealth, DPS or Tank)

Smuggler-
AC1: Gunslinger (2 Blaster Pistols, DPS only)
AC2: Scoundrel (1 Pistol with stealth, DPS or Healing)

Trooper-
AC1: Vanguard (Blaster Rifle and a shield or generator, DPS or Tank)
AC2: Commando (Assault Cannon, DPS or Healing)

As you can see, you have a lot of options and all of them are good. Since a Flashpoint Group usually needs 1 Tank, 1 Healer, and 2 DPS, even running a DPS only Advanced Class you will still be needed in big group missions. The Advanced Classes for the Empire have the same layout as these, only different names. Check out the Holonet on this website if you want more information!
(The Corsair) RezBanthamaul

OmySpy
06.08.2012 , 06:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MacroPhotoFly View Post
-Group play
-on Dalborra (Asia server)
-Not too squishy as this is only my second/third MMO character
-Republic
-A bit more interesting/challenging than a straight DPS ?

Thanks for the help
As for your other questions, I can't say what is most lacking on your particular server, but I recommend you try one of the Advanced Classes that can tank (on Republic I prefer the Trooper Vanguard for this purpose). You will be very hardy, get a bunch of sweet weapons, and in groups you can focus on protecting your team and soaking up all the damage.

MacroPhotoFly
06.08.2012 , 06:59 PM | #4
Great advice - many thanks for both posts. The Vanguard does sound interesting, and I may go that way. Just flicking round a few websites of Guilds on Dalborra they seem to already be "full" on that character. I've decided I don't want to do Jedi Knight as its not me. Scoundrel, Sage, Shadow and Commando seem to be more "open" on the guild WS I've skimmed.
Any thoughts on these vs Vanguard?
Anyone on Dalborra with advice? (greatfully received)

OmySpy
06.08.2012 , 09:40 PM | #5
I haven't played Scoundrels, Sages, or Shadows very much, but if you're at all interested in being able to become invisible, Scoundrels and Shadows can be very fun. They have powerful attacks you can only use on an enemy's back, and they have a mix of close range and long range moves. Scoundrels can heal, while Shadows can choose to tank, as I said before. Sages are long range casters, who can either heal or use their force powers from far away. They will be less durable than other classes, while a Shadow (if you play tanky) will be the hardiest.

If you enjoy the storylines in this game, the Sage/Shadow has to track down an unknown enemy who is attacking people with his mind. The Scoundrel chases a thief across the galaxy and tries to find treasure, while making clever jokes along the way. Try whichever one sounds best to you, and you can always play both kinds of characters if you can't decide!

Ellvaan
06.09.2012 , 02:32 AM | #6
Greetings everyone!

We just want to thank OmySpy for taking the time to give such constructive advice to MacroPhotoFly's question! We always love to see the community help each other!

Have a great day!

ChifferElite
06.09.2012 , 02:32 AM | #7
I've enjoyed being a sentinel, I think alot of people like me who haven't played Mmo's alot have chosen it for there first character because of course you have two lightsabers!
Of course at times with any character you'll get annoyed that someone's being helpful in flashpoints by going invisible and stunning people however if you master your play with a sentinel it's a very enjoyable class. You'll also find if your the right level for a quest and your geared up how you should be you'll sail through!
I might be very biased I've invested everything in him and feel making another character will be to time consuming.

Good luck with your choice!

MacroPhotoFly
06.09.2012 , 03:52 AM | #8
Chiffer, I have to agree with you in many ways. I still love my 2-handed sword-swinging Champion from LOTRO. For my first MMO it taught me a lot, and I loved how you could get right into every fight. I'm sure the Sentinel gives that same pure thrill (i) especially when solo'ing or (ii) if you are in a steady group that wants to instance with you regularly. As a bit more of a social player who relies on a random people in the same area to instance with, I found it helped if you had an extra skill the group needed - in some ways I guess I am now happy to have slightly less raw fun in battle in exchange for being in more group battles (because I'm wanted) ?!?

Omy - TY again - that third post has got my mind thinking about what is more "me" from the storyline. If I went with the Vanguard, what is the summary character story type for them?

Aetou
06.09.2012 , 04:34 AM | #9
I'd definitely suggest taking one of the tank/dps ACs if you want to always be able to bring something the group needs. Vanguards, Shadows and Guardians are all very solid as Tanks and also very solid as DPS so you have a lot of flexibility when it comes to role. My server seems to have far too many healers and unfortunately the DPS trees of many of the healer ACs are currently a little bit lacking although Sage DPS is definitely still fine - especially for PVE.

MacroPhotoFly
06.09.2012 , 05:24 AM | #10
I'm now with you Aetou (thank you for the post) and taking OmySpys points too, I've narrowed down my choice to Vanguards or Shadows for becoming a Tank.
I just found this comparison. Anyone alse have views between the two?

Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
2) Vangaurd -
Dmg mitigation: Medium
Dps ability: Medium
Risk of Enrage timer: Medium
Mobility: Medium, the best gap closer against melee mobs
Threat problems: When grouped with melee DPS
Difficulty to play well: Easiest
Difficulty to gear well: Easiest
Best Healer to pair with: Seer, makes them almost invincible.
Character flaws: Often lose threat on big mobs trying to pull a weak away from a DPS player who is about to kill it.
SHINING MOMENT - when they pull an enemy to them, and the dps instantly burn it down.

3) Shadow -
Dmg mitigation: Worst
Dps ability: Best
Risk of Enrage timer: Lowest
Mobility: Highest
Threat problems: Few
Difficulty to play well: Medium
Difficulty to gear well: Hardest
Best Healer to pair with: Scoundrel, because the ambush possibilities could be endless.
Character flaws: They forget that no one else has a stealth, and then get mad when someone else pulls aggro.
SHINING MOMENT- when they kite a whole pack of melee mobs.