Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Idea for new Project animation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Idea for new Project animation

Roxax
06.07.2012 , 11:30 PM | #1
From some test server videos, we've seen what they did with the project animation. I don't like it, I'll be honest. Instead of flinging junk like a monkey flings poop, why don't we show off some Force-style bling? I mean Inquisitors shoot lightning, a raw manifestation of the force, why can't Consulars shoot small spikes of pure force energy? Travelling the same speed as Shock, I feel it would look pretty damn cool.

Discuss. Or don't, it's your choice

Mastershroom
06.08.2012 , 12:10 AM | #2
I would have preferred a saber throw.

Keypek
06.08.2012 , 09:23 AM | #3
I think throwing chunks of large debris is awesome just not sure why they can't just have you fling it directly from the ground though. Instead of having them pull it up and then fling it just have the JC sort of flip their wrist like a badd mofo and have a chunk of debris instantly fly straight up into someone's face from the ground at high velocity. That would be sweet imo.

Roxax
06.08.2012 , 10:46 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Keypek View Post
I think throwing chunks of large debris is awesome just not sure why they can't just have you fling it directly from the ground though. Instead of having them pull it up and then fling it just have the JC sort of flip their wrist like a badd mofo and have a chunk of debris instantly fly straight up into someone's face from the ground at high velocity. That would be sweet imo.
That could work too, I mean the JC in the story is supposed to be really strong in the force, it shouldn't take so much prep time to throw a small piece of debris. I like the idea though.

Dyvim
06.08.2012 , 01:30 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Roxax View Post
From some test server videos, we've seen what they did with the project animation. I don't like it, I'll be honest. Instead of flinging junk like a monkey flings poop, why don't we show off some Force-style bling? I mean Inquisitors shoot lightning, a raw manifestation of the force, why can't Consulars shoot small spikes of pure force energy? Travelling the same speed as Shock, I feel it would look pretty damn cool.

Discuss. Or don't, it's your choice
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=29235

50 page thread where alot of ideas were kicked around. Saber throw (since yoda is the only jedi saber throwing in the movies and he is a consular, if anyone was) was popular. So was Satele like effects, which are kind of in the game already, used by two different SITH companions with two different animations, both under the name of Force Burst.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

Dyvim
06.08.2012 , 01:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Keypek View Post
You say directly from the ground...how? what debris? Do you mean literally rip up a chunk of the current terrain graphic? That is interesting. The reason they cheat and have it "pulled" out of their @ss, errrrr, the ground, was to have it come from somewhere...then they cheated further by putting a random table with it, which is ignorant of the terrain. So you get rocks out of starships, droid parts everywhere, stone cauldrons out of city buildings, etc. It is pretty laughable. Then they cheat even further by having this random roll on EACH client. So when you see a rock flying at your target, the target, on his client, see another random piece of crap, like that stone tri-legged cauldron coming at him.

It is just a bad implementation of a bad concept, that doesnt have much to do with jedi. In six movies jedi dont throw one rock or have one pebblestorm. And they use choke about as much as they initiate throwing anything. So it is really just wrong. Would go much better on the sith side, would break up their lightning (although i dont mind the lightning) but it would STILL need MORE SOPHISTICATED animation work behind it. This is just crap.

Roxax
06.08.2012 , 02:13 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post

50 page thread where alot of ideas were kicked around. Saber throw (since yoda is the only jedi saber throwing in the movies and he is a consular, if anyone was) was popular. So was Satele like effects, which are kind of in the game already, used by two different SITH companions with two different animations, both under the name of Force Burst.
I like the idea for the changes with throw, that sounds like it would look pretty nice.

SvnStrSlm
06.08.2012 , 03:44 PM | #8
The problem with saber throw, although a cool idea, is that it could have to be coded and animated two different ways for sages and shadows.

I personaly would like to see the projectile rip straight from the ground in front of me and bee line with no delay to the target.

Alternate idea would be a force blast at the target with maybe some downward particle effect on the target and the ground crumble at their feet.

My biggest dissapointment with the new animation is how its seems like it has no power.

Dyvim
06.08.2012 , 04:11 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SvnStrSlm View Post
The problem with saber throw, although a cool idea, is that it could have to be coded and animated two different ways for sages and shadows.

I personaly would like to see the projectile rip straight from the ground in front of me and bee line with no delay to the target.

Alternate idea would be a force blast at the target with maybe some downward particle effect on the target and the ground crumble at their feet.

My biggest dissapointment with the new animation is how its seems like it has no power.
How would it have to be coded two different ways? Are you talking about the double saber? The only additional coding would be an addendum for upheaval, which would be something like a quick boomerang back to the target for the double hit. Otherwise I doubt throwing one single bld saber would be much different for the engine to handle than throwing one dbl bladed saber...besides the clairvoyant strike ani kind of looks like a saber throw anyway, if I remember correctly.

Tissuemonster
06.09.2012 , 06:15 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post

Yoda was also considered one of the orders greatest blademasters. His preferd form was Atrayu. Also, if oyu go by the RPG book, Yoda was a Jedi/Jedi Knight/Jedi Master. On top of all that, saber throw already exists in the game, in severl different ways, all belonging to the Jedi Knight