Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How hard IS HM Lost Island?

TrooperSev
06.07.2012 , 03:16 AM | #11
The fp can be done with less than full columi geared group. My group me(sin tank 3/5 columi) powertech (dps 2/5 columi) sniper (4/5 columi) sorc (4/5 columi) managed to complete it. All it takes is the ability to learn the fights and a group that functions well together. We now go through it for the weekly bh coms in around 30 minutes. This fp is challenging and that is the point. The gear that it gives is supposed to be worth it because you're not supposed to have all of your columi pieces to do it.

Trust me, the first time we downed the last boss was extremely gratifying since we knew it was taking all of us everything we had to beat it.
Dark Helmet - "So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

oredith
06.07.2012 , 09:06 AM | #12
HM LI is considerably harder than any of the previous HM FP.

there's multiple parts to the question you asked. the easier one to answer is gear.

the instance has 2 straight up gear check that you can't outskill.

Project Sav-Rak (2nd real boss) is a very very simple / straightforward fight, you dps, you clump, you click, you dps, you clump, you click - there's absolutely no skill involved. but, it's tuned to be pretty tight on dps and healing. if you're not geared for it, you will not pass.

same thing for the final boss. The final phase is a straight up dps burn. there's no out-skilling it. the poison dot stacks can not be dispelled, so your dps has to be able to beat the soft enrage, or you will not win.

the skill check happens on the first boss, and interestingly, the fight most people complain about. You can be in tionese gear and win this fight, if people execute correctly. The adds do little to no dmg, the boss doesn't hit that hard IF you interrupt all his incinerates. if your group / tank can move the boss around outside of the electric dome, there's no damage. the fire from below does next to no damage - basically, if you can execute the fight correctly, there's very little to worry about - but the curve is pretty steep. if you don't interrupt the incinerate, it's a very quick wipe. This is probably why people talk about ranged dps being preferred, because they don't get hit by the incinerate and have better dps uptime due to not having to move as much. However, I've only ever done the instance with melee dps, so i can tell you that it's 100% doable, and pretty easy too.

so, in summary, the instance is challenging in the same way an operation is challenging. you certainly won't be face rolling through it, unless you outgear it, and even then, you may fail the skill check on the first boss.

best advice is to simply go and try it. if you can get past the first boss, but get stuck on the 2nd boss, at least you know you've got the skills necessary.
(╯□)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Larry_Dallas
06.07.2012 , 11:24 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Barrgil View Post
Oh boy, I can tell this flashpoint won't be done by any of our guildies for a while. I took what you guys said and checked out some videos.

It looks ridiculous. The 'trash' mobs actually have mechanics to them and the only thing I need from this flashpoint is the Columi Mainhand at the end. I hope it's worth the reward. Unless of course, some Black Hole comms can get me the mainhand before we actually set foot on Lost Island.

I'm almost (and I mean VERY CLOSE) to full Columi/Rakata (Rakata Relic, Implants and Earpiece) and I hope I will be ready for this mini-raid. I have heard of some guys on my server saying it was as tough as it sounds and some said it was impossible. I wanted a challenge, so I'm really looking forward to this flashpoint.
While the trash is more substantial than in, idk, battle of ilum, it's not what will cause problems (as long as you don't use aoe in the short section before the droid boss). The trash is less dangerous than the trash in Kaon.

If you and your HM group can't benefit from the drops, that's actually the ideal gear level to attempt it (as illogical as that sounds).

AshlaBoga
06.07.2012 , 03:07 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Larry_Dallas View Post
While the trash is more substantial than in, idk, battle of ilum, it's not what will cause problems (as long as you don't use aoe in the short section before the droid boss). The trash is less dangerous than the trash in Kaon.

If you and your HM group can't benefit from the drops, that's actually the ideal gear level to attempt it (as illogical as that sounds).
The only drops that would benefit an appropriately geared group in HM LI should come from the final boss - Dr. Lorrik. Since he drops a Columi Mainhand and a Rakata Chestpiece he's a good loot source (with no lockout).

I've been looking at the forums and the least geared group to do it (AND post proof) had 2/5 Columi per member. I was pretty impressed by this (I had 5/5). Doing this without nearly full Columi is an arduous task.
FEAR REMAINS ETERNAL, Jung Ma server
Fear Remains Eternal
Lord of Corruption

Larzi
06.07.2012 , 03:20 PM | #15
Its like trying to kill knock out mike tyson with a pillow, its like trying to count straws of hay in a wind storm, its like trying to knock down a building with a teddy bear, its like trying to drink an olympic sized pool of beer in one gulp, its like trying to catch lighting with your bear hands......

It is very hard, not for the weak. Be prepared to die a bunch for the sake of challenging yourself.

I have attempt this fp many many many times, died around 100 times. Each session (several hours) we managed to get further and further, working out strats for last boss atm.

Its good fun, worth the challenge for BH comms and rakata chest, specially if u dont raid.
Pub: 55 vanguard tank/ 55 mando/ 55 guard/55 scoundrel

Imp :55 jug tank/ 55 pt/55 sin/ 47 sniper

oredith
06.07.2012 , 03:24 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Larzi View Post
Its like trying to kill knock out mike tyson with a pillow, its like trying to count straws of hay in a wind storm, its like trying to knock down a building with a teddy bear, its like trying to drink an olympic sized pool of beer in one gulp, its like trying to catch lighting with your bear hands......

It is very hard, not for the weak. Be prepared to die a bunch for the sake of challenging yourself.

I have attempt this fp many many many times, died around 100 times. Each session (several hours) we managed to get further and further, working out strats for last boss atm.

Its good fun, worth the challenge for BH comms and rakata chest, specially if u dont raid.
haha.. i wouldn't say it was THAT hard, though it definitely IS challenging.

don't get discouraged just because people say it's hard. at least go and experience it for yourself. like i posted earlier, the first (real) boss fight is a test of skill. you can definitely beat it with less-than-stellar gear, if you have great execution.. and execution comes with practice.
(╯□)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Aetou
06.07.2012 , 03:50 PM | #17
The others have covered most of the points so I won't repeat them I'll just add: I wouldn't want to pug this, or do it without voice. Honestly, without being able to give verbal prompts it will be a complete pain unless everyone is 100% on top of every mechanic.

I've cleared it twice now. It's definitely easier with 2x Ranged but doable with any mix of dps just so long as you can still interrupt (so if you have melee dps then one shadow for the extended interrupt range is a huge boon.)

Valtrim
06.07.2012 , 03:56 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Barrgil View Post
It looks ridiculous. The 'trash' mobs actually have mechanics to them and the only thing I need from this flashpoint is the Columi Mainhand at the end. I hope it's worth the reward. Unless of course, some Black Hole comms can get me the mainhand before we actually set foot on Lost Island.
This flashpoint was made in the tradition of older MMOs that didn't care whether or not most people ever completed content: if you wanted the stuff from the instance, you figured it out. If not, oh well. The only problem, as you mention, is that the reward isn't *quite* on par with the time investment required; if one or two more bosses had Rakata tokens, I'd call it good.

This game desperately needs more instances like this, IMO. It gives people something to work on.

bbare
06.11.2012 , 12:09 AM | #19
Its harder than Nightmare KP/EV and easier than HM Denova. Its probably the second hardest instance in the game. This is mainly due to the first boss which has some mechanics with little room for error. The second boss is pretty much faceroll and the final boss isn't too tough as well. If you have at least columi gear, it is doable. I'd recommend bringing at least one ranged dps and a tank who has tanked it before. As long as the tank moves about the room quickly (I usually leave after I interrupt an incinerate) and plans his path about the room in advance so the healer knows where to go, it is pretty easy. The first fight is pretty much depended upon the experience of the tank and ability for the healer and dps to avoid the blue shields of death, and the tank or dps interrupting all of the incinerates as quickly as possible.

KBSIP
06.11.2012 , 12:19 AM | #20
it'll test your mechanics awareness more than the entirety of tier 1 operations for the most part, except for maybe the fabricator droid on KP for a team that's slow on the tower of hanoi.

I ran this with rakata geared people, our biggest issue was 1) the tank was very slow on reacting to lightning ball drops and 2) the healer kept getting into bad positions where he'd drop a lightning ball that cut off our kiting path.