Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How hard IS HM Lost Island?

Barrgil
06.06.2012 , 08:31 PM | #1
I've heard many things going on everywhere, in game and in these forums that Lost Island is a very challenging and insane Flashpoint.

I've even heard that it'd be better off calling this Flashpoint a 4-main Operation. I want to try it, but what would I need to gear up for in order to run it? Currently, I'm a Deception Assassin with mostly Columi/Rakata/BM gear and I've beaten HM Battle of Ilum, HM False Emperor, those high end flashpoints that was considered pretty tough.

Just wanted to know if Lost Island really is what everyone says it is...
KÓra - Deception Assassin
Bargil - Hybrid Sorcerer
DARKHOUND - Hyperspace Cannon | Dara Mactire - The Crucible Pits

Aurojiin
06.06.2012 , 08:59 PM | #2
I don't think it's that hard. Difficultly, however, is very much a relative thing, and very dependent (in a game like this) upon your fellow group members at that.

Aside from the mechanics (which are, on the whole, less forgiving than the tier 1 flashpoints) there's somewhat of a gear-check going on, and the second boss will push your healer.

I will say this: if HM Battle for Ilum/Directive 7/etc don't feel like an absolute faceroll, then LI will likely seem very challenging.

NoxiousAlby
06.06.2012 , 09:46 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Barrgil View Post
I've heard many things going on everywhere, in game and in these forums that Lost Island is a very challenging and insane Flashpoint.

I've even heard that it'd be better off calling this Flashpoint a 4-main Operation. I want to try it, but what would I need to gear up for in order to run it? Currently, I'm a Deception Assassin with mostly Columi/Rakata/BM gear and I've beaten HM Battle of Ilum, HM False Emperor, those high end flashpoints that was considered pretty tough.

My 4 man group of friends utilise vent but no longer raid as we did a few years ago, so we are all familiar with raid boss mechanics. Having said that we are all Columi geared from the other flashpoints which are relatively easy in comparison. In 3.5 hours we managed to get to Project Sav-Rak but failed to down him.

If you enjoy a challenge, if you are looking for a flashpoint that will take days or weeks (depending on your time) to complete you will enjoy it. I have heard of very experienced raiders in full Rakatta taking upto 4 hrs and numerous wipes to complete this flashpoint for the first time.

As other have said this flashpoint is most certainly a gear check, and although as we have proven it can be done in Columi gear dont expect to do it in 1 night. There will be many wipes and lots of improvement & different strategies applied to each fight before being successfull.

In a nutshell HM Lost island is a mini raid where the effort does not equal the reward.

Karasuko
06.06.2012 , 09:50 PM | #4
How hard is hard? is it really rough? is it unbeatable? differing definitions vary.Took me 2.5 hours to clear the first time, we have it down to 35 mins now.

That being said, HM LI is alot of fun and can be a challenge for those unprepared for it. I recently healed it on my full columi smuggler and found it a challenging instance but not a hard one.Yes the Sav -Rak was a bugger to heal but after a few attempts was dead.

Like any new content it will take abit of getting used too and it doesn't suit the ADHD crowd that demands their epics and bail at the first sign of trouble.

Take it slow, take it patiently and if it takes 2-3 hours to clear or to get as far as you can don't worry about it.
If you don't clear it don't be embarassed, It could be a gear issue it could be a learning curve issue.These obstacles are easily circumvented with PRACTISE.

RiseOfDeath
06.06.2012 , 11:35 PM | #5
The first time I did it, it was me (an assassin tank in a mix of rakata/black hole, modded to suit my ideal stats), a dps maruader, dps merc and heal operative. The others were all rakata+ too.

We one-shot the thing, and I hadn't even done it before... That wasn't normal though, as I found out when I tried it with a different group.

--

The next time, we had me, a different heal sorc that hadn't done it before (with columi), a dps jugg with rakata/black hole and a dps sorc with tionese gear (lol),

The droid boss took a couple of tries since they didn't know the mechanics, but we ended up getting to the last boss after a few hours. We had to let the tionese-geared sorc go at the end, though, since we didn't have enough dps for the doctor. Got a columi/rakata sorc instead for dps, and we destroyed him. :P

---

In terms of difficulty, yeah, I would say it's like a 4 man operation. The fight's mechanics aren't very forgiving, but if you read up on them and are prepared, and have some people with gear (I'd say everyone have at least half columi and half rakata), you won't have an issue.
Fanatic - 8 Imperial 50s
Torva Nex

Larry_Dallas
06.07.2012 , 12:03 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Barrgil View Post

The other flashpoints really have nothing in common with LI in terms of difficulty. If Lost Island is a 10, Kaon and directive 7 would be 4s and the rest would be 2s or 1s. That you can clear FE without a wipe doesn't necessarily mean you have a shot even at boss #1.

To complete this flashpoint, you need to learn the mechanics of the bosses (which isn't going to be as insubstantial a thing to do as it is with the others--the first and last boss are quite complicated to get right for the first time, after that, you'll know them and, as long as you bring that specific group next time, should be able to clear with few to no wipes after the first time).

But more substantial is that it's not only complicated, but the third boss (who's not particularly hard, mechanic-wise, but does require you counter two specific things) is a stone-cold gear check. If your DPS and tank are not full columi (and I mean FULL columi, not mostly columi) or better, you're going to flunk his enrage timer no matter how many relics and adrenals you pop (possible a piece or two of battlemaster or war hero might fly). You either output columi-level damage or you don't.

I would advise making sure everyone in the FP is full columi before even attempting, since even if you're a few pieces per person shy, sort out the complicated mechanics of boss #1 and burn through his soft enrage (which is doable), you will wipe on Sav-rak if your DPS is too low. Maybe even have everyone in the group having cleared HM Eternity Vault at least once or twice before trying.

Rangarobbo
06.07.2012 , 12:04 AM | #7
The difficulty of Lost Island hardmode really comes down to the group makeup and how experienced you are and whether or not you are using a voice chat program such as vent/mumble. I run this predominantly with the same 3 guildies using mumble and can clear it in 45 minutes, however our earlier runs did take us alot longer. My take on the instance is as follows:

Average time investment: 1-2 hours deepening on group experience and whether or not you are going for bonus boss (extra trash and time taken to kill him etc.)
Average gear req: I would recommend all group members have on average columi or better gear. Obviously, the better your groups gear the easier the fights will be.
Group makeup: In a PuG group the first boss can be pretty punishing if using 2 melee or 2 ranged however most of the other bosses don't really favour a specific dps set up.

Sentinel droid: really tests your groups coordination and communication. Can be very movement and healer intensive. I prefer to do this with 1 ranged to deal with adds and try and drop lightning fields away from the rest of the group and 1 melee dps to interrupt incinerate which leaves tank to interrupt his other dmg attacks.

Sav-rak: healer check as the dmg during his 'air' phase can get pretty nuts. Make sure to have a medpack or a defensive cd handy.

Lorrick: The tank dodging the grenades reduces stress on early in the early phases of the fight. The first 2 phases are all about positioning and the proper execution of mechanics. The final phase is just a dps race before the dmg overwhelms your group.

TLR May seem difficult at first but if suitably geared practice, and coordination can remove most of the difficulty. Well worth doing if you can for chance at rakata chest piece and the Black Hole comms from the rakghoul weekly.

Here is a guide a few friends and I put together for our guildies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24QFIUp0c0A
<An Ewok Ate My Baby> - Dalborra Pve
Symmetro - 50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger // Forceseen - 25 Jedi Sentinel
http://www.youtube.com/user/SymmetreeGaming

AshlaBoga
06.07.2012 , 02:00 AM | #8
I've done Nightmare KP and Nightmare Pilgrim (Pilgrim was harder than KP) and HM LI.

I'd say that HM LI is actually harder than Story EV and as hard as HM EV.

So in terms of difficulty HM LI = 4 man version of HM EV.

Keep in mind, that's merely my opinion, not a fact.

Gear requirements? My group did it with 5/5 Columi, Rakata Implants and the tank and healer (I was healer) had Champion mainhands (both dps had columi mainhands and offhands).

If you do it with melee dps instead of ranged dps the difficulty jumps up.

I still haven't beaten it in a melee dps group, and I did it in a 3/5 Rakata meele dps group. Basically LR-5 Droid (I think it's LR-5) eats melee dps for breakast, lunch and dinner. I'd strongly recommend 1 operative healer, 2 snipers and 1 Juggernaut or Powertech tank.

Hope this helps.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Barrgil
06.07.2012 , 02:04 AM | #9
Oh boy, I can tell this flashpoint won't be done by any of our guildies for a while. I took what you guys said and checked out some videos.

It looks ridiculous. The 'trash' mobs actually have mechanics to them and the only thing I need from this flashpoint is the Columi Mainhand at the end. I hope it's worth the reward. Unless of course, some Black Hole comms can get me the mainhand before we actually set foot on Lost Island.

I'm almost (and I mean VERY CLOSE) to full Columi/Rakata (Rakata Relic, Implants and Earpiece) and I hope I will be ready for this mini-raid. I have heard of some guys on my server saying it was as tough as it sounds and some said it was impossible. I wanted a challenge, so I'm really looking forward to this flashpoint.
KÓra - Deception Assassin
Bargil - Hybrid Sorcerer
DARKHOUND - Hyperspace Cannon | Dara Mactire - The Crucible Pits

ImmortalAlien
06.07.2012 , 03:04 AM | #10
It's mechanic heavy. Know the mechanics and coordinate with the team well and Lost Island will be moderately challenging at worst.

Go in ignorant of the mechanics and not coordinating the team and you will be lucky to get past the first real boss.