Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Great Light-Side Exaggeration

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Great Light-Side Exaggeration

Eanelinea
06.06.2012 , 09:45 PM | #21
My Jedi Knight is the daughter of a Chiss agent (who's light side), but she also has influences from her aunts and cousins. She is NOT the robe-wearing monk type. Heck, she's not even wearing robes, but an outfit Havoc squad would wear (it's not bulky armor, but looks like a republic version of the imperial agent officer armor). It's all white.

She's mostly LS because ALL my girls are LS. But believe me, she's chosen dark and neutral choices too. She refuses to be a stick in the mud. She wanted to go to the Sith Academy but her parents said 'hell no'. So she went Jedi Order.

My Consular is the daughter of a bounty hunter. She has moments when it's all about the monies. But as with my JK she's mostly light side.

Just RP your character how YOU see them acting. Whether they be completely light, completely dark, neutral, or they make decisions on what's going on at the time. Don't let the movies/books/cartoons make you think that Jedi HAVE to be skipping down the meadow picking flowers LS.

TeyyOxto
06.07.2012 , 09:26 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
Jedi Consular story offers no such option however. Either you're a goody-goody all the time or you're a random schizophrenic who decides to heal everyone but kill a few people for no reason.
^^^ This.

Dark Jedi Knight fits. I play mine as the guy that does things that have to be done, but the goodie goodie Jedi don't have the stomach for. Most of the dark side choices that you have fit very nicely with that.

I tried to play a dark consular. That character has been retired to the mental health ward. The choices they give you are horrible to the point I actually started feeling sorry for the guy that wrote that story line. And if you do, by chance, see something that looks like what a sane person would say on the wheel, get ready because that's nowhere near what's about to come out of his mouth.

Stenrik
06.07.2012 , 10:59 AM | #23
If you wanna play Republic, don't feel like you have to restrict yourself to force-user. Go smuggler for some great and humorous dialogue (easy to be realistically self-serving with this class, but I think it's also realistic as LS and DS). Also, don't forget the trooper. Trooper is... interesting. It's kinda like the Jedi since you're expected to do good out of the gate, but I'm having good fun being a dark side vanguard. You just need to think of a backstory as to how you got to be head of Havoc Squad despite of (or BECAUSE of) being corrupt. Always gettin yelled at by my superiors and giving them lip, but they can't dishonorably discharge me cuz I'm too awesome at what I do.

Ratatooey
06.07.2012 , 12:08 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by codyr View Post
i think partly, the writers, indeed almost our entire generation, are bored of the traditional good side. in almost every hero-villain story, the villain is the one making things happen, and the hero is a hero because he preserves the status quo. at no point does a hero of this type challenge the status quo. truth, justice and the american way sounds incredibly corny to us now, which is why the new superman movie tossed it out like it was a joke. so i suspect, when approaching the story of this great war between the empire and the republic, where the jedi have but one goal, and that is to make sure everything stays exactly the way it is, the writers simply got bored and filled the storylines with a mr. rogers style morality, even to the point of being completely hypocritical, where your "light-side" choices result in you inflicting much more harm and murder on the galaxy than saying, "f- this, you guys are corrupt a-holes and i'll have no part in this."

it doesn't have to be this way, though, and there are examples of the heroes in a story being the ones who challenge the status quo, even if everyone is happy with the way things are. Pleasantville is a good example of that. i think that after seeing what the republic was working on through chapter 1 of the jedi story, and even what you eventually see on Belsavis on all republic classes, the real light side choice should have been to work to dissolve the Senate, because it no longer serves the interests of the Republic. but that doesn't happen. in fact, nothing even remotely similar to that happens, and your only exposure to the politics of the Senate is through the trooper storyline where it's just so much Tom Clancy BS about the military being perfect and democracy just gets in their way that i just throw my hands up and assume the entire Republic is a joke.
In the original SW trilogy, Luke is not the hero, Vader is, for a couple reasons. All the plot in the movies revolved around Vader actions and choices, and the good guys are only responding to it. In the end, Vader killed the Emperor and was redeemed. We are just trained in this country to see the good guy as being the hero, and so we see it even when its not there.

For SWTOR, couple things going on. First, its hard to make an interesting "good" character because drama revolves around conflict, and a goody two shoes just won't be in conflict as often. So it's harder to give them depth and deep story lines.

You can do it, Miyazawa makes great stories and often does not have a villain. Just more work

Second, they spent way more time, energy, and thought on the empire side than the republic. Give you an example, Black Talon/Esseles. Run both, and run each one taking all the DS option, then the LS options. In Esseles, the story is pretty much the same regardless. In Black Talon, the story is profoundly different.

If you play an Imperial Agent, you can end up with 4 or 5 endings and final titles depending on who you kill and who you let live along the way, and the choices they present later on. On the republic, you pretty much end up in the same place reagardless what choices you make.

They simply spent more time on the Empire. Even the space station is more detailed. My guess is the Empire was done first and they had more time on it.

Guardians of the Light, a Republic Guild, now recruiting: http://www.swtor.com/guilds/11751/guardians-light

Maaruin
06.07.2012 , 01:18 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by TeyyOxto View Post
I tried to play a dark consular. That character has been retired to the mental health ward. The choices they give you are horrible to the point I actually started feeling sorry for the guy that wrote that story line. And if you do, by chance, see something that looks like what a sane person would say on the wheel, get ready because that's nowhere near what's about to come out of his mouth.
If you don't hit every dark side choice, a grey-DS consular is possible.

Spoiler act I:

Spoiler
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall