Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Great Light-Side Exaggeration

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Great Light-Side Exaggeration

theonetruebleed
06.06.2012 , 01:08 PM | #1
So, Having being playing a few days and having fun in the Sith camp, I was eager to have a look around the Republic's side of the Galactic Fence.

Rolling a new character was a breeze; Jedi Knight, Human, Male, Obi-Wan McGregor Hairdo, Random Name - GO!

Cue SW Crawl and intro movie, so far, so generic.

And that's where the bubble burst. Being in the Jedi starter area is like running around a Christian morality village; "Oh no, people are in danger, but never fear, Captain Cutesy is here!" off we go to deal with these miscreant ne'er-do-wells, diamond morality shield firmly in hand.

Every dialogue option gives you three options; the overtly goody two shoes choice, the not-so neutral i'm a big 'ol hero of the republic choice, and, as if that wasn't cringe-worthy enough, you have the naughty option, which sounds more like Louie Spence having a diva tantrum than actual arrogance/sarcasm/sith in the making. I feel as though Bioware should be handing out mandatory puke bags to anyone who rolls a Jedi the dialogue is that twee.

I'm not sure what happened to the Star Wars franchise - when did the Jedi contingent become an introduction to ethics for five year olds?

Is it just me, did I just get old and jaded, or have all the Jedis been washing their robes in Daz?

Darka
06.06.2012 , 01:15 PM | #2
The options are nicknamed Four Greta ways to say Yes, sometime there is little character in the Republic story
THE DEFENDER PROGRAM - Gaming Community Est 2006
Information
Owner of the Hat'o'Awesome

codyr
06.06.2012 , 01:20 PM | #3
i think partly, the writers, indeed almost our entire generation, are bored of the traditional good side. in almost every hero-villain story, the villain is the one making things happen, and the hero is a hero because he preserves the status quo. at no point does a hero of this type challenge the status quo. truth, justice and the american way sounds incredibly corny to us now, which is why the new superman movie tossed it out like it was a joke. so i suspect, when approaching the story of this great war between the empire and the republic, where the jedi have but one goal, and that is to make sure everything stays exactly the way it is, the writers simply got bored and filled the storylines with a mr. rogers style morality, even to the point of being completely hypocritical, where your "light-side" choices result in you inflicting much more harm and murder on the galaxy than saying, "f- this, you guys are corrupt a-holes and i'll have no part in this."

it doesn't have to be this way, though, and there are examples of the heroes in a story being the ones who challenge the status quo, even if everyone is happy with the way things are. Pleasantville is a good example of that. i think that after seeing what the republic was working on through chapter 1 of the jedi story, and even what you eventually see on Belsavis on all republic classes, the real light side choice should have been to work to dissolve the Senate, because it no longer serves the interests of the Republic. but that doesn't happen. in fact, nothing even remotely similar to that happens, and your only exposure to the politics of the Senate is through the trooper storyline where it's just so much Tom Clancy BS about the military being perfect and democracy just gets in their way that i just throw my hands up and assume the entire Republic is a joke.

Pengatron
06.06.2012 , 01:20 PM | #4
Most conversation options offer three choices...

A "nice" one.
A more neutral, self serving one.
A "nasty" one.
You do not stop playing games because you get old,
you get old because you stop playing games.

Jenzali
06.06.2012 , 01:21 PM | #5
There are actually dialogue/story decent options to play a Dark Jedi at the beginning at least, though I had to Esc out of conversations to get all the best responses for it. You can even

Spoiler

although I haven't played much farther than that. I fraps all my class cutscenes so I Esc many times to ensure that everything my character says is in-character, which is why all the dialogue options are explored to find the best one. Another good example is

Spoiler

Jedi Consular story offers no such option however. Either you're a goody-goody all the time or you're a random schizophrenic who decides to heal everyone but kill a few people for no reason. For the same reason, I found the Sith Inquisitor storyline so painfully boring compared to the Sith Warrior, because the SW choices were all convincing whether light, neutral, or dark in thanks to the good writing and excellent voice acting. SI seemed like a comic book villain in comparison and the light side choices horribly out of character, yet the dark side choices so totally senseless. However the SI did give me a lot of laughs.

If you're referring to the Republic-side quests in general, the Empire-side ones are equally as bad in their senseless killing. DURR DURR KILL LIGHTNING TORTURE SLAY CHOKE! I mean, how good does the story need to be for a "go here, kill X and collect X" side-quest? Although at least both light, dark, and neutral options are compelling enough to be convincing.

The whole "being tired of being a hero" is probably more about being jaded with nearly all fiction in general, especially as people tend to want to explore actions they would never do in real life. Anti-heroes and non-insane villains are pretty much always going to be more compelling unless you're a villain in real life. I know a few "IRL villains" who can't get enough of playing goody-two-shoes within video games.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

JediElf
06.06.2012 , 01:38 PM | #6
I really don't get the (KTOR era) Jedi morality. Really the Sith might be a bit crazy but, a light side Sith almost makes more sense., they have a far better grasp on the realities of life in the galaxy, and emotions.

Take for example Satele Shan. She had a son, and completely rejected, (from what I can tell), any attachment she had to him. ...because apparently, attachment to anyone, leads to 'the dark side'.

Wouldn't rejecting a bond, with your own flesh and blood, also constitute being on 'the dark side'?

I just can't get my head, around the concept, of complete emotionless detachment, from all living things....how is that 'light'? How is that 'good'? o_O
Beware the Jawa Sith!
SGRA FAQ! Check it out!

codyr
06.06.2012 , 01:51 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JediElf View Post
I really don't get the (KTOR era) Jedi morality. Really the Sith might be a bit crazy but, a light side Sith almost makes more sense., they have a far better grasp on the realities of life in the galaxy, and emotions.

Take for example Satele Shan. She had a son, and completely rejected, (from what I can tell), any attachment she had to him. ...because apparently, attachment to anyone, leads to 'the dark side'.

Wouldn't rejecting a bond, with your own flesh and blood, also constitute being on 'the dark side'?

I just can't get my head, around the concept, of complete emotionless detachment, from all living things....how is that 'light'? How is that 'good'? o_O
since the jedi are based partly on buddhists, emotion detachment is an integral part of their teachings. but where buddhists believe detachment is preferable because the entire world is a falsehood, and only through detachment can you find peace, the jedi don't actually have any beliefs about how the world works, other than "the force did it." so, while a buddhist monk is detached so that he may clear his mind of the distractions of our "fake" reality, a jedi is detached because he's an a-hole. even George Lucas knows subconsciously that emotional detachment isn't heroic, and so in basically every battle in every star wars movie, it's the assumed "good" guy that's emotionally unstable and flying off the handle, while the "bad" guy is cool and collected as he goes about his murderous and evil business. it would be hammy and stupid for darth maul to savor qui gon's death like a cannibal or something, just as it would be difficult to connect with obi wan's pain if he had no reaction to it and simply stood there while qui gon died. just the same, vader would not be very imposing if he was angry or cackling all the time, but we wouldn't give a rip about luke if we didn't think he was scared or sad or angry.

psi_overtake
06.06.2012 , 01:52 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JediElf View Post

It's a very Zen mentality

I've played a light-side Imperial Agent up to 50, and I've found it to fit really well with the character's nature. I'm also playing a light-side Bounty Hunter, and while I desperately want to go dark-side (the person I'm leveling with is light-side and would prefer if I went light-side as well), light-side hasn't been so bad. My dark-side Sith Inquisitor does feel natural. I don't think I can imagine a light-side Sith Inquisitor.

But to your point, sometimes the light-side seems exaggerated, and sometimes I find myself going "how is THAT light-side?" or "why wouldn't this option be consider light-side?" or "that sounds more neutral than good." My guess is they did all the dialogues and went back and changed some options, which might be why some of them are exaggerated in order to balance out the light/dark/neutral choices.
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

JediElf
06.06.2012 , 02:10 PM | #9
Ya know...thinking more on this, perhaps it's like...like a dichotomy of sorts.

The good, and the bad, overlap into a morality of grey, but are mirrors of each other and not always opposites.

Now I have to go roll a Jedi.

*wanders off to the Login screen*

Beware the Jawa Sith!
SGRA FAQ! Check it out!

theonetruebleed
06.06.2012 , 02:15 PM | #10
Remember, sick bag at the ready; you're off to the galactic bible belt