Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Opinions on the new Project animation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Opinions on the new Project animation?

Superstaroo
06.07.2012 , 07:49 AM | #21
This is absolutely pathetic.

DragonianJedi
06.07.2012 , 11:48 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
Honestly, I posted it here because Shadow's won't notice it as much because they fight close up anyway. It'll still look like they're pulling the item out of the ground relatively close to them.
As a shadow tank, I can say that I notice it quite often. >_< Sure it isn't as noticeable as it is on my sage alt, but project is one of the biggest abilities for my kinetic tank, providing most of our damage and threat. (Outside of AoE situations where slow time works much better.)

Doesn't really matter though. I found the thread just the same and my two cents allow me to say that this animation on the PTS seems like a quick fix to a long standing issue. I am not a fan of this animation either, but I do admit it solves the core problem of balance that they wished to address.

Or at least I think it does.

For the first time in my MMO experience, I intend to download the PTS and see this change first hand to give some feedback. Watching it play out in a video is one thing. Using the ability yourself is another.
(██████████████{███}1020{███}(██████████████)
The Wildfire Legacy (Vornskyr-US)

Dyvim
06.07.2012 , 01:46 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
Honestly, I posted it here because Shadow's won't notice it as much because they fight close up anyway. It'll still look like they're pulling the item out of the ground relatively close to them.
I mentioned that idea in the same post you quoted. Point is, it is a consular ability, not solely a sage one, and the mods were closing threads in the consular forum and pointing to the sage forum, then they figured out that was stupid after a few pm's, and just moved your thread to the consular forum...

Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
This forum is not the right place for this, as it is not just a sage ability. Hopefully the mod will figure that out...
...So it is kind of like what it was for a shadow that was on top of his target when he fired project before, anyway. I actually think I agree that it would have been better to keep the old junk chunking animation with ridiculous instant damage. It looked better than the 1.3 version of junk chunking. But both sux.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

Eldrizzad
06.07.2012 , 01:55 PM | #24
Yeah, I mean...I will give it a fair shake I guess but it comes down to fun.
I play a Jedi Shadow Tank because that is the class I have chosen.
If the nerfs make it impossible for me to tank in PvE or place such a strain on our healers that it is not fun for them to heal, we'll probably just move on to something else.
We're a small, tight knit group of friends that have been gaming together for years and we were already on the fence about sticking it out.
Homogenization is not better than interesting and unique decisions.
We have the game we deserve I guess.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another...

Dyvim
06.07.2012 , 02:00 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Elvandar View Post
In the movies both jedi and sith throw both rocks and random junk. There is nothing magical about it. I agree the junk side of it is silly just from the fact it comes from the floor, but other then that the only silly part is that it isn't a trait unique to the jedi.

We are complaining about the quality of the new animation, not the concept. I'm sure everyone would be happy if they'd kept the old animation but made it play quicker and appear by your enemy. For the new one the rocks/junk just appear so fast its hard to notice they dont actually come up from the floor, they appear above it and there is no mark or any effect on the ground. Simply put, it feels like a cheap last minute rush job just so they cant be criticised for not addressing the delay yet again.
Really? Name one jedi that throws a rock in the 6 movies at a target... Name a jedi, other than Anakin doing a vader preview, that initiates throwing ANYTHING at a target in 6 movies (anakin does two throws in aotc, yoda throws BACK one car in rots)...Anakin has serious problems and isnt the jedi posterboy for anything. He is a whiny, selfish, fearful, murdering SOB with one foot in the darkside. Regardless, we see numerous jedi in 6 movies and none of them throw a rock, period. Well Luke throws one WITH HIS HAND. So yea, we agree that the ground conjuring is silly. But it is not just that it isnt Unique to jedi...It is PREVALENT with Sith...

Contrast this with the 4 sith we see in the movies. Vader, Dooku, Palpatine, and Maul. ALL OF THEM throw things at targets. ALL OF THEM. In fact they throw junk more than they use ANY other ranged attack. MORE than lightning, more than choke. In fact jedi use CHOKE as much as they initiate junk throws in the movies, IF YOU COUNT ANAKIN. (Luke chokes in rotj). So please if you are going to assert things about the ultimate canon in the movies, look at the numbers. No rocks for jedi. Sith throw things about 18+ times. Jedi 3, if you count anakin and you count yoda throwing something BACK. SO clearly, by the numbers, if someone is junk chunking, they are going to be a sith.

But in this game, junk chunking and pebblestorms (both labeled as debris in their tooltips) identify jedi. THey are the hallmark, signature skills. That is my problem. In six movies not one jedi throws a rock. And it is now their core skill....REALLY? That is just stupid. When I see junk being chunked I think sith, period. As would anyone that watched the movies and paid attention.

Oh and btw, there is a mark on the ground, the same ridiculous fake hole in 1.3. My issue is simple, I would like to see jedi skills moved away from junk and rocks and pebbles. Even if you are going to keep them, then the animations for using them in this game sux. They are magically conjured out of the ground. And they are conjured in ways that are ridiculous...rocks out of starship decks. And they cheat further, since each client rolls separately on the random junk table. So when you think you are hitting with one piece of junk, your opponent on a different client sees another piece of junk from the random table.

I predicted that they would just speed the junk up, or make it do damage before it hit anything, or cheat further with it somehow - and they did, now it is magically conjured closer to the target. Bottom line, as someone else posted, if they wanted to go instant, which the mirror paradigm requires them to do to sync with shock, they should have gotten rid of the junk chunking, period. If they wanted to give the class a more powerful, jedi feel, they should get away from the comic relief junk, rocks, and pebbles, period.

Heezdedjim
06.07.2012 , 04:27 PM | #26
For what it's worth, there was a Q&A where they claimed that on the server side the damage is and always has been applied instantly as soon as the attack was fired, and that the animation was only a client side event.

That said, what they really should have done with this is get away from the whole excavation aspect of the animation, and have whatever item is thrown just appear from over your shoulder, out of thin air if need be, but probably it would be from behind and outside your field of view if you're zoomed in close. It would be a little weird maybe, but better than what they had, or what it is now. That would eliminate the whole dig-up and accelerate phase of the animation, and the item could just magically appear flying at full speed instantly.

Or just give up on the whole force septic tank / force pebbles thing altogether; just give us a one-handed version of that cool two-handed ball lightning throwing like Satele does in the trailer and be done with it. I think she's supposed to be doing Force Wave based on the knockback, but they could take that general idea and make a quick, cool looking ball lightning replacement for project that would be consular-ish and not have all the liabilities of pretending to throw random crap at people.

Dyvim
06.07.2012 , 04:42 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
For what it's worth, there was a Q&A where they claimed that on the server side the damage is and always has been applied instantly as soon as the attack was fired, and that the animation was only a client side event...
If that was true then that server side damage would have interrupted caps at nodes, and it never did, as it was delayed. SO I consider that BS.

Or just give up on the whole force septic tank / force pebbles thing altogether; just give us a one-handed version of that cool two-handed ball lightning throwing like Satele does in the trailer and be done with it. I think she's supposed to be doing Force Wave based on the knockback, but they could take that general idea and make a quick, cool looking ball lightning replacement for project that would be consular-ish and not have all the liabilities of pretending to throw random crap at people.
The bite is that this is already IN the game...Ashara (inq companion) has a skill called force burst...

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8...rstvsshock.jpg

Its instant, and one handed, and a perfect analog to shock. You stick out your hand and they are impacted with a force effect. No projectile, so disturbance remains different.

Then there is ANOTHER sith companion, Raina Temple with ANOTHER force burst that has yet ANOTHER animation that would be a fine replacement for junk. It is really frustrating that the sith side has the best animations, the best stories, and EVEN THEIR COMPANIONS have better animations than my pub toons.

Odjii
06.07.2012 , 07:44 PM | #28
why not just a simple force push, why do we even have to grab objects from the ground?

WoruulKeei
06.07.2012 , 09:39 PM | #29
For what it's worth, there was a Q&A where they claimed that on the server side the damage is and always has been applied instantly as soon as the attack was fired, and that the animation was only a client side event..
Wrong.
"Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer): Whenever you use an "instant" ability, the server receives and process that action without any animation dependency (read: instantly), but the impact VFX and flytext are synced to the attack animation on your client. This is done to make the game look good and give attacks a sense of weight and impact without affecting timing or balance.

There are some notable exceptions to this that are real delays and real discrepancies that we're aware of and are addressing. In the case of Shock and Project, there is a real delay (on the server) before Project deals its damage, and that's something we're fixing in 1.3. The other real delays that we're aware of are in Smash and Force Sweep, but we don't yet have a fix for those."
http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-...e-update-1.3#h
The true master of death is the one no one knows of.

JMarchini
06.07.2012 , 09:47 PM | #30
Does it really matter whether or not they throw rocks and other junk in the movies? I mean, it's a video game....

As many have stated in prior posts, a lot of us are fans of the original animation, we would just not like to have the apparent travel time. To me, it still never gets old watching the rock, droid, vase, etc coming out of the ground and flying to the enemy and watching the object stun and/or interrupt an attack.