Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Opinions on the new Project animation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular
Opinions on the new Project animation?

Vesten_Kor-taan
07.06.2012 , 09:50 AM | #181
Quote: Originally Posted by Majspuffen View Post
Putting my opinion in here.

The new animation is awful. I remember when I first played a consular and used project for the first time. It felt Mighty! You use the force and shove a huge chunk of debris or rock at your opponent. It felt awesome, it looked awesome and it sounded awesome. Despite the disadvantage of having a flight time, unlike shock, project is the reason I prefer Jedi Consulars over Sith Inquisitors.

This new animation, however, is worse than shock, which is an incredibly lame animation in comparison to the old project. I can't believe what a new player must think when they use it. They'll hear something but I doubt they'll see it. I bet a lot of new players won't even know that there is an animation other than what's displayed during the impact, that's how fast the objects now fly.

I want the old animation of project back. It was the most satisfying ability in the game (especailly coupled with the Upheaval proc). To me, it was the very icon of the jedi consular class, and no doubt bioware thought so as well since project became consular's legacy ability. This new animation is a disgrace.

There, I've said my piece!
This is how I feel!

My main is a Consular, and this was one of the truly "powerful" feeling attacks that they had. It's now gone, weaker-feeling even than the Inquisitor's Shock.

They should have extended the animation time for Shock, making the Inquisitor build energy before zapping the target. I have an Assassin, and the shock feels terribly weak. Well, most of the Lightning abilities feel weak.

Unfortunately, they punished us Jedi and took away our power.
Vesten Kor-taan, Jedi Sage and Officer of OBC
Ordo Bellicus Concilium
-=Requirements: 21+, Good Attitude, Willing to have fun=-

Apeth
07.06.2012 , 12:41 PM | #182
Love it. Instant damage FTW.

Great change BW.
Gaberiel - 55 - Shadow . Gabe-riel 55 Mara ,Xapeth - 55 - Scoundrel . Jeracho - 55 - Sniper. Constintine - 55 - Merc. A'peth - 55 -Vanguard. Jerecho - 55 - Sentinal. Azekeal - 55- sage. - Founder of SWTOR
The Hexander Legacy.

KennethHoover
07.06.2012 , 02:14 PM | #183
I really wouldn't look to the movies as a way to find a workable solution to this problem re: projection. I mean, the movies themselves are a jumbled, incoherent mess with no logical consistency within each individual movie, or between separate movies.

The fact remains projection was broken. Now it's broken again with this so-called "fix" to animation.
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

ScarletBlaze
07.06.2012 , 10:17 PM | #184
The time line to this game is prior to the movies. The sith and jedi though they may be mirror classes will have different abilities.

To say a certain ability doesn't exist because it didn''t exist in the movie is incorrect. We only saw a very few jedi in the movies, mainly ones like Obi-Wan, Luke, etc. The ability that the consular has is very possible as they tend to delve into the force more deeply than say a guardian.

The time line for this period is 3653BBY with the Treaty of Corsuant and the time line for the Phantom Menance was approximetly 33BY.

Arguing about whether this ability is a jedi ability or not we have no idea as to what abilities existed prior to the movies. There are some things that will be brought out in this game due to the time line that was not prevelant in the movies.

(Sorry for getting off topic everyone)
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Dyvim
07.06.2012 , 11:48 PM | #185
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
The time line to this game is prior to the movies. The sith and jedi though they may be mirror classes will have different abilities.

To say a certain ability doesn't exist because it didn''t exist in the movie is incorrect. We only saw a very few jedi in the movies, mainly ones like Obi-Wan, Luke, etc. The ability that the consular has is very possible as they tend to delve into the force more deeply than say a guardian.

The time line for this period is 3653BBY with the Treaty of Corsuant and the time line for the Phantom Menance was approximetly 33BY.

Arguing about whether this ability is a jedi ability or not we have no idea as to what abilities existed prior to the movies. There are some things that will be brought out in this game due to the time line that was not prevelant in the movies.

(Sorry for getting off topic everyone)
Luckily, we have two games even further back than this one...little ole games called kotor 1 and kotor 2. They seemed to sync pretty well with the movies, even though they were 4000 years or so in the past. There were alot of skills in those games, and they fell well in line with the lore of the movies...but its been a while since I played them, repeatedly. Perhaps you could point out the jedi skills that involved rocks, junk and pebbles in them? No?

So actually I would say we have GREAT ideas as to the abilities that existed before the movies, from this VERY kotor franchise.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

casi
07.07.2012 , 12:47 AM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
Luckily, we have two games even further back than this one...little ole games called kotor 1 and kotor 2. They seemed to sync pretty well with the movies, even though they were 4000 years or so in the past. There were alot of skills in those games, and they fell well in line with the lore of the movies...but its been a while since I played them, repeatedly. Perhaps you could point out the jedi skills that involved rocks, junk and pebbles in them? No?

So actually I would say we have GREAT ideas as to the abilities that existed before the movies, from this VERY kotor franchise.
So from reading your posts if someone disagrees with you decide to be disrepectful and rude. Your views are only your opinions and as such your opinion only is important to you. Everyone else has an opinion as well and just becasue they disagree with your assessment gives you no right to be rude and in some cases hateful.

I have read all your posts and not once in any of your posts are you respectful. You seem to think your opinion is the only one that matters but it isn't.

Do not forget the movies are fiction and as such not real.

And furthermore regarding the Game Kotor even then the jedi abilities were limited as there were not that many jedi running around in the game. So to say an ability doesn't exist you can't since we only saw a few jedi in the game. Who are you to say they can't have those abilities. You are not the creater of the game nor the owner of the license.

You may not like certain abilities and that is your right but unless you are the one that holds the licensing and making the game you don't have the right to say an ability doesn't exist.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. Guild Roleplay in Progress:Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Dyvim
07.07.2012 , 01:43 AM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by casi View Post
So from reading your posts if someone disagrees with you decide to be disrepectful and rude. Your views are only your opinions and as such your opinion only is important to you. Everyone else has an opinion as well and just becasue they disagree with your assessment gives you no right to be rude and in some cases hateful.

I have read all your posts and not once in any of your posts are you respectful. You seem to think your opinion is the only one that matters but it isn't.

Do not forget the movies are fiction and as such not real.

And furthermore regarding the Game Kotor even then the jedi abilities were limited as there were not that many jedi running around in the game. So to say an ability doesn't exist you can't since we only saw a few jedi in the game. Who are you to say they can't have those abilities. You are not the creater of the game nor the owner of the license.

You may not like certain abilities and that is your right but unless you are the one that holds the licensing and making the game you don't have the right to say an ability doesn't exist.
Wow. So...we have someone say that we have no idea what jedi skills would be like thousands of years before the movies. I point out that there were TWO official games with a ton of lightside and darkside skills in them..and there were no ROCKS, PEBBLES,OR JUNK anywhere....

All my "views" are rooted in SOLID FACTS...please point out where, EXACTLY, you think I am wrong, and I will be glad to have an honest debate.

So am I disrespectful in pointing out facts that destroy stupid arguments where people should know better? Im sorry if people havent heard of kotor 1 or 2...but tbh, they should have, or they shouldnt opine like they know what they are talking about...

Rethink your position. I am tired of people missing basics.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

ScarletBlaze
07.07.2012 , 01:50 AM | #188

And acutally what you are describing is a form of telekinesis and that ability is mentioined in the Jedi Path when it talks about the Jedi Consular.

Defintion : Telekinesis, in the Star Wars universe, is the ability to manipulate and move objects using the Force. And this ability was used in some fashion in the movies, i.e. when Vader throws objects at Luke to distract him, Obi-Wan used it to pull Qui-Gon's saber to him. In addition Yoda used this in Attack of the Clones when he stopped a rock from crushing Obi-Wan and Anakin and threw it away from them. Yoda also used this when raising the X-wing from the swamp when Luke failed to do so.

A simple basic telekinetic ability using the Force involves stretching out one's feelings through the Force to mentally seize a object in question, exerting one's will on it so that it performs as they wish. The Force power functioned on the theory that the Force reacts to a Force-user's strength of will, allowing a user to apply the Force with their mind to some other space or object (which can be a rock, droid, etc.).
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Majspuffen
07.07.2012 , 04:45 AM | #189
Wow. So...we have someone say that we have no idea what jedi skills would be like thousands of years before the movies. I point out that there were TWO official games with a ton of lightside and darkside skills in them..and there were no ROCKS, PEBBLES,OR JUNK anywhere....

All my "views" are rooted in SOLID FACTS...please point out where, EXACTLY, you think I am wrong, and I will be glad to have an honest debate.

So am I disrespectful in pointing out facts that destroy stupid arguments where people should know better? Im sorry if people havent heard of kotor 1 or 2...but tbh, they should have, or they shouldnt opine like they know what they are talking about...

Rethink your position. I am tired of people missing basics.
The reason why there's no project in Knights of the old Republic could be as simple as graphic limitation. Besides, there are already dozens of abilities in knights of the old republic and most of them are in this game.

Force Jump = Force Leap and Force Charge in this game.
Force Valor = Jedi Consular's Buff.
Force Armor = Jedi Sages bubble.
Burst of Speed = Consular and Inquisitors Force Speed.
Affect Mind = Consular and Inquisitors Mind Trick
Force Push = Jedi Guardians and Juggernauts got this.
Force Whirlwind = Inquisitors got this.
Force Wave = Consulars got this.
Force Breach = Jedi Shadows got this.
Throw Lightsaber = Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors got this.
Force Camouflague = Jedi Sentinels and Sith Marauders got this.
Force Stun = Jedi Consulars got this.
Force Stasis = Jedi Knights got this.
Force Choke = Sith Warriors got this.
Force Slow = Consulars and Inquisitors got this.
Force Shock = Inquistors got this.
Force Lightning = Inquisitors got this.
Force Storm = Sith Sorcerers got this.
Death Field = Sith Inquisitors got this.
Force Affliction = Sith Sorcerers got this.
Disable Droid = Jedi Knights and Sith Marauders got this.

ALL those abilities are from Knights of the old republic 1. Know how many that were left out? Force Resistance/Force Immunity and Energy Resistance/Improved Energy Resistance, which could both fall under Jedi Shadows Resilience and Sith Assassins Force Shroud. There are no abilities by the name of "Cure" or "Heal", like the healing force powers were called in KoToR, but we do have a lot of healing abilities so I think that covers that. There doesn't seem to be any ability inspired by fear/horror/insanity. Should consulars get those, perhaps?

Knights of the Old Republic 2 added some force powers to the game, but to be frank they were mostly just buffs, and stronger versions of old abilities. Force Potency is one ability, however, that made it into this game. Consulars got it. Force Scream is another, Sith Warriors got that. So, looking to Knights of the Old Republic, what ability could you possibly give to consulars that hasn't already been given to any other class?

NONE.

So stop trying to look to KoToR to backup your arguments because everything in KoToR has been spoken for. Project did its job of displaying the telekinetic aspect of the force great, and as do telekinetic throw. If you don't like those animations, then that's your problem. If you like the inquisitor animations so much better then go play an inquisitor and stop crying in the consular forums. As I've said before, I rolled a consular because I thought the inquisitors had lame animations. It's just lightning, lightning, lightning. Gets old very fast. Consulars animations are more varied and looks better. Not just the animation of the abilities themselves, but the character animations too. The way a consular channels tetekinetic throw looks much cooler than when a sith inquisitor channels force lightning.
Lambaste!
Best talent in the Galaxy!

SamuelAU
07.07.2012 , 05:46 AM | #190
I like it. It's a lot quicker than the old animation, so you do your damage quicker.

It's harder to identify what exactly the pieces of rubble are because they move too quickly.