Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Planet "Makeb" Doesn't exist yet

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
New Planet "Makeb" Doesn't exist yet

HiddenPalm's Avatar


HiddenPalm
10.11.2012 , 10:09 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Gratulor View Post
Without writers taking creative freedom, we wouldn't have Korriban. It was invented by the authors of Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the SIth in 1995-96. That comic book also introduced the Cathar and the series as a whole gave us Onderon, Dxun, Miraluka, Sith Purebloods, Ossus, re-introduced the Mandalorians (who hadn't been used since the 1980's) and gave us a first look into ancient Sith culture.

And without that comic book series, we wouldn't have this game. Bioware expanded on that series and gave us Taris, Manaan and Lehon. Now they have created Denova, Makeb, Quesh, Cademimu, Athiss and expanded upon the Voss, who previously were largely unknown. Dromund Kaas was created for the game Mysteries of the Sith.

I think it's more interesting to add new lore than simply rehashing everything all the time. Keeps things fresh.
I would have to agree. This is where Star Wars lives, not the movies. I'm more interested in what the OP had to say about Kolto.
The Grassroots Jedi Movement
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." - King
APPLICATION * www.GrassrootsJedi.org *
We are the very first and only Anti-War Guild for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

the_nerfherder's Avatar


the_nerfherder
11.29.2012 , 04:11 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
I think its hilarious that the OP thinks planets that were made up for KOTOR are perfectly OK, but planets made up for SWTOR are not.
Yes I do, for one main reason KOTOR was a more story based game and you can create the planet through story, KOTOR did that! SWTOR does not! While leveling, I was bored leveling on Voss, Quesh, Tython....why? Because there isn't anything star wars fans recognize. And you can't get into the story of those planets because this isn't a game where you sit through 10-15 mins of dialogue. Games like KOTOR, Star Wars books, etc can get away with making up planets because you can spend a lot more time getting the attention of the reader with details, they don't do that in swtor, which is fine! Think of the scene in KOTOR 2 where you return to the Jedi enclave and talk to the Jedi Masters, a scene like that wil never be in an MMO, because MMO players aren't gonna sit through that dialogue....so why would they sit through details of planets to excite you to go there? Let me sum it up this way, swtor is not a story based game, it has a alright story, but it doesn't have a story to keep you interested throughout leveling. And because it doesn't have that story, when you make up planets and just put 100 people in it, you begin playing a game that doesn't feel like star wars, It's just a futuristic WoW. I'm fine with them adding bull **** planets for WZs and ops (Asitation and Denova) because I'm not exploring that. Leveling, people want to go places they recognize, symbolic places!

legbamel's Avatar


legbamel
12.01.2012 , 11:12 AM | #83
Maybe traditional MMO players don't want all that dialogue but Star Wars fans do and they'll watch it when playing this game. There are some fairly lengthy conversations in the game already.

Personally, I loved what they did on Voss and am looking forward to new worlds to explore, with more lore to find.
Just a Bioware Fan suckered into a new obsession.
Curator of The Not-Pop Jukebox.

Cathalan's Avatar


Cathalan
12.01.2012 , 01:41 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
I don't quite see the problem with Bioware creating a new planet. It can't be not lore, because the inclusion in SW:TOR makes it lore... I don't mind Taris (which was Bioware's own invention as well), and certainly see no problem with Makeb. I am curious what exactly the problem with Makeb is that people do not have with Taris. And I am not sure whether planets like Quesh, Belsavis and so forth have ever been mentioned before.
True. Taris was created by Bioware but then it became ingrained into canon by Dark Horse and stories about the Padawan Massacre and the Covenant.
Master Shu-Jin Nall
Septumvirate Lead
Jedi Peacekeepers

ElyonRand's Avatar


ElyonRand
12.03.2012 , 02:24 AM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by NRVNQSR View Post
wait, you WANT to go to Naboo? You WANT to have Gungans running around? You WANT to have to talk to them as your quest givers? Are you ill?
Taking into account that this is the period that Naboo was first being colonised by humans, last time I checked Wookieepedia, Gungans would likely be the only quest givers. The Galaxy is just that, a galaxy, and therefore has thousands of planets on it. Why should we stick with the ones we already have? Have a mix of both, makes it more fun that way. And to the guy who said Hoth was surreal, it's a planet covered in ice and snow, what were you expecting??

Mawduce's Avatar


Mawduce
12.03.2012 , 09:56 PM | #86
they dont need to add new worlds that done exist when they can just as easy create the lore on the planets we already have.... they are PLANETS. that means huge areas
I was made to fly, and you were made to die...

Caelith's Avatar


Caelith
12.08.2012 , 11:34 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by the_nerfherder View Post
See that's where I disagree, Bioware should stick with classic star wars planets and themes until they get big enough, then give them room to do this,
The only downside is they can only do so much with them, with Makeb they can destroy it if they wanted.
The siege of Coruscant was in fact brought to an end after the republic agreed to give the Empire a Shrubbery, one that looked nice and wasn't too expensive.

LegendaryBlade's Avatar


LegendaryBlade
12.09.2012 , 02:33 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
They will reserve major planets for the big expansions, only makes sense.
Makeb is probably the biggest release we're going to see for SWTOR for a long time.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

Spartanik's Avatar


Spartanik
12.09.2012 , 08:19 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Ausstig View Post
I like the end game outfits, a black cloak is insanely boring. At least the Inqs now look like the Ancient Sith Lords, from the days before the Prequels killed all creativity in the EU.
Hear hear i actualy agree with this. Im still waiting to outfit my pure blood sith juggernaut just like Naga sadow. :P
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Also
Quote:
HK47: Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere.

WolfersHD's Avatar


WolfersHD
02.21.2013 , 06:46 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by the_nerfherder View Post
Yes I do, for one main reason KOTOR was a more story based game and you can create the planet through story, KOTOR did that! SWTOR does not! While leveling, I was bored leveling on Voss, Quesh, Tython....why? Because there isn't anything star wars fans recognize. And you can't get into the story of those planets because this isn't a game where you sit through 10-15 mins of dialogue. Games like KOTOR, Star Wars books, etc can get away with making up planets because you can spend a lot more time getting the attention of the reader with details, they don't do that in swtor, which is fine! Think of the scene in KOTOR 2 where you return to the Jedi enclave and talk to the Jedi Masters, a scene like that wil never be in an MMO, because MMO players aren't gonna sit through that dialogue....so why would they sit through details of planets to excite you to go there? Let me sum it up this way, swtor is not a story based game, it has a alright story, but it doesn't have a story to keep you interested throughout leveling. And because it doesn't have that story, when you make up planets and just put 100 people in it, you begin playing a game that doesn't feel like star wars, It's just a futuristic WoW. I'm fine with them adding bull **** planets for WZs and ops (Asitation and Denova) because I'm not exploring that. Leveling, people want to go places they recognize, symbolic places!
Maybe for you the planets weren't interesting, but I was actually having a fairly good time learning about the planets and native species, so much so I even read all of the codex's.