Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Planet "Makeb" Doesn't exist yet

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
New Planet "Makeb" Doesn't exist yet

the_nerfherder
06.06.2012 , 11:04 AM | #1
Alright, I'm one of those guys who played this game strictly because I'm a star wars nerd, a really annoying one to. But what annoys me is Bioware announces to add a new planet to this game, and it doesn't even exist in the universe. Honestly, with the books I'm fine with authors writing about new planets, but I think at the point where there are that many planets in lore ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets ) it'd be much more fun to add something that players are a little more familiar with, instead of adding new things every chance you get. Plus, I could mention some other things you really messed up in the story (such as the use of kolto) but I won't get in it. What I am really saying here is: Stop trying to be creative, bring back memories of KOTOR fans by putting in manaan, or even better a Jedi enclave on Danatione.

TheLoneSage
06.06.2012 , 11:09 AM | #2
This is an MMO and they will be expanding the known Star Wars Universe as most every Star Wars game has done before. So expect to see "New" lore added on as well as planets. (Maybe it dosen't exist because it was secret and destroyed by the Emperor then covered up? Nobody knows.)

Aside from that, I'd LOVE if they take some attempts at classic Star Wars planets like Naboo and the Wookie Homeworld. As well as some other iconic planets from the movies and books. However, we can't expect everything, not this early into the Game's history.

Just wait, 1.4 brings more Story. And you always need more places to put story.
Who's my favorite Villain from the game?
Myself of course.

Jonoku
06.06.2012 , 11:10 AM | #3
Yes, bioware made their own planet, made it up and recently got added here. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Makeb Bioware is trying to be all creative and in the end most people find it terrible. For example, end game outfits, they look terrible, feathers on inquisitors? I look like a peacock. Spikes on armor? I look like I just came from a KISS concert. ..... A cloak and robe will do.........
Level 55 Juggernaut Tank
Prophecy Of The Five

the_nerfherder
06.06.2012 , 11:12 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheLoneSage View Post
This is an MMO and they will be expanding the known Star Wars Universe as most every Star Wars game has done before. So expect to see "New" lore added on as well as planets. (Maybe it dosen't exist because it was secret and destroyed by the Emperor then covered up? Nobody knows.)

Aside from that, I'd LOVE if they take some attempts at classic Star Wars planets like Naboo and the Wookie Homeworld. As well as some other iconic planets from the movies and books. However, we can't expect everything, not this early into the Game's history.

Just wait, 1.4 brings more Story. And you always need more places to put story.
See that's where I disagree, Bioware should stick with classic star wars planets and themes until they get big enough, then give them room to do this,

Captain_Zone
06.06.2012 , 11:15 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by the_nerfherder View Post
See that's where I disagree, Bioware should stick with classic star wars planets and themes until they get big enough, then give them room to do this,
It wouldn't be the first time an author created a new planet in Star Wars and had it approved by LL. While I would prefer Kashyyyk or Naboo or one of the other established planets in the Star Wars universe, I see nothing wrong with making a new one. As long as it's well thought out, I say "Why not?"
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Marked_Man
06.06.2012 , 12:03 PM | #6
Just remember, today's planet could be tomorrow's asteroid field.

Rayla_Felana
06.06.2012 , 12:06 PM | #7
They will reserve major planets for the big expansions, only makes sense.

Ausstig
06.06.2012 , 04:09 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jonoku View Post
Yes, bioware made their own planet, made it up and recently got added here. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Makeb Bioware is trying to be all creative and in the end most people find it terrible. For example, end game outfits, they look terrible, feathers on inquisitors? I look like a peacock. Spikes on armor? I look like I just came from a KISS concert. ..... A cloak and robe will do.........
I like the end game outfits, a black cloak is insanely boring. At least the Inqs now look like the Ancient Sith Lords, from the days before the Prequels killed all creativity in the EU.
Have Force lightning will travel

Temeluchus
06.06.2012 , 04:18 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by the_nerfherder View Post
Alright, I'm one of those guys who played this game strictly because I'm a star wars nerd, a really annoying one to. But what annoys me is Bioware announces to add a new planet to this game, and it doesn't even exist in the universe. Honestly, with the books I'm fine with authors writing about new planets, but I think at the point where there are that many planets in lore ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets ) it'd be much more fun to add something that players are a little more familiar with, instead of adding new things every chance you get. Plus, I could mention some other things you really messed up in the story (such as the use of kolto) but I won't get in it. What I am really saying here is: Stop trying to be creative, bring back memories of KOTOR fans by putting in manaan, or even better a Jedi enclave on Danatione.
Manaan had all it's surface cites razed and destroyed by the Empire, the Selkath are either underwater buried in a hole so deep they won't emerge until the movie time period or if we do go to Manaan it will be all underwater. Dantooine would be pretty much be Taris 2.0, after the Sith paid their visits.

I wouldn't mind a visit to Kashyyyk, Dxun,Telos, Onderon or Lehon(datamining looks like we might be going back there anyways) though.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Callaron
06.06.2012 , 04:33 PM | #10
Creative freedom... if novel writers get to do it, why not video game writers? =P
The Star Wars galaxy is HUGE, there's room for tons of planets there.