Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Adaptive Social Gear in Action!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Adaptive Social Gear in Action!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

T-Assassin
06.08.2012 , 11:47 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Aharx View Post
Colour kits would be awesome.

SWG had this in 2003-2004.

mind blowing, huh?

MMO:
character attachment (gear customization, personal looks) + content + community = success

4th pillar...crumbled.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Tricky-Ha
06.08.2012 , 11:47 AM | #102
Adaptive Social Gear does not adapt to Battlemaster set bonuses, why is that BioWare?
You don't know about me, You don't know about me
I'm a gangster , I'm a gangster
I'm a player, I'm a player

T-Assassin
06.08.2012 , 11:49 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by bpphantom View Post
I for one am glad that this finally got addressed. Some of the social gear looks great (Imperial Soldier) but I was disappointed that it was light armor only. In comes 1.3 and >BAM< a viable look.
what do you do in-game?

pvp, OP, HM?

how do you plan to maximize your characters effectiveness, while looking cool and not gimping yourself, your team, or your group?

(or do you actually have people to play with on your server/guild? i.e. champaign/WH gear)

T-Assassin
06.08.2012 , 11:50 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Tricky-Ha View Post
Adaptive Social Gear does not adapt to Battlemaster set bonuses, why is that BioWare?
because it was poorly thought out and lazy.

and, unless someone from BW actually comes in here and explains it, there is no other answer.

and, i'm and understanding person...if it just can't be done (why, i would not know), i'll accept it.

poor design and no communication is just unacceptable.

Plumz
06.08.2012 , 11:53 AM | #105
When you unsub BW asks you 300 questions of how would you feel, if you ever did and would you play .. etc all about Free to play mode and cash shops. It's obvious they are asking those for a reason and they are interested in their own game and not Lotro.

They already know september comes all thos 6moth subs are gone they will have no choice but put in cash shop. Just wait till guilds going to get shafted with transfers. Move guild bank into player banks, disband, transfer and than start guild from scratch? That is gonna work well with people who are already pissed off waiting months on dead servers with no means to replenish their dwindling ranks...

Cahs shops first with fluff. (Problem is we have no apearance tab to show the fluff yet) F2P by december. Kudos.

sirheimer
06.08.2012 , 11:55 AM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post
i consider myself a "unique thinker". and i have a SERIOUS problem when i see thousands upon THOUSANDS of complaints regarding social gear, appearance slots, color palettes, and character customization in general.

what i do when i see a problem: i find as many ways to solve this problem as efficiently as possible, as well as actually addressing the issue at hand.

this adaptive gear DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING!!

caps...yes caps...i'm sorry, i just cannot wrap my mind around the firm stance of not allowing players to create, mold, and dress their character how they want. do game developers not understand the bond people make with their characters?

this bond is only further strengthened thru appearance...actually liking the way you look creates and sense of satisfaction and keeps players who would otherwise move on, become attached to those characters and make it difficult to abandon them, since they have this bond with their toon.

in closing,

problem: severe inability to customize character appearances (which leads to dissatisfied customers and afore mentioned stuff

resolution: appearance slots, armor color kits, retro armor mod improvements.

fix it. (i don't want to hear the coding nonsnese, the difficulties, the time it takes...you want to succeed? it's called hard work and sacrifice.)

Man oh man. So many things here. You consider yourself a "unique thinker"? What does that even mean? You aren't even using proper grammar. Trying to position yourself as one who can come up with solutions of higher intellectual strength than the rest of us falls hard when you ignore some of the most basic elements of writing and communication.

You are right about the bond being strengthened through appearance, for sure, but as far as I'm concerned you are wrong in saying that this change they are making doesn't help. I'm sure excited about it. I actually have quite a few toons decked out in social gear and even take the armor hit just to get the look, so for someone like me this is killer. While it obviously doesn't help the min/maxers as much as they'd like, it is a big and needed improvement.

As for not wanting to hear coding nonsense, you just completely nuked any remaining chance you had at being taken seriously, especially when you earlier stated that you try to "solve the problem as efficiently as possible" and then follow that up with not wanting to hear about coding, difficulties, or time. How do you intend to be efficient if you don't take these variables into consideration? You haven't actually presented us with any solutions here, just a wishlist.

Do you have any idea how much the people on a game development team work and sacrifice to please people like us? Families are destroyed in the gaming industry. Work weeks are long, days endless, and launch dates often non-negotiable. I'm curious what you know about hard work and sacrifice to make this statement, about a game?

I appreciate your efforts, but I don't consider you the "unique thinker" that you do, when you really brought nothing unique to the table.

Tricky-Ha
06.08.2012 , 11:58 AM | #107
because it was poorly thought out and lazy.

and, unless someone from BW actually comes in here and explains it, there is no other answer.

and, i'm and understanding person...if it just can't be done (why, i would not know), i'll accept it.

poor design and no communication is just unacceptable.
Well our so called Lead Game Designer is an admitted roleplayer, yet he's the one fighting against most of the communities' roleplay requests with excuses about "later", "you'd be confused by playing a freak alien" or "it's too hard", so I just call that guy a liar instead & don't trust anything he ever says. Yeah, SWTOR is about as anti-SWG as an MMO can ever try to be, it's pretty sad considering that so many ex-SWG players migrated here with hopes & dreams of making this their new permanent virtual homes.
You don't know about me, You don't know about me
I'm a gangster , I'm a gangster
I'm a player, I'm a player

T-Assassin
06.08.2012 , 12:04 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by sirheimer View Post
Man oh man. So many things here. You consider yourself a "unique thinker"? What does that even mean? You aren't even using proper grammar. Trying to position yourself as one who can come up with solutions of higher intellectual strength than the rest of us falls hard when you ignore some of the most basic elements of writing and communication.

You are right about the bond being strengthened through appearance, for sure, but as far as I'm concerned you are wrong in saying that this change they are making doesn't help. I'm sure excited about it. I actually have quite a few toons decked out in social gear and even take the armor hit just to get the look, so for someone like me this is killer. While it obviously doesn't help the min/maxers as much as they'd like, it is a big and needed improvement.

did you ever think all the social/special armor was made "light" to be used in appearance slots...so everybody can use them...but, now, BW keeps trying to put their own special twists on things (adaptive armor) instead of going with the tried and true(appearance slots)?

just doesn't make sense...now u gotta get the gear, spend 500k+ to mod it, and you can't even use the columbine, rakata, tionese gear bonuses.

not very intuitive...you CANNOT argue that, can you?

As for not wanting to hear coding nonsense, you just completely nuked any remaining chance you had at being taken seriously, especially when you earlier stated that you try to "solve the problem as efficiently as possible" and then follow that up with not wanting to hear about coding, difficulties, or time. How do you intend to be efficient if you don't take these variables into consideration? You haven't actually presented us with any solutions here, just a wishlist.

Do you have any idea how much the people on a game development team work and sacrifice to please people like us? Families are destroyed in the gaming industry. Work weeks are long, days endless, and launch dates often non-negotiable. I'm curious what you know about hard work and sacrifice to make this statement, about a game?

as opposed to, say, the miltary? omg...working long hours tears families apart?! go find a new job...

I appreciate your efforts, but I don't consider you the "unique thinker" that you do, when you really brought nothing unique to the table.
care to explain technology that has been used since 2003 not in SWTOR? (armor dye, appearance slots, etc.) ya know...typical standard features.

and, not that it matters, this is the forumz...see that z, see what i did there? it's called shorthand and a little writer's lib.

with todays short attention spans and TL;DR society, i try to fall in line.

so, you breaking down my means of communication means little to me. if you cannot be open minded enuff (lol...omg <---u see that spelling of enough...appalling) to see past shorthand, grammar, and spelling on FORUMZ, then we'll never see eye to eye.

but, your opinion is just as valid as mine...

p.s. "unique thinker" is a joke from The Mighty Boosh...i call it somewhat serious humor.

p.p.s. ironically enough, my specialty is QA...and this adaptive gear would not have passed, had i had a chance to review it.

Big_Ron
06.08.2012 , 12:19 PM | #109
my companions are going to love my new social gear. why my companions, because there is nobody on the server to be social with

Aharx
06.08.2012 , 12:20 PM | #110
SWG had this in 2003-2004.

mind blowing, huh?

MMO:
character attachment (gear customization, personal looks) + content + community = success

4th pillar...crumbled.
Yup, I played SWG since day 1, I remember being able to look how I wanted 99% of the time (appearance tab came alot later but for the most part they had tons of armor choices so you could pretty much look unique... except for that phase when everyone wore Composite Armour, hehe).
Aharx Pasari
Smuggler- Scoundrel: Sawbones
<<<--- GFF --->>>
"She may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts."