Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LadyJezebele
06.07.2012 , 11:12 AM | #891
Quote: Originally Posted by AntTHFD View Post
Hey Devs-

If 1.3 is focused around Group play, why the hell are you making it hard to move a GUILD, the only GROUPS some of us have been relying on for the past few months? I'm still holding on to a thin shred of hope that my server is targeted as a destination, because this seems like a bit much of a burden to shift onto your playerbase to rectify your post-launch kneejerk reaction to open way too many servers. Great option for you unguilded folks, but guilds are getting the shaft here.
How do you figure guilds are getting the shaft. Yes you will have to reform your guild but a simply request sent into customer service and they will make your guild bank however big it was on your original server. They can't transfer whole guilds as that takes away the option from people on what happens to their account. I'd be pretty pissed if someone decided for me where I would move, even if I was in a guild that I planned to move with. Your guild gets to keep everything it has, so what's the issue for guilds again?

caravaggio
06.07.2012 , 11:13 AM | #892
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.
I understand the logic behind this move, but I do think it is a mistake. A server like Jung Ma (if it is a destination server) isn't going to see much benefit from absorbing the other two NA RP-PvP Servers, but I do think many on low population PvP servers would consider a transfer there if allowed to do so.

Please reconsider allowing RP-PvP destination servers to allow more origin servers than just the RP-PvP ones.

ML_DoubleTap
06.07.2012 , 11:13 AM | #893
Quote: Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
The reason why Legacy complicates things is because it wasn't coded very well in the first place. It's clear the database schema used for SWTOR was not created with the realities of MMOs in mind.

Any time BioWare says "technical limitations" on a basic quality of life, common sense or obvious feature, keep in mind it's THEIR tech and their fault they painted themselves in a really apparent, obvious corner.

There's zero technical limitations on why a character can't swap between any server types or location. There's no special gear, flags, quests, doodads, trinkets, widgets, abilities, skills, companions or any other piece of data that makes up your character on any non-standard ruleset server. It's the ruleset that changes, not you. You're just a little pawn in the game, being put onto a different chessboard.

They need to get a server transfer system in place so they can check it off their list of things to be implemented and that's what we're getting. The token transfer system. Look at all the people in this thread saying "EA take my money please, just let me transfer to wherever I want." Do you think EA is gonna say "no, no, keep your money!" If so, could you direct me to where you parked your time machine because clearly you've missed the last 20 years of the videogame business.
As nice as transfering to any server you want sounds it would cause a lot of problems. So many people have allready rolled new characters on Fatman that there are already queue times pretty regularly. If everyone is able to choose where they go a large majority will go to one of the current top 3 because the populations there are already high. Then, we'll see even longer queue times. A planned and strategic funneling is necessary to create healthy populations all around on several servers. After that is done, they can open up less restrictive transfers because there won't be as many people eager to go to one of the 'big 3' because their current server will be healthier.

Gornn
06.07.2012 , 11:16 AM | #894
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramahospitality View Post
The patch is coming up sometime in July, so chill. The devs are fixing minor bugs and stuff in their weekly patching but all major changes to the game wait until the major patch, otherwise we'll have what happened in RIFT when one day of every week was unplayable because they rushed to get stuff out then promptly screwed it up and had to spend all day trying to fix it. BW is sending out major patches every couple of months. It takes time to get everything ready and all those people that are leaving just don't realize that, hey, wait it out. This game has huge potential and BW is getting it on its fit finally. With 1.3 and 1.4 we should see major changes that will fix most issues. These patches are coming out in just the right amount of time in my opinion.
The fact is the patch and server transfers aren't even linked. The post on server transfers said they were startign on June 12th. It has nothing to do with 1.3...the poster was just confused and/or didn't read the server transfer post before shouting "fiiiiiiiiiiiire"

TzachNahRood
06.07.2012 , 11:19 AM | #895
Quote: Originally Posted by -Dench View Post
Respectfully, this is a major mistake. With all 3 North American RP-PVP servers, we still wont be looking at populations anywhere near what they were on opening week.

Ven Zallow is dead, and the other two are low Standards. Even when combined, we will still have low populations compared to what the server is capable of running.
^^This

Please reconsider when it comes to RP-PvP servers. Even if all of them were combined, there aren't enough servers of this type to make a healthy population. I was really looking forward to a nicely populated server.

Just get rid of the RP-PvP designation entirely if you have to. Or allow people to transfer between PvP and RP-PvP.

My server, Jung Ma, used to have a healthy population so it wasn't much of a concern. But now even this server is dwindling. Let us enjoy your game as intended on a server with a healthy population.

Ramahospitality
06.07.2012 , 11:19 AM | #896
Quote: Originally Posted by Gornn View Post
The fact is the patch and server transfers aren't even linked. The post on server transfers said they were startign on June 12th. It has nothing to do with 1.3...the poster was just confused and/or didn't read the server transfer post before shouting "fiiiiiiiiiiiire"
lol. I just read it as linking the patch and server transfers together that way they have more time to get everything done, work out the bugs and just get over with once instead of stretching things out.

LadyJezebele
06.07.2012 , 11:19 AM | #897
I correct myself in that the post on transfers does state that they will start on June 12th. This does appear to be happening outside of the patch. The way that they word it outside of that one sentence makes it seem like it is attached to the patch. My mistake. I'd delete my post if I could.

ML_DoubleTap
06.07.2012 , 11:20 AM | #898
Quote: Originally Posted by caravaggio View Post
I understand the logic behind this move, but I do think it is a mistake. A server like Jung Ma (if it is a destination server) isn't going to see much benefit from absorbing the other two NA RP-PvP Servers, but I do think many on low population PvP servers would consider a transfer there if allowed to do so.

Please reconsider allowing RP-PvP destination servers to allow more origin servers than just the RP-PvP ones.
It would at least double it's size and make it comparable with everything, except Fatman.

vadess
06.07.2012 , 11:20 AM | #899
I really like what you are implement and it does make sense. My only concern is that I do have a guild and it would be nice to transfer that guild, should we all decide to leave the Vrook Lamar server... Though it might not be that bad. For all I know, Lamar is a destination server!

Naritus-Coffee
06.07.2012 , 11:23 AM | #900
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.
So let me get this right. Guild deplyment was pooly implemented at launch and we were handed severly unbalanced servers between factions. Alos as a reslult many in my guild have rolled on a pve server or stoped playing. So there is no chance to move our allready max level characters to join what few remaining friends I have left from other mmo's on a different server type. I dont buy it I need a good reason why you wont allow it.
If there is any chance this will be handled like Guild deployment at launch there is nothing you can say to reassure me the same nightmare unbalanced server placement wont happen again. I remember reading the idea was to help forge communities and reuinte friends but this news is quite contrary to that.