Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JeramieCrowe
06.06.2012 , 12:34 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
You know they'll be axed eventually. Just from a cost management standpoint. It won't exactly be next month though.
Exactly.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

kilosoldier
06.06.2012 , 12:35 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
/facepalm

No, it's just that, right now, the QQ is much quieter than if they allowed a free-for-all. A free-for-all is a bad BAD idea. And so is a merge.
This is a bad idea as well.

They should merge servers to preserve communities/guilds etc. This is the best answer. Once the server pops stabilize then allow a paid transfer service to be implemented. The only reason this isnt happening is because of "bad press", which is asinine because SWTOR is swimming in bad press as it is.

kickdamonkey
06.06.2012 , 12:35 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Sireene View Post
Hello, kickdamonkey!

At this time, this is the available information we have regarding Legacy, but please keep an eye out as more details will be coming soon in an FAQ that's dedicated to transfers:

Thanks and may the Force be with you!
Thanks, I guess I missed that part. Hungover and tired.

Grammarye
06.06.2012 , 12:35 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Dranous View Post
I would like to pose the following situation to see how it might be dealt with in the move plan BW is putting forth.

I have Republic charcters on The ShadowLands. Not a high pop server, but certainly not the lowest.
I have Imp characters on Fort Garnik. Yesterday at 5:00 pm eastern there were around 38 total people I could find after looking at all planets and stuff.

I was hoping to get my Imp characters off Fort Garnik to The Shadowlands. But if I understand the release right, if Fort Garnik isn't listed as a viable source server and The shadowLands isn't listed as a viable destination server at the same time, then I'm not going to be able to consolidate characters.

Is it possible to put in an option that allows you folks to transfer their characters to the server list you suggest, or a server in which they already have characters? Maybe even only servers in which they have a level 30 character or higher?
The blog indicates that in the first wave they are intending to deal with immediate population problems they designate. It doesn't rule out arbitrary transfers in the future at all. I'm in the same boat; I doubt I will be able to move any of my problem chars at the first wave. The technology is clearly available; now we have to see when and how it's made available more generally.

I'm not surprised they're not doing that first. This initial wave will be fun enough for CS to sort through.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

Menthro
06.06.2012 , 12:35 PM | #85
How do you know no servers are "getting axed"?
They have said that no servers are being taken down, or something to that effect. Like I said, what I mean by axed is becoming a transfering out server, which in all honesty alot of people are going to jump ship, and becoming so low pop that is lieratarlly impossible to do anything from fill a raid to run a single warzone. I am sorry, I should have clarified in the first post.
Peace through firepower. Lots of firepower.

Troopers lead the way!

Infalliable
06.06.2012 , 12:36 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Celebrus View Post
It wouldn't appear that any servers are "getting axed" as you put it.

They are simply going to encourage people to transfer off of the lower pop servers, they made it quite clear that you will not be forced to transfer which kind of implies that no servers are being shut down or merged and that no forced transfers will occur.

They aren't merging anything, anyone that thinks that servers are being shut down or merged should probably take a closer look at the actual article, because none of that is happening.

It should be happening, but it's not.
The obvious goal of all of this is to axe servers and not really state that. The game population is pretty good overall for a MMO, but just WAY too spread out on 220-odd servers. They must eliminate servers and increase populations and this is how they're planning on doing it.

Expect to see in about 3-6 months the closing of the "origin" servers after people have voluntarily moved. Any characters not moved from a closing server will likely end up in limbo at that point and be required to choose a new one when logging in.

My only hope in this is that the destination servers for a particular origin server do not change over time (such that some are removed). It'd be horrendous if 80% of the guild moved in the first week to server A, then server A was removed as a potential destination.

The guild bank issue isn't too big a deal. It's going to be a pain but what will happen in almost all cases is the guild leader or other responsible party will just empty the guild bank into theirs then take it all out on the new server. It's a one time hassle but well worth it on most servers.

Rouncer
06.06.2012 , 12:36 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by FourTwent View Post
meh, i still can't transfer my old mains over to fatman. nothing impressive here
Seriously. Waste of time. What the hell happened to free transfers where ever people want to go? So what if it ends up with server queues, then people will move elsewhere. So this really is just another money grab by forcing people to pay for transfers to where they actually want to go.

My sub is running out soon and while I am enjoying leveling a Jedi Knight on Fatman there is no way I will be paying to run up legacy levels on him because you won't let me move my existing legacy, that is stuck on Veela, over to Fatman to be with him.

netskink
06.06.2012 , 12:36 PM | #88
Is there a way to check for toon names and legacy names on target servers? If given the option to transfer to multiple servers, I would like to know if I can transfer to a server without changing any names.
50s Dapengzi, Wicked Wanda, Blind'Anma, Meiling, Xiaowan, Relee Lowbies Xiaojiejie, Tarheel Tank, The Wait, Tarheal 1xConquerer, 3xWH. 2xBM.
Guild: www.heiankongzhi.com Fatman - PVP Imperial - Recruiting
SWTOR Videos: http://www.heiankongzhi.com/home/swtor/videos

Dezzi
06.06.2012 , 12:36 PM | #89
Well, on that specific point, no one said it won't ever be allowed.
Which is my point. They make it pretty clear that transfers for a fee are coming, and by enforcing such arbitrary restrictions (like server type), they guarantee themselves some sales.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

Coldin
06.06.2012 , 12:36 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
You are not required to move when transfers become available; it's your choice if you'd like to stay on your server.
Of course, it would be a very poor decision to remain on any server with transfers available. Unless I guess people really like playing MMOs completely alone.