Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ramladon
06.07.2012 , 09:26 AM | #831
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
I already canceled sub auto-renewal weeks ago.

Therein lies the problem. I love TOR. I complain because I care about what happens to TOR. If I didn't care, I'd be happily playing Diablo III and waiting for Mechwarrior Online, and Titan, among others without ever bothering to waste my time here.

If you care then why are you using misguided stats and just ranting that they are ruining the game. It wasn't Bioware that pushed for all the extra servers it was EA and since there the ones that provide the servers for the game and have control of sales you should blame them not the DEV's of Bioware. They are doing there best to try and fix a broken situation.

Always funny how fanboys accuse others of "whining", but when they complain it's always "constructive criticism" about even more trivial issues. At least the labeled "haters" are complaining about the game or a company rather than being inward focused in attacking other players.
Not a fanboy sorry. I know swtor is semi broken as well as anyone else that is playing the game. I like many players are tring to ride out the storm to see if it can properly get on it's feet. Just like I did when Blizzard screwed up the end of Wrath and when they made matters even worse in Cata I promptly quit. I didn't go on thier forums and whine about how I thought they ruined the game because there are people that still enjoy it.

amcdoog
06.07.2012 , 09:27 AM | #832
I will be on vacation during the server transfer time......through Sunday. I would like to know how long the window of opportunity will be to transfer your characters, since my server has 7 people on the fleet at peak times.

Ramladon
06.07.2012 , 09:34 AM | #833
Quote: Originally Posted by amcdoog View Post
I will be on vacation during the server transfer time......through Sunday. I would like to know how long the window of opportunity will be to transfer your characters, since my server has 7 people on the fleet at peak times.
Well considering that they are only doing a few servers at a time you can't say but they did say that if your guild moves you will have the opertunity to move to the same server. Also I'm sure the transfers will be available for more then just a week. Have fun on your vacation.

MadHobbit
06.07.2012 , 09:35 AM | #834
I am a bit curious on why it is so hard to transfer char? I have been playing City of Heroes for 8 years, when they added char transfers, it was less than 5 mins. now 2+years later it takes only about 1 min and it has been all automated from day 1. unless iI am mistaken our chars are part of a database, and some field has the server name. that is the only thing they are changing, I could see stuff on the GTN being a bit of a problem. well we should know by the 13 how things are going.

Scorpienne
06.07.2012 , 09:36 AM | #835
Quote: Originally Posted by amcdoog View Post
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...46#edit4557046

"Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice. "

JeramieCrowe
06.07.2012 , 09:37 AM | #836
Quote: Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
so this basic service took bioware over 6 month to implement.
Under 6 months, actually.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

cipher_nemo
06.07.2012 , 09:37 AM | #837
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
That analysis doesn't talk to subscriber numbers, just the number of simultaneous concurrent logins.

We have no way in the world to relate the number of simultaneous concurrent logins to subscriber numbers.
So well over 1 million subscribers at launch. How many of those subscribed players do you really think is going to miss out on launch or the weekend, prime time right after launch? Use a little logic: a small fraction. Yes it's a guess, but given MMO gamer habits, it's a safe one. We're probably still batting around a million concurrent connections. Remember all of the lovely login queues on almost EVERY server?

And now we have these concurrent connections that measure in the low-end thousands. And I apologize, I misread your numbers in that thread. I actually OVERESTIMATED the number because I thought your two lists were unique, but instead they include a lot of the same servers. So instead of 25k, we're probably closer to 12-15k for the top ten servers. Add another 5k of dead server concurrent connections for good measure and you're still at 20k or less. That's 2% of a million.

Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
Could be that people are busy with finals. Could be that they're waiting for 1.3. Could be that they're playing Diablo. Could be that they're outside enjoying the lovely weather after being cooped up indoors all winter. Could be that they unsubscribed. We don't know and don't have any way to suss that out.
True. But let's remove the "waiting for 1.3" example, as there's no new content, so what's to wait for? There's probably still a good chunk of subscribers who are waiting for a huge change in TOR to ever bother playing again. I know I'm one of them.

Even if people are not on TOR because of those reasons, that's still 2% or so of what we experienced at launch.

If Blizzard lost 98% of their active, concurrent connection WoW numbers (note: I am NOT a WoW player) over the course of a couple months, we'd see not only a huge media storm, but a ton of work to get WoW players back. So what do we see with Bioware and TOR? Layoffs, a server-transfer-on-rails, and a VERY underwhelming 1.3. Not very impressive.

That's still a Titanic.

Naholen
06.07.2012 , 09:39 AM | #838
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
...we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers in order to provide a better gameplay experience for our players by ensuring population balance across the service.
I think a lot of people will be upset when they find out they can not move to populated servers like The Fatman, but are limited to a less populate server in the hope it will be fill it up.
In space no one can hear you scream.

TeHaR
06.07.2012 , 09:41 AM | #839
Quote: Originally Posted by Kubernetic View Post
From my reading, even high-population servers may become destination servers, as they'll be expanding the total user numbers.
The problem is the definition of high. Do you really think the will allow e.g. Fatman as a destination server? No way! The Server is already at its limits. They will not make the Top5 Servers destination Servers, for sure! What they fail to realize is that tons of people who rerolled there and just want their other toons on that server will NOT make the population grow. So they should allow transfers to this servers but only if you already have a char with a certain lvl or some chars that reach a certain legacy lvl there. Like for the free 30days sub. 1 lvl 50 or 2 lvl 30 or smth like that.
I want full servers really, but i DO NOT want 3 chars on 3 full servers, i want all my chars on 1 full server.

dacentabaal
06.07.2012 , 09:49 AM | #840
BW... you just couldnt make it easy could you? Im on the Trask Ulgo RP server, and I have in mind the Red Eclipse PvE server to transfer to...but that wont happen will it as the Red Eclipse server is the 2nd most populated EU server. I'm sorry... but i'd rather que 10-20 minutes each log on to play on a populated server with actual poeple, than log in straight away to a desert land with a few people at times. I'm just hoping that the Trask Ulgo server is one of those being targeted to transfer TO as I dont want to start over, re-name my legacy or even my character names as thats part of the character/backstory

As buggy and quiet the game is... I still love playing it, but I have a bad feeling that BW will somehow find a way to **** up even the simplest task of transfering a single charceter to another server

Legacy name: Buuro
Characters:
Rep side: Kal'ver - Vih'torr - Xill Imp side: Káidén - Zeronine - Tressk - C'ade -Tephros
█]╬╬╬╬╬╬(۝)ǁ█خ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
http://www.swtor.com/r/sdFwY8