Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rogoo
06.07.2012 , 08:36 AM | #801
Joveth, what is the plan for RP servers ?

Will we be allowed transfers from RP-PvP to PvP servers ?
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

Ramahospitality
06.07.2012 , 08:41 AM | #802
Quote: Originally Posted by Allbrass View Post
The big question is if people will able to get chars OFF of fatman. It's a refugee server but how many refugees would actually leave? ESPECIALLY INITIALLY when there are no stats or clues on where to go. Basically is there a way to do this without permanently killing the server? I've seen all the Poopskywalkers and trolls that I can stand.
Odds are you won't be able to leave Fatman because they don't want the population to dwindle from their top population server.

Kourage
06.07.2012 , 08:43 AM | #803
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Right now, we're just talking about the free character transfers - like it mentions in the blog, more options may become available in the future, but that's all we've said as of now.
I believe your company already stated paid transfers to the server of your choice is coming. They didn't say "may become available in the future". Your statement here is a bit worrisome. Almost sounds like paid transfers may not come at all, or take a very long time.

Quote:
Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

cipher_nemo
06.07.2012 , 08:43 AM | #804
Let me get this straight, Bioware.

1.) You're proposing a server transfer to ONE destination server, for all characters on the origin server. Transfer-on-rails. Limiting options for your users is always going to get some people POed.

2.) You won't transfer entire guilds on your end: we're left to our own means for recreating it, contacting customer service, etc. For a developer who had pre-built guilds auto transferred to servers at launch, that's not only odd, it's insulting.

3.) You have no system in place to allow for duplicate legacy/character naming. Blizzard does this by RealID, BattlTag, account name, etc. so anyone can name their characters whatever they like. And some developers allow duplicates by distinguish them with a secondary unique ID. TOR doesn't have anything in place. And since people are creating many alts to cover positions for group content on low population servers, we're left with a lot of names that could potentially clash.

4.) 1.3 still doesn't have a cross-server LFG tool. We're still limited to the server we're on for instanced content we want to PUG.

5.) Server transfers won't even begin to bring server populations closer to number of active players at launch. 3% of the players that were here at launch are still trying to make the best of a sinking ship (source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=449144). The math for active players is the concurrent numbers in this thread (25k total) plus the dead servers of a guessed 5 more thousand for an even 30k, which is roughly 3% of a million players, of which we had far more at launch. The numbers are all estimates on the conservative side.

6.) Even with merges, that's still a possible 10% of the players around any destination server when compared to server pops at launch.

Mark my words, this won't solve our LFG woes. It might only make it less painful for a while.

To truly solve this issue we need A.) free character transfers to any server, just like Rift has, and B.) a reason to keep playing (ie: content). My sub was already canceled for auto-renewal weeks ago, so I have until August. I don't foresee myself re-subbing to play a Titanic where only 3% of the people are still here, with fewer denying that it's sinking at all. History repeats itself.

Bioware, please tell me why you're shooting yourself in the foot again, while treating your customers like dirt? If you really wanted to halve your number of customers, there are much more efficient directions you can take.

Kourage
06.07.2012 , 08:45 AM | #805
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramahospitality View Post
Odds are you won't be able to leave Fatman because they don't want the population to dwindle from their top population server.
A lot of people who rerolled on The Fatman aren't 50 yet. Those players are highly likely to transfer their other character and play that instead of The Fatman. The Fatman will see a loss of activity.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

ScarletBlaze
06.07.2012 , 08:52 AM | #806
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
Question about the Guild Banks. When we recreate our guild on the new server and petition Customer Service to give us the bank we had on the previous server, will we get the items in that bank as well, or just the tabs we purchased?

Basically, I want to know if we should be moving everything from the guild bank we want to keep into Officer banks to ensure it gets transferred or if it's fine to leave it where it is.
I would just have the items transferred to the officers banks for safety unless bioware specifically state your items will be replaced on your new server. Better safety than taking a chance without sometthing specific from bioware on this issue.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

TUXs
06.07.2012 , 08:54 AM | #807
Hopefully this page moves a little slower today so my request doesn't get buried:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use the pre-launch guild system to set up our guilds on the TO servers PRIOR to our moving. The mechanics are there, the tweaking can't be that difficult.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Blackardin
06.07.2012 , 08:55 AM | #808
Have had my name for 15 years, through three or four long term games. I'm here with a guild that goes back about 4 years in wow. We all have our names.

Have you considered such possibilities as just tagging a name so that the player can keep it. I've suggested middle initials ("A" and "I" type not withstanding) as a means of allowing players to maintain names while distinguishing them for chat, mail, invitation purposes.

Consider this please. I know its a game breaker for me and I can already see the storm clouds brewing on the horizon over this issue.
May the Schwartz be with you....

Ramahospitality
06.07.2012 , 08:56 AM | #809
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Let me get this straight, Bioware.
3.) 1.3 still doesn't have a cross-server LFG tool. We're still limited to the server we're on for instanced content we want to PUG.
BioWare never said they where never doing Cross Server, though I hope they never do. Their hope is that, with the transfers and LFGs that ques will pop, once the populations settle, since the transfers are gonna screw things around for a couple weeks. After that, they even said they would monitor LFG results and, if ques aren't popping like intended, then they would reconsider Cross Server. They even came right out and said that they don't want cross server because it removes the prohibitions that players have about being "jerks" to each other since there is almost no possibility that they will ever be grouped together again.

islander
06.07.2012 , 08:57 AM | #810
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
I re-rolled on fatman in March, ive then since lvl'd 3 toons and established myself with the community, prior to release there were 2 groups of people i knew from a previous game, 1 group of us were placed on Wots and the other Fatman, upon WOTS dying i decided to join the rest of my friends on fatman.

Here's what im saying, by moving my old toons to fatman where i am actively playing (and with more than one guild ) will not increase the population anymore than it already is, forcing me to move my toons to another server is not the answer to balance the population on fatman, because i would rather stay there than go elsewhere.
I understand your dilemna. Understand Bioware's #1 priority is fixing server populations globally. By allowing "open season" transfers for players who have characters on any other server, they introduce other variables that can and likely would prevent then from accomplishing their goal.

They don't want just (let's say 30) servers with 20 healthy and 10 not. They want 30 healthy servers with equal distribution.

I'm only surprised they arent fully merging, but then again, they probably don't know HOW. So no point irritating the 10% of population who simply don't care about population they just want to stay where they are.
Gěllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five