Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HeawiNobal's Avatar


HeawiNobal
06.07.2012 , 07:54 AM | #791
Quote: Originally Posted by NuSeC View Post
+1 internets to you!

This is what I am thinking as well sir.

I rerolled to another server as everyone was saying to do and now I cant use my REROLL!!! That is not fair guys. I am tired of putting time into toons to only be left behind again... already been down this road.

I just spent 2 months on another toon only to be left behind again!!! ***!!

Say it aint so.
I only have 1 level 50 toon and another level 29 on a different server... I stopped playing the 29 when the population issues started because I knew there would be a fix coming somehow. Common sense would tell you that it would effect legacy as well. So the only toon I play is the 50. If I lose the 29, no biggie... just reroll him on the server that all my chars will be on.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

islander's Avatar


islander
06.07.2012 , 08:01 AM | #792
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
Quick question....

Do you think the people who have firmly secured themselves a more popular server will even want to play their old characters if they are not moved to the server said account owner is actively playing on?

I mean, why would someone want to go play on a server they have no desire to play on, when in fact the majority of people who found themselves on "dead servers" re-rolled ALONG time ago to a more populated server.

You have 2 choices, leave your new toons and play your old toons or ignore your old toons and play the new ones, you wont find many wanting to share their time and effort among 2 servers.

To fully benefit from the content this game provides, it is nice to have 1 of each class on both imp and rep sides.
My old server has my 4 Rep toons, my new server has 3 Imperial toons (all 50's), why should i need to re-grind a whole new 4 republic toons or 4 more imperial toons depending on my destination?
To answer your question, I'd say "It depends on whether or not you'd be happy on your current server, or your old one transferred over".

You know how I'll continue answering this. You should've quit the game like I did (effectively speaking) and picked up another while we "waited" for transfer information months ago. Additionally, Bioware will HAPPILY take your money and transfer your characters to your choice of servers - once the dead server transfers are taken care of first.
Unfortunately, because Bioware took way, way, WAY too long to get this going...the free transfer portion of this process will take weeks - no months.

I personally told my entire guild not to re-roll elsewhere, because I've been to these rodeos a few times and I know how these things typically go.

I'm not trolling here, I'm just being honest. Everyone who re-rolled to Fatman, Candorous Ordo, Ajunta Pall, Jedi Coveneant, Harbringer AFTER the initial server transfer announcement came had to know there was at least the risk of this happening.
As a guildmaster of a formerly huge guild, I decided it was better to have friends quit, then be in a situation like you and others are in now. At least the people who quit 1-2 months ago didn't quit mad. They'll come back once they learn about transfers. mostly.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Kaigen's Avatar


Kaigen
06.07.2012 , 08:07 AM | #793
Question about the Guild Banks. When we recreate our guild on the new server and petition Customer Service to give us the bank we had on the previous server, will we get the items in that bank as well, or just the tabs we purchased?

Basically, I want to know if we should be moving everything from the guild bank we want to keep into Officer banks to ensure it gets transferred or if it's fine to leave it where it is.

psi_overtake's Avatar


psi_overtake
06.07.2012 , 08:07 AM | #794
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
To answer your question, I'd say "It depends on whether or not you'd be happy on your current server, or your old one transferred over".

You know how I'll continue answering this. You should've quit the game like I did (effectively speaking) and picked up another while we "waited" for transfer information months ago. Additionally, Bioware will HAPPILY take your money and transfer your characters to your choice of servers - once the dead server transfers are taken care of first.
Unfortunately, because Bioware took way, way, WAY too long to get this going...the free transfer portion of this process will take weeks - no months.

I personally told my entire guild not to re-roll elsewhere, because I've been to these rodeos a few times and I know how these things typically go.

I'm not trolling here, I'm just being honest. Everyone who re-rolled to Fatman, Candorous Ordo, Ajunta Pall, Jedi Coveneant, Harbringer AFTER the initial server transfer announcement came had to know there was at least the risk of this happening.
As a guildmaster of a formerly huge guild, I decided it was better to have friends quit, then be in a situation like you and others are in now. At least the people who quit 1-2 months ago didn't quit mad. They'll come back once they learn about transfers. mostly.
I agree with this. What seems to be the only ways of working this out are:

1) Bioware opens up transfers for low pop and very high pop servers to transfer to a middle server. The same high pop servers are open every time to transfer FROM, so all have the opportunity to re-unite their toons.

2) You wait until paid transfers come out so you can move your high pop toons to where you want.


I don't think there're any other ways.
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

AceMcVeer's Avatar


AceMcVeer
06.07.2012 , 08:15 AM | #795
So does this mean that if I am not on one of the chosen few servers then I will have to give up my character names because someone played 5 min of the trial version and never even bought the game? Fail.

EverQuest at least gave you a chance at it. You would get your name over the existing character if the existing character was a trial account, was under a certain level, or hadn't logged in a certain period. This at least let someone that had spent 30+ days of play time building up a character keep there name vs some level 1 placeholder or trial account that's never coming back.

psi_overtake's Avatar


psi_overtake
06.07.2012 , 08:17 AM | #796
Quote: Originally Posted by AceMcVeer View Post
So does this mean that if I am not on one of the chosen few servers then I will have to give up my character names because someone played 5 min of the trial version and never even bought the game?
Did they ever directly address this? No. They'll probably comment on it within the next 5 days, though.

That said, I absolutely agree with your point.
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

skarr_tor's Avatar


skarr_tor
06.07.2012 , 08:24 AM | #797
I would be very dissapointed if Uthar Wynn will not be on the initial list, it's one of the deadest server possible

Last night 9pm: 9 empire online, 1 on fleet (me)

noodlenoodle's Avatar


noodlenoodle
06.07.2012 , 08:28 AM | #798
Half of all accounts created by purchasing the game are dead, plus untold scores of friend trials & freebie weekends holding names frozen like Han in carbonite.

They need to get rid of the cruft and pseudo-voluntary merges-but-not-merges will do very little towards that.

Scotland's Avatar


Scotland
06.07.2012 , 08:29 AM | #799
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
To answer your question, I'd say "It depends on whether or not you'd be happy on your current server, or your old one transferred over".

You know how I'll continue answering this. You should've quit the game like I did (effectively speaking) and picked up another while we "waited" for transfer information months ago. Additionally, Bioware will HAPPILY take your money and transfer your characters to your choice of servers - once the dead server transfers are taken care of first.
Unfortunately, because Bioware took way, way, WAY too long to get this going...the free transfer portion of this process will take weeks - no months.

I personally told my entire guild not to re-roll elsewhere, because I've been to these rodeos a few times and I know how these things typically go.

I'm not trolling here, I'm just being honest. Everyone who re-rolled to Fatman, Candorous Ordo, Ajunta Pall, Jedi Coveneant, Harbringer AFTER the initial server transfer announcement came had to know there was at least the risk of this happening.
As a guildmaster of a formerly huge guild, I decided it was better to have friends quit, then be in a situation like you and others are in now. At least the people who quit 1-2 months ago didn't quit mad. They'll come back once they learn about transfers. mostly.
I re-rolled on fatman in March, ive then since lvl'd 3 toons and established myself with the community, prior to release there were 2 groups of people i knew from a previous game, 1 group of us were placed on Wots and the other Fatman, upon WOTS dying i decided to join the rest of my friends on fatman.

Here's what im saying, by moving my old toons to fatman where i am actively playing (and with more than one guild ) will not increase the population anymore than it already is, forcing me to move my toons to another server is not the answer to balance the population on fatman, because i would rather stay there than go elsewhere.

Allbrass's Avatar


Allbrass
06.07.2012 , 08:33 AM | #800
The big question is if people will able to get chars OFF of fatman. It's a refugee server but how many refugees would actually leave? ESPECIALLY INITIALLY when there are no stats or clues on where to go. Basically is there a way to do this without permanently killing the server? I've seen all the Poopskywalkers and trolls that I can stand.