Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Han-Helsing
06.07.2012 , 05:53 AM | #771
Please tell me you guys are shutting down a lot of servers, this transfer will be pointless if your just going to spread the population out because the population isn't big enough to fill hundreds of servers, for this to be a viable option and allow the game to progress and increase subscription numbers then many of the servers needs to be merged.

I'm not sure if the infrastructure of the servers are designed that they could turn 10 servers into 1 but use all the server clusters to run that single server without lagging everyone out.

BUT for the survival of the player base, MERGE a lot of the servers and improve the stability and handling of them.

I dont want to be on a server than dies just a month after the first load of transfers!
Ben-Helsing 'I Always Deliver My Bounty'
Han-Helsing 'The Sith Will Rise to Power'
----------------------
DOWNSEY

Ulran
06.07.2012 , 05:54 AM | #772
Once again we have been sold a "magic" bean...

Basically when I started playing I had 2 options, play with a RL friend or play with some of my old WOW friends. I picked the wrong one, and want to transfer to the same server as my WOW friends. I'll check the transfer page after they go live, but the chances of me being able to transfer to the same server as my friends is minimal especially considering i'm on a RPPVP server and they are on a PVE server.

Now if manage my expectations I'm going to have to pay for the transfer which i'm fine with. However this is the quote from your update.

Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee. While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service, we are committed to making improvements to the Character Transfer Service over time to provide players with a great gameplay experience. Stay tuned to www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com for more details!"

MAY!?!?!? Surely you have a rough idea how long the main process of server transfers is going to take? It's got to be something along the lines of number of expected transfers divided by maxium capacity of transfers achiveable per day = expected time of the transfer project.

Now i'm doing to use the word WILL & NOT which you lot really need to do more of. If the free transfer does NOT move me to the server my friends are on, and a specific server is transfer is not announced with dates by the time my August subscription is due I WILL NOT renew my subscription as I WILL NOT waste my time on a server which my friends are NOT on. I WILL renew once the feature is available assuming I'm still intrested in the game.
Xerxies Powertech Server: Lord Calypo RP-PVP EU

Pompeia
06.07.2012 , 05:56 AM | #773
I am worried about the concept of: several origin servers moving to one destination server - because i am on 2 dead servers. One for republic, the other for empire. Since my servers are close together on the list, its possible that I would have to move both (16 chars) to the same destination server, wich of course is not allowed.

Will other destination servers be opened for free transfer later?

What will we do if both our servers are to merge to the same destination server?

hillerbees
06.07.2012 , 06:09 AM | #774
Quote: Originally Posted by Menthro View Post
Now just the waiting game to find out if my server is getting the ax. If it is, I will personally hunt down and slaughter anyone with my primary's name and my guild's name on my new server. Their spleens shall be mine!
I like your style!

Adrianna
06.07.2012 , 06:14 AM | #775
Quote: Originally Posted by Menthro View Post
Now just the waiting game to find out if my server is getting the ax. If it is, I will personally hunt down and slaughter anyone with my primary's name and my guild's name on my new server. Their spleens shall be mine!
You and I are on the same page, I like it!
banana

Stovokor
06.07.2012 , 06:19 AM | #776
Quote:
If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service. This is not an automatic process and you will have to contact Customer Service directly.
Thanks for clarification regarding guild bank. Inventory transfer is automatic i take it. What about individual storage locker of each character ? Would that transfer over ? Is there a process involved similar to guild bank. Some clarification on this would be appreciated.
Stovokor
Honey Badgers | Hidden Fortress

Wound in The Force | The Bastion

CenoKrefey
06.07.2012 , 06:23 AM | #777
Bittersweet news. Not supporting guild transfers is a bad mistake. This should be like guild banks: a manual process guild masters initiate through customer service. Use the same system of the pre-launch guild program. Have members prompted to join upon first login to new server (after the guild has been reformed on the new server).

BashFall
06.07.2012 , 06:37 AM | #778
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
Wouldn't that make a huge difference in the legacy xp? What I mean is you can reach Legacy level 1 way quicker than Legacy 50 right?
Not if I remember correctly. For legacy 1 it was 240K for legacy 2 it was 241K etc.

So giving up a level or 2 should counter-balance that difference.
Corellia Run:Two - Lvl 50 Assassin / Sixy - Lvl 50 Shadow \ Se'cond - Lvl 50 Vangaurd \ Third - Lvl 50 Sniper \ Sixie - Lvl 50 Maurader -The Sixx Legacy-
The Fatman:Two-Too - Lvl 47 BH / Sixy - Lvl 50 Shadow -The Valen'tine Legacy-

-Backdraft-
06.07.2012 , 06:48 AM | #779
Awesome work! This made my day. At least you made on customer really really happy today. Keep up the good work and i'm sure you guys will do a great job about the server transfer! I'm 100% sure that you guys know what your doing and I think it's going to work out well on the transfer day!

Reenox
06.07.2012 , 06:49 AM | #780
The main thing im worried about is i play on an RP-PVP server, and their is only three servers of this type.
I play on the English server and their are also two others a French and German Laugauge, which discounts these out from merging. Their are eight other RP servers in total (well in other words RP-PVE) but as Bio-ware have stated no transfers will be made from PVP to PVE.

So my question is where does this leave us?

They will either do two things

Give us the option to transfer to a RP server....i dont think they will be transfering from other RP servers to ours because of the PVP part of our RP server.

Or they will give PVP servers the option to transfer to our RP - PVP which i hope they dont do. Players that choose an RP option in their server , are a different type of player that would choose PVP servers. In my opinion if they go down this road it kill the community on our server.