Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kindara's Avatar


Kindara
06.06.2012 , 06:09 PM | #611
Quote: Originally Posted by Egalatae View Post
thats what happens on forums though isnt it? I see it all the time especially on MMO champ, someone doesnt agree, you argue, next thread, you agree... you dont quite say sorry or get on as such, but you cut the sh*t and co-op to make a point.
Dont take that as me accusing you of anything by the way, i have no intention of it.

Just generally when someone decides their gunna quote eveything you've said in each small paragraph, and just throw as much opposition as possible to every point you make, you feel like you're being trolled.
Not to mention labelling something i personally feel quite passionate, and at the same time, annoyed about as "garbage", i'm bound to take offense to it.
This is my opinion
It doesnt match yours (as in yankfan whatever)
Doesnt mean its FFA to sh*t all over my post.

Bioware have done something i'm not happy about
I personally believe they could find that little bt of extra effort to accommodate guilds better out of goodwill to those who have stuck with this game in what has been fairly trying times for them.
Does that give some guy the right to pull my posts apart in some hopeless attempt to get me to admit i'm wrong?
Opinion cant be wrong. Just different.

Funny thing is, as much as i'm developing a sense on contempt for Bioware and EA, i cant help but constantly tell my wow guild how brilliant this game is. In every aspect i think its far better than WoW by miles, with maybe the odd thing they could adopt, trivial little things mostly.
More out of hope they'll "come to the light" and plat SWTOR
I can see what your saying and im not happy about how they'r ehandling transfers either. I like the game, I do like bioware but I think their leaders for the choices with the MMO is going down a dark and dangerous path in not being upfront and clear about equality for all players when it comes to the transfers. Even if its a sit tight we are doing more after this for free and doing them this month I'd be happy with that. But no they pretty much leave us in the dark like they have multiple times. Its pushed me to far. If they can't be clear and can't be fair I can simply take my dollars somewhere else. DDO is coming out with an expansion this month and I've not played in a while. While it doesn't offer some of the things SWTOR and other Big MMOs like its atleast enjoyable.

Im not in a guild at this moment but I have been with bioware & swtor since they first did pre orders hell even before that....and it'd just be nice to know that I"ve not been giving them money for them to not give a damn about me and only worry about those on the dead servers. I do think those on dead light servers should get a priority to get moved first but they're not being clear that everyone is going to get a chance to better their enjoyment of the game by moving servers. Its not just about the population but sometimes the type of people your on a server with.

Bioware needs to be more open and forthcoming with their plans instead of simply telling us to stay tuned all the time. Either get it all out at once to let it digest or dont say anything at all. The reactions will be the same in the end with a whole lot less enragement due half *** information.

Glzmo's Avatar


Glzmo
06.06.2012 , 06:09 PM | #612
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Many guild leaders have contacted us with their concerns about coordinating their guild members in preparation for the free character transfer service and I wanted to take some time to explain how this process will work.

In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.

As we mentioned in our blog, the character transfer service will be made available gradually, starting with a small number of origin servers and adding more until all servers eligible for transfer are available in the service. We know everyone is excited for the opportunity to transfer their characters, but it is critical that we do this gradually to ensure both a smooth transfer as well as a great player experience on the destination servers.

Eligible servers will be listed as they become available for transfers at www.swtor.com/transfer, which will go live on Tuesday. This is to prevent potential server load issues.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process.

Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice.

We hope that this clarifies any confusion.
So basically, the origin servers that will be eligible first are the ones you're planning to close first. Why not just automatically merge the servers in the first place, if you only allow transfer from one server predetermined server to another one that's also pre-determined anyway? That would speed up the process of getting rid of the lowest population servers greatly.

JefferyClark's Avatar


JefferyClark
06.06.2012 , 06:13 PM | #613
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
So basically, the origin servers that will be eligible first are the ones you're planning to close first. Why not just automatically merge the servers in the first place, if you only allow transfer from one server predetermined server to another one that's also pre-determined anyway? That would speed up the process of getting rid of the lowest population servers greatly.
Was kinda thinking the same thing.... if it's servers W, X, and Y that get free transfers into server Z, then why not just merge those servers into Z and be done with it? The end result is the same and would only require a database merge, plus, it doesn't leave you with a server with untransferred characters.

HelinCarnate's Avatar


HelinCarnate
06.06.2012 , 06:15 PM | #614
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
So basically, the origin servers that will be eligible first are the ones you're planning to close first. Why not just automatically merge the servers in the first place, if you only allow transfer from one server predetermined server to another one that's also pre-determined anyway? That would speed up the process of getting rid of the lowest population servers greatly.
Because it is much easier to transfer just the current players and make sure everything works compared to transfer everyone and end up with issues. You also have fewer naming issues this way. If you are Bob and Bob is already taken on your new server you could change to Joe. But if there is already a Joe on your old server that does not play anymore, you end up having to pick yet another name if it were a full merger vs keeping Joe with a transfer.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

kanare's Avatar


kanare
06.06.2012 , 06:16 PM | #615
beacuse their scared of loseing chars with the same name / over righting them atleast on moveing them they can cheak beacuse the move them so no char is over written

loadtime's Avatar


loadtime
06.06.2012 , 06:16 PM | #616
I understand that this is the way things had to go down. The active player base is spread out and this really is the best way to fix it.

I really appreciate the community team's effort in this thread in answering questions, you clarified a couple of things that worried me about the service, and I hope you'll be just as much help to my lingering questions.

Prior to game launch I was involved in the per-launch guild program, I pre ordered early and was in with the 2nd wave of head start folks on the server that my guild was assigned to. I had scheduled vacation to be part of the game's launch and primarily to finish my character creation by finishing chapter 1 and locking in my legacy name.

Looking at how this process is designed there is a very high chance that I will lose the names of my characters and my legacy.

I understand that I am under no obligation to transfer if my server is selected as an origin server, but I would be left with a choice of remaining on a dead server or of losing my identity, an identity that took a reasonable amount of effort to secure.

Also is this just a stepping stone to the future "mega servers" that were mentioned in a couple of interviews last month? If it is, how will that be done? Will these new servers replace the servers we are on, or will everyone need to transfer again?

noodlenoodle's Avatar


noodlenoodle
06.06.2012 , 06:20 PM | #617
Server merges=BioWare needs to sort out naming conflicts.

Server transfers=Players need to sort out naming conflicts because "they did it to themselves" *coughcough*

(quotes for emphasis, not to imply an actual quote.)

HelinCarnate's Avatar


HelinCarnate
06.06.2012 , 06:22 PM | #618
Quote: Originally Posted by loadtime View Post
I understand that this is the way things had to go down. The active player base is spread out and this really is the best way to fix it.

I really appreciate the community team's effort in this thread in answering questions, you clarified a couple of things that worried me about the service, and I hope you'll be just as much help to my lingering questions.

Prior to game launch I was involved in the per-launch guild program, I pre ordered early and was in with the 2nd wave of head start folks on the server that my guild was assigned to. I had scheduled vacation to be part of the game's launch and primarily to finish my character creation by finishing chapter 1 and locking in my legacy name.

Looking at how this process is designed there is a very high chance that I will lose the names of my characters and my legacy.

I understand that I am under no obligation to transfer if my server is selected as an origin server, but I would be left with a choice of remaining on a dead server or of losing my identity, an identity that took a reasonable amount of effort to secure.

Also is this just a stepping stone to the future "mega servers" that were mentioned in a couple of interviews last month? If it is, how will that be done? Will these new servers replace the servers we are on, or will everyone need to transfer again?
Yes, you could lose your name. Get over it. Plenty of ways to modifiy it so that it looks similar.

http://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes...-alt-codes.php

Devs never mentioned mega servers, this was assumed by players. They will be able to increase the cap on existing servers so that say Fatman (random example) will now look to be standard when before it would be full.(also random examples as I do not have the exact numbers and am not quoting anyone)
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

HelinCarnate's Avatar


HelinCarnate
06.06.2012 , 06:23 PM | #619
Quote: Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
Server merges=BioWare needs to sort out naming conflicts.

Server transfers=Players need to sort out naming conflicts because "they did it to themselves" *coughcough*

(quotes for emphasis, not to imply an actual quote.)
Naming confilcts are sorted. The first one on the server with that name gets it.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

BashFall's Avatar


BashFall
06.06.2012 , 06:31 PM | #620
They should of done it by e-mail so you could have as many HanSolo's as you wanted per server. Hence no naming conflicts
Corellia Run:Two - Lvl 50 Assassin / Sixy - Lvl 50 Shadow \ Se'cond - Lvl 50 Vangaurd \ Third - Lvl 50 Sniper \ Sixie - Lvl 50 Maurader -The Sixx Legacy-
The Fatman:Two-Too - Lvl 47 BH / Sixy - Lvl 50 Shadow -The Valen'tine Legacy-