Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

danpen
06.06.2012 , 04:43 PM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by jwmourglea View Post
All of my characters are on one low pop server. Can I move my entire stable in one go or do I have to file 8 individual character transfer requests?
you will have to do all 8 but not at the same time sorry that will take a lot of time to do all so do 1 at a time will be the best thing ti do don't you think..

I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

Woetoo
06.06.2012 , 04:43 PM | #512
I appreciate this comment is going to get lost amongst the huge number of other posts here.

But I have 2 concerns.

1. We have some friends who wanted to join our server originally but with the initial large queues at launch and Bioware pointing the way to the new servers - they went elsewhere (their primary language isn't English, which made the choice slightly easier). Now that both their guild and our are mere shadows of what we were at launch - those friends that remain playing were hoping to join us. Whilst we might get lucky... it does still seem very much luck and that doesn't feel right.

2. There seems to be a clandestine / piecemeal approach to server transfers. Opening the transfer window on a group of low population servers (I assume) to a higher population server (or two). But without actually announcing future transfer windows and what servers they will cover. I worry that a person a Server-A who wants to go to Server-B will be offered a transfer to Server-C and either jump ship immediately for fear of being left on a dead server or wait in the hope that at some time in the future, transfers will be opened to Server-B. Either way, a lack of upfront knowledge may lead to a "wrong" choice being made.

I can see Bioware's dilemma. Players are sheep. Unimaginative sheep. But there are going to be players out there who ended up on a server that wasn't their first choice at launch and are going to end up repeating that again.
(Yes, I know, paid transfers are coming - but asking players to pay to fix something primarily caused by Bioware seems underhanded)

This line intentionally left blank
Darth Baras: I do not appreciate your doubt. I expect unwavering respect at all times.
I actually laughed out loud.

My SW:TOR Passions : SWTOR is F2P in name only - Varied Choices Within FPs/Ops - Cross Faction Guilds - Better Guild List Panel

Menthro
06.06.2012 , 04:44 PM | #513
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Many guild leaders have contacted us with their concerns about coordinating their guild members in preparation for the free character transfer service and I wanted to take some time to explain how this process will work.

In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.

As we mentioned in our blog, the character transfer service will be made available gradually, starting with a small number of origin servers and adding more until all servers eligible for transfer are available in the service. We know everyone is excited for the opportunity to transfer their characters, but it is critical that we do this gradually to ensure both a smooth transfer as well as a great player experience on the destination servers.

Eligible servers will be listed as they become available for transfers at www.swtor.com/transfer, which will go live on Tuesday. This is to prevent potential server load issues.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process.

Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice.

We hope that this clarifies any confusion.
This bears repeating, this needs to be reposted every couple of pages because I see alot of people thinking they are going to swap destination servers and go lawl sux to be u! I dug through this juggernaut of a thread to find this for you guys be happy.
Peace through firepower. Lots of firepower.

Troopers lead the way!

Robcoyote
06.06.2012 , 04:45 PM | #514
On my original server (Which I'll call A), I reached a lvl 30 Legacy (Say I called it AA), with a few unlocks of character races, class Heroic Moment Abilities, emotes and companion completions. But the server went ghosttown.

I re-rolled on a higher pop server (Which I will call B), and now have a lvl 7 Legacy (Say I called it BB) on there, with the unlocks from the single class I've been playing long enough.

Free transfers come in, and A turns out to be an origin Server with a Destination of B, so I transfer a couple of my characters from A to B.

I understand that my Legacy BB will be overwritten by Legacy AA, but the way the blog is stated, it seems as if Legacy BB will become a lvl 30 one, with all the unlocks of AA, but it's name will stay as BB. Is this correct?

What happens if BB has some unlocks that AA does not have (such as different races at 50, class story completions and companion completions...or perhaps I managed to get a higher social rank on a character on B than I did on A)? Do they get completely overwritten by AA, or do those unlocks merge with the unlocks from AA, and I end up with a legacy that has the unlocks of AA and BB, the level of AA and the name of BB? (I hope that makes sense and isn't too confusing)
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to be an earth shattering KABOOM!

GiovanniD
06.06.2012 , 04:45 PM | #515
Does anybody know if you'd be able to move from American servers to Euro servers or vice-versa?

CompassRose
06.06.2012 , 04:45 PM | #516
Quote: Originally Posted by YanksfanJP View Post
And you'll have the opportunity to do exactly that at a later time, for a fee, just like other games.

What you and the dude above don't seem to understand is that this consolidation is ONLY meant to fix population issues, not to enable you to go to wherever you want to go. The "choice" you want is a later step, that, not surprisingly, comes later.
If by 'wherever you want to go' you mean the only other server someone has toons on.
Compass Rose --'Crowd Control'

Spreadsheet Guide to level your crew skill to 400

HelinCarnate
06.06.2012 , 04:45 PM | #517
Yeah, there is a guarantee, since each group of origin servers will only have one destination server. There's nowhere else they can end up as long as they don't procrastinate. Sounds to me like you don't know what you are talking about.
Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process. We don't want to promise a destination in case it may change.

Quote taken from here
http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-...ations-and-you
You were saying?
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

bloodroyal
06.06.2012 , 04:45 PM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by Jimer_Lins View Post
Having to reform guilds and potentially losing your name is going to be a gamebreaker for many.
this, plus turning hard modes into easy mode

Kindara
06.06.2012 , 04:45 PM | #519
Nobody's getting the shaft. If you want to move to a higher pop, you can. If you want to stay on a ghost town server, you can. You're only better off than you were, not worse.
People who are on servers not selected to moved off of or those who are on server that simply want to change server types are gettting the shaft. There's only free transfers talkeda bout for moving people to repopulated servers of the same type.

I'm getting the shaft. Everyone pays 15 dollars everyone should get a 1 time move even if its limited to only a couple of servers of different types. IF your an Rp server you should get an RP server, PVE, and PVP server to choose to go to not just an RP server

YanksfanJP
06.06.2012 , 04:45 PM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by Egalatae View Post
You're not getting it are you?

Why, when they dumped our entire guild on the same server on the same day on release, can they not dump our entire guild, roughly within the same week on a new server?
Why, when this is a BW mess, do players have to clean it up off their own effort and initiative, by finding each other again?
By at least moving the GM and/or officers together, they can make some attempt to move the guild bank with them, and keep everything together and fairly streamlined.

Their process just makes things alot less efficient.
And its added bol**x to deal with when quite frankly, many of us have already had enough.

Is it too much to ask for some customer service to go with your product?

Because that would add a bunch of development time to the mix and they want to get this rolled out sooner. You make it seem like it's SOOOOOOOOOO hard to just reform a guild on the server you end up when all it takes is "/w Egalatae Hey, ginvite me please, I just transferred over." It's gotta be the easiest thing in the world for you to do. Sorry that it takes a minimal effort by you, but if sending a whisper to your guild leader for a re-guildinvite is the hardest thing about this whole process, you'll live. You do know how to send a whisper to another player, right? If not, you can probably use vent, mumble or even your guild forums.
I'm not arrogant. I'm just aware of my greatness.